Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I have 7 weeks to get a first in family and criminal law, any advice? Watch

• PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Spot the stuff that's obviously contentious and ripe for reform. With family not much isn't, but stuff like pre-nups, care proceedings and unmarried couple habitation rights (Stack et al.) seem obvious.

For Criminal I think it's just really knowing your **** in all the areas and knowing the underlying theories behind it all.

They both have plenty of contentious subjects, which is good, though 85 is off the charts, not sure you can get that in an exam without some kind of supernatural intervention (or shagging your lecturer).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GrandPessimist)
    I am not sure I get what you mean.

One of my flatmates had glandular fever and could not sit two of his exams so he had a serious reason.

Generally, I would like to think that the vast majority of universities are strict with their deferral policies. I highly doubt that anyone who told their Extenuating Circumstances Panel that they couldn't sit the exam because they were insufficiently prepared for it was actually granted a deferral! You need to have an important reason why you are not fit to sit the exam. And that would be a medical reason I presume or something equally serious, like a death in the family, or other illness to a member of the family, or diagnosed mental health conditions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I meant that my impressions of what happens when people are sitting exams during the summer have been formed from people on TSR referring to having to resit, since they are the ones I have come across, that's all. It was my impression that summer exams were for people taking them second time around or, as you point out, those who missed them the first time for some serious reason. I gained the impression that resits were capped at 40%, but my expertise stops at getting people actually into universities. Beyond that, I have little experience beyond my own university days and those of my children, to whom none of this applied.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carnationlilyrose)
    I meant that my impressions of what happens when people are sitting exams during the summer have been formed from people on TSR referring to having to resit, since they are the ones I have come across, that's all. It was my impression that summer exams were for people taking them second time around or, as you point out, those who missed them the first time for some serious reason. I gained the impression that resits were capped at 40%, but my expertise stops at getting people actually into universities. Beyond that, I have little experience beyond my own university days and those of my children, to whom none of this applied.
    Oh, I see now!

Yes, resits are capped at 40%. At my university at least! I have a former classmate who is at Nottingham, and she insists that resits are marked at 100%, but I very much doubt that!! Not capping them would be unfair to those who worked hard to do very well the first time.

Are you working in the recruitment process?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Oh, I see now!

Yes, resits are capped at 40%. At my university at least! I have a former classmate who is at Nottingham, and she insists that resits are marked at 100%, but I very much doubt that!! Not capping them would be unfair to those who worked hard to do very well the first time.

Are you working in the recruitment process?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well, sort of. I'm a teacher. Sixth form tutor. Spent 26 years of my life processing Ucas applications.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carnationlilyrose)
    Well, sort of. I'm a teacher. Sixth form tutor. Spent 26 years of my life processing Ucas applications.
    That sounds like a nightmare!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    That sounds like a nightmare!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not really. It becomes second nature, and it's always interesting to see where they want to go and to share the wait for offers.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.