Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

(Original post by sophie !)
    I've always liked the idea of Business. A few friends are doing it too which will make it more fun. My brother has a GCSE in it and my dad has a degree in it, so they can help me if need be.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ah that seems like a good choice It's kind of like how I chose geography, but I do love history and was close to choosing it. It's a pity I couldn't do both :sad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Black Rose)
    Ah that seems like a good choice It's kind of like how I chose geography, but I do love history and was close to choosing it. It's a pity I couldn't do both :sad:
    I had the chance to do both Geography and History, but I didn't particularly want to. I'm not crazy about History - it doesn't interest me. Everyone has their own view!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I recommend you pick HISTORY.
    Although at first I wasn't so enthusiastic about my choice, but I eventually started to enjoy it.
    Mind you, the workload is quite tideous, and expect a LOT of essays.

During the first couple months, I wasn't so keen on learning History GCSE because I thought it just wasn't for me - I wanted to change GCSE.

Good thing I didn't! History is a very GOOD subject, and I strongly suggest you pick it!
    Depending on your exam board (mine was OCR Modern History) the content is relatively interesting.

Being very good at English would also help. I'm a straight A student in English , so it was quite easy for me.
    Don't worry though, because you could always change your chosen GCSE (if your school offers to do so).

What grades do you achieve in English?

ReputationRep:
    HISTORY

It's the subject I learnt most in. You will learn basics of important period in modern history which may come up in everyday life conversation.
    It's not only the knowledge you will learn. You will strengthen your essay skills and evaluation of sources etc which are quite useful skills to have.

And this is coming from a science lover who still dislikes history. I don't like history, but I think it was a precious experience and I don't regret the choice.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MoniC255)
    I recommend you pick HISTORY.
    Although a first I wasn't so enthusiastic about my chose, I eventually started to enjoy.
    Mind you, the workload is quite tideous, and expect a LOT of essays.

During the first couple months, I wasn't so keen on learning History GCSE because I thought it just wasn't for me - I wanted to change GCSE.

Good thing I didn't! History is a very GOOD subject, and I strongly suggest you pick it!
    Depending on your exam board (mine was OCR Modern History) the content is relatively interesting.

Being very good at English would also help. I'm a straight A student in English , so it was quite easy for me.
    Don't worry though, because you could always change your chosen GCSE (if your school offers to do so).

What grades do you achieve in English?
    Sorry, I've actually picked now (Geography and Business), but to answer your question I get a lot of A-minus' in English.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophie !)
    Sorry, I've actually picked now (Geography and Business), but to answer your question I get a lot of A-minus' in English.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Aha, no worries! My twin picked Geography and said the case studies can be VERY boring. Other then that, I think you would thoroughly enjoy it. And also it's a very good subject too so you're not losing out.
    That's very good, keep it up! By the time you reach the end of year 10 or even mid-way through you'll be getting A*'s! Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry about looking well rounded or versatile, as if a college or university wanted that they'd ask about your hobbies in interviews. First of all, check that it's GCSE business as a lot of people sign up for it and realise they're doing a BTEC. Second, you're already doing some demanding subjects, so art which has a lot of coursework might just add to the workload. However, if you think you can manage it then an upside to art is their exam is earlier in the year, so you don't have to worry about it and can focus on your other subjects. Media seems like it's interesting and certainly something that is current. You'd probably like this as in some aspects it's like art, but not as much coursework. Remember not to pick your subject based on the teachers, as you might not end up with them or they could be better than thought. Music might be a hard one as usually the people who excel in that subject are usually up to around grade 5. As for history, it sounds like you're doing really well but at the end of the day you don't want to spend 2 years studying a subject you don't really enjoy. Also, you're already doing a humanity so you'd still qualify for the EBacc. Sorry this is so long, good look with choosing!

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.