Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Who was the best player in the world cup? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Rodrigues or hummels. Messi was miles behind them both.

ReputationRep:
    Neuer.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely Messi. Easily man of the tournament, by far the best player of all time. He has won everything, and after tonight he has proven himself as the best ever footballer. No one else comes close. Except maybe Cristiano Ronaldo, really amazing player, his shooting technique is absolutely spectacular.

ReputationRep:
    I think what's awesome about the German team is that they don't really have a star player, they just have so many quality players, and they aren't selfish and try to hog the ball for glory, they'll just think about the team. I mean, just look at the World Cup winning goal, who was that young goal scorer? He's not that famous, but that finish was great. And are people like Kroos and Khedira famous like Neymar, Messi, Suarez, Pirlo and Ronaldo? Yet, within their teams, they are beast players.

ReputationRep:
    Mourinho and Wenger both said Robben

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DH1')
    They would be correct. He played with the energy of a 21 year old. If you look at his tournament, nobody got near to him really. He created and scored and changed the tempo of the game whenever the ball came to his feet. He's the main reason I felt bad for Holland going out

ReputationRep:
    Neuer, for a GK to stand out so much he has to be pretty damn good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by propagation)
    I thought Pirlo played good in the limited games he played.
    You joker you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by h3isenberg)
    You joker you
    No I am being serious, he set the tempo of most of the games, created some great set-ups and nearly scored a free-kick.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by propagation)
    No I am being serious, he set the tempo of most of the games, created some great set-ups and nearly scored a free-kick.
    :erm:
    You sure you don't mean Kroos?

Pirlo was absent against Costa Rica and not very effective against Uruguay. Although that is credit to both those teams defending and not letting him have enough space. Only against England did he have an influence on the game because we didn't deal with him.

Also David Luiz actually scored a free kick so therefore he should be the best player of the tournament?

ReputationRep:
    Neuer or Robben for me

(Original post by DH1')
    Wow, high praise. Surprised Wenger went with Robben, wasn't so complimentary about him after Arsenal-Bayern.

ReputationRep:
    surprised it was robben with the amount of dives, the little tw*t

ReputationRep:
    Fred.

ReputationRep:
    James, Robben, or Muller. But certainly not Messi. That was just ridiculous! Ideally James as he was good in every single match he played unlike the other 2 who had a couple of average matches.

ReputationRep:
    Gervinho. SRS.

ReputationRep:
    I think it was Messi.

Especially in the earlier stages of the game, Argentina was a clear of example of a team that relied on just one player. They wouldn't have been able to qualify from the group, let alone get to the final had he not been able to step in and rescue them so often. Argentina didn't get a single goal without him either scoring it, or architecting it in some way. He created so many goalscoring opportunities (more than anyone else in the World Cup, if I've read correctly), and can hardly be blamed for his teammates' failure to convert them. The one he played for Di Maria (just before he got injured) was perhaps the best ball of the tournament.

I still think that Messi's performance was "disappointing" at times, in the sense that we've always been used to seeing him scoring ridiculous amounts of goals, getting away from defenders as though they aren't there etc. and he looked seriously below par, considering the expectations that would have been on him. But I still can't think of anyone else with actions as decisive as his.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Mascherano, Neuer or Rodriguez.

ReputationRep:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.