Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dalek1099)
    Has anyone on here self studied Additional Further Maths?-how did it go?did it help with STEP?(I'm presuming so because the harder modules have harder more advanced questions that are actually university level so should be good prep for STEP and it helps cover over areas you haven't really studied in enough depth to answer questions on in STEP like I only will have done S1 and people on here told me I should at least look over S2 and surely Mechanics questions would be easier having done M4/M5 and it also gives you something to do to prepare for STEP whilst you don't know whether you will get an offer/interview asking you for STEP(studying straight away for STEP completely would thus be inadvisable although some study would be useful))how did you cope with prerequisite problems like needing to self study M4 but you won't have finished M3 until too late at college-I'm not sure about what order my second year modules will be so I'm not sure how this will work I know I can do S2-S4 how I like because I have done S1 but I want to spread modules of the same type over the year so I don't forget how to do statistics.

I really want to do Additional Further Maths because it will be helpful for my application and STEP because universities like self-study and also very helpful for university because a lot of course have a lot of statistics options and I have only done S1 and statistics is really useful especially for Meteorology which relies on knowing the probabilities of certain types of weather/storms occurring.I also know that due to module rearrangement if I work really hard for Maths/Further Maths they should be able to bail me out if I do bad at Additional Further Maths.I am not sure how much support I would get for Additional Further Maths/STEP but I know I could ask my teachers if I got stuck on a topic in Additional Further Maths/ a problem in STEP.

Would you recommend it? and do you think I should do AS or A2 which would be 3 or 6 modules.If I did AS I wouldn't have to worry with any prerequisites because I could S2-S4 and I could avoid D2 which I feel would be a nasty module to do having to possibly do it without knowing a lot of D1 because I won't have been introduced to the Decision Maths world-I know I really struggled with Mechanics 1 at first because I couldn't get to grips with the concepts and that was taught.
    im self studying them. this year i did c1 c2 s1 fp1 m1 m2. next year ill be sitting fp2 fp3 m3 m4 m5 c3 c4 s2 s3
    Badically all my modules require c3 c4 so im doing that now.All the mechanics modules require previous ones except for m5 which requires the previous knowledge and fp3 integration knowledge. I will be doing fp3 m3 fp2 before november. Step 3 requires m4 m5 fp3 fp2 Knowledge and fp1. just get the module conten done quickly. Ive started step prep now doing questions i have the knowledge to do now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    also tell your teachers youve learnt it and they should let u study m4 m5 whilst they learn m3. My teachers are cool like that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    im self studying them. this year i did c1 c2 s1 fp1 m1 m2. next year ill be sitting fp2 fp3 m3 m4 m5 c3 c4 s2 s3
    Badically all my modules require c3 c4 so im doing that now.All the mechanics modules require previous ones except for m5 which requires the previous knowledge and fp3 integration knowledge. I will be doing fp3 m3 fp2 before november. Step 3 requires m4 m5 fp3 fp2 Knowledge and fp1. just get the module conten done quickly. Ive started step prep now doing questions i have the knowledge to do now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not going to do D1 D2 S4 to get a full A2 in Additional Further Maths?-I have to do D1 at my college so I only have to force myself to learn D2.Getting the module content done is easier said than done, the Statistics chapters look very long

My college will offer help with STEP/Additional Further Maths I am possibly thinking of getting my teachers to give me STEP questions based on what I cover with the head of maths at my college, so I'm learning STEP concurrently but I will still have to self-study most of Additional Further Maths and STEP due to the large amount of self-studying and the need to fulfill most prerequisites for the study of Additional Further Maths and STEP questions, I will fully start smashing STEP papers from March and hope to finish just before the main exams and leave a few papers to do a week or two before the STEP exams.

ReputationRep:
    Not going to do D1 D2 S4 to get a full A2 in Additional Further Maths?-I have to do D1 at my college so I only have to force myself to learn D2.Getting the module content done is easier said than done, the Statistics chapters look very long

My college will offer help with STEP/Additional Further Maths I am possibly thinking of getting my teachers to give me STEP questions based on what I cover with the head of maths at my college, so I'm learning STEP concurrently but I will still have to self-study most of Additional Further Maths and STEP due to the large amount of self-studying and the need to fulfill most prerequisites for the study of Additional Further Maths and STEP questions, I will fully start smashing STEP papers from March and hope to finish just before the main exams and leave a few papers to do a week or two before the STEP exams.
    na cant be bothered with decision and s4. I have no help with school for step or my extra modules or fp3 . so im learning pretty much everytging by myself.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    na cant be bothered with decision and s4. I have no help with school for step or my extra modules or fp3 . so im learning pretty much everytging by myself.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Your college sounds nasty or my college sounds nice because all of my teachers would pretty much give all of their free time to help us study, for any exams related to their course and offered a lot of revision sessions(my head of maths offered 4 a week I think).

ReputationRep:
    Your college sounds nasty or my college sounds nice because all of my teachers would pretty much give all of their free time to help us study, for any exams related to their course and offered a lot of revision sessions(my head of maths offered 4 a week I think).
    my school dont give **** lol. They only teach m3 s2 s3 d1 and fp2. The rest is self study if you want to sit them. But i wont learn of the teachers anyway cause im gna have to start early so i would be lagging in front of everybody else.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.