Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Free the nipple vs. ban page three Watch

ReputationRep:
    No one profits of toplessness on the beach - The Sun makes money of sexualising women's bodies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingBradly)
    The difference between them is mainly figurative and arbitrary. In the end, what it should simply come down to is that if you can't handle seeing a pair of chebs, you're an inadequate human being.
    Most men car handle it :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    The distinction is fairly simple between the two campaigns although they are actually complementary. One has to do with the objectification and sexualization of women being a means for profit. This is mainly by feminists who see the sexualization as de-normalizing woman's bodies and making their expose always a sexual experience. Similarly, but a slightly different approach, is the free the nipple campaign which is about re-normalizing women's bodies. It seems that the idea behind the campaign is repeated exposure in non-sexual contexts would serve to reduce the idea that women's bodies (particularly their chests) are sexual and something which must be covered at all times unless being intimate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SnoochToTheBooch)
    I don't know, are the shirtless men trying to make a point?
    The point is to be the same/similar to men (not to mention that the genitals are considered far sexual than the chest). So how is it hypocritical?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RandZul'Zorander)
    The point is to be the same/similar to men (not to mention that the genitals are considered far sexual than the chest). So how is it hypocritical?
    The first thing I found when googling 'Femen' says it's about women being treated like sex objects. Like either their whole body is a 'sex object' or it isn't, I don't see why the degrees of sexiness for each body part matters. Just seems like they'll go some of the way but not all the way and I'm wondering what their reasoning is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SnoochToTheBooch)
    The first thing I found when googling 'Femen' says it's about women being treated like sex objects. Like either their whole body is a 'sex object' or it isn't, I don't see why the degrees of sexiness for each body part matters. Just seems like they'll go some of the way but not all the way and I'm wondering what their reasoning is.
    Not really sure why you would start by googling 'Femen'. Femen is its own independent group and the campaign is not exclusive to them. The campaign has many aims and goals some of which may be stressed more by different groups who agree more with some than others. You can see an example of the many approaches (both positive and negative) here.

To say either their whole body is a 'sex object' or it isn't is obviously inaccurate and demonstrably false. You can have certain parts be sexually objectified and others not. Think with men the penis as opposed to their chest. Of course sexualized and sexual objectification are two different things but thats not really the point. As I've already said the campaign is one of equal treatment. Why can men do this thing and women can't? Another reason why people stop at de-sexualizing the genitals is because of their 'essentialist' relationship to sex acts. It's not very hard to think of reasons why the campaign would be so limited.

ReputationRep:
    they should support free the nipple, not the "oppression of the nipple" (trying to get page 3 banned)

ReputationRep:

Guys, let's create our own annoying group against this scandalous objectification of the male body, blah blah, rape culture, blah, matriarchy, blah blah.

Oh wait! we don't care.:rolleyes:
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    So there's no issue with women being topless as long as no men are enjoying seeing a woman topless. I get it

ReputationRep:
    I believe the human body is a beautiful thing and page 3 does a mighty fine job of agreeing with me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by limetang)
    So there's no issue with women being topless as long as no men are enjoying seeing a woman topless. I get it
    /feminism

ReputationRep:
    How this is a discussed issue is beyond me quite honestly but here is my 2p
    In Western Countries, in general, ignoring super religious groups, female nudity is accepted if not encouraged! It is the same as women (in general) love seeing Channing Tatum take his top off in films! He has a nice body and they appreciate it!

This goes for MEN too! Men love the female form so much that they want to objectify it, own it! This gives women a fair bit of power! How many times have you heard a guy utter these words "I'd do anything to spend 5 minutes with her!"

I wish women talked about me like that! And yet someone somewhere has to make this a bad thing?!

This of course is ignoring the whole Middle Eastern situation on this, that is their problem, NOT OURS!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.