The Student Room Group

Is intelligence [REALLY] attractive?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I'd say it might be a bonus. But perhaps you're using "intelligence" as a rationalisation for just finding hot guys who happen to be clever attractive. You can pretend it's something more.

The reality is that most things are learnt through hard study or experience, e.g. studying maths on a degree and studying your textbooks hard, or practicing your guitar a lot or something.

They are not learnt through just being in a relationship with a mathematician or musician or whatever.
Not really, as long as they're reasonably intelligent then that's enough for me. Them being super smart doesn't add any attraction points.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
I like it when a girl's intelligent, since that opens the door for really satisfying conversation, but I wouldn't say I was attracted to it.
Original post by Arithmeticae
You callng me dumb fam? :holmes:

God no! You're the one who did the unnoficial markscheme for the core science exams- my savior!

When did I even right this...
Depends really. I tend to like smart guys, but if he was like Sheldon I'd smother him in his sleep.
Original post by ✈ ✈
I do hope you realise that taking a MFL at GCSE level is a total joke right? They are inexcusably easy. Take it from me, I have learnt multiple languages to a fluent standard and GCSEs don't even teach you to string a sentence together.

I appreciate your interest in my post, however if MFL at GCSE standard didn't teach the correct vocabulary or give you the ability to 'string a sentence together' explain how I recently, and successfully, did a 4-week exchange in Germany and survived? They spoke no English and I was fine. In fact- I'm far from fluent. Meh, the MFL department in my school is amazing and I do a lot out work out of school so maybe that's it. Every school is different I suppose. Apologies if I've misunderstood your point.
Original post by Anonymous
dumbest thing i've heard in a while.

on a sidenote: thanks for the replies!

I find languages attractive- how is that dumb?:confused:
Ability in STEM (excluding Biology) is attractive for me
I probably wouldn't consider a girl who wasn't intelligent and ambitious. Difference is, I don't think intelligence exclusively relates to grades.
(edited 9 years ago)
:smile:
I'm the type of girl that loves smart guys, and when I say smart guys I mean really really smart guys and that's the biggest thing for me. Most of my mates think I'm stupid, some of them say the biggest thing is looks/charm/personality but for me its definitely intelligence. Is this weird? Are there any other girls/boys like me?

A bit about myself without giving too much away:

I'd like to think of myself as being smart also and there are so many good looking guys that are just..not smart and to me I see them being boring, maybe this is me being shallow but everyone has their own boxes to tick right?

And by intelligence I don't mean like the geek that won't talk to anyone ever, I mean someone that has to ability to show off how smart he is in a conversation as well as getting top grades, there are some people that are hugely intelligent but crumble when it comes to a conversation, those aren't the guys I'm into.

LOL i completely agree
I'm the type of girl that loves smart guys, and when I say smart guys I mean really really smart guys and that's the biggest thing for me. Most of my mates think I'm stupid, some of them say the biggest thing is looks/charm/personality but for me its definitely intelligence. Is this weird? Are there any other girls/boys like me?

A bit about myself without giving too much away:

I'd like to think of myself as being smart also and there are so many good looking guys that are just..not smart and to me I see them being boring, maybe this is me being shallow but everyone has their own boxes to tick right?

And by intelligence I don't mean like the geek that won't talk to anyone ever, I mean someone that has to ability to show off how smart he is in a conversation as well as getting top grades, there are some people that are hugely intelligent but crumble when it comes to a conversation, those aren't the guys I'm into.

I think you've hit upon the truth there. It isn't so much about being smart, as showing intelligence socially. I'm not especially smart, but I am knowledgable. I'm very good at pub quizes, I just like learning things, I come out with random facts all the time. And I think if you play that right, as a guy, it does attract women. If you play it wrong you can just sound like a know-it-all dick, which I do a lot too.

Of course, intelligence is a very debateable thing, and you are really saying is you want academic and social intelligence, which is the important combination, as it makes you interesting to most people. While you may place a higher emphasis on academic intelligence than most people, it doesn't sound that unconventional.
Original post by ImagineCats
I find languages attractive- how is that dumb?:confused:

They're so hot.

Intelligence is attractive, but need to have some grounding first.
Original post by L'Evil Fish
They're so hot.

Intelligence is attractive, but need to have some grounding first.

Touché!
Everyone has different preferences when it comes to what you find attractive. There are a lot of very intelligent guys out there who crumble and can't take a conversation like you say and that is probably because most really intelligent people are very introverted people.

Knowing lots about many different subjects does not "necessarily" mean you are intelligent too, I would say someone like that could be more wise than actually intelligent. Someone could have average intelligence yet be able to speak for their country and seem like they know a lot but really they have not ever delved deep into any subject.
Nope also smart girls are OP, hot girls are where it's at better relationship, more fun etc.

Don't wanna be nagged at all day srs
Original post by ImagineCats
I appreciate your interest in my post, however if MFL at GCSE standard didn't teach the correct vocabulary or give you the ability to 'string a sentence together' explain how I recently, and successfully, did a 4-week exchange in Germany and survived? They spoke no English and I was fine. In fact- I'm far from fluent. Meh, the MFL department in my school is amazing and I do a lot out work out of school so maybe that's it. Every school is different I suppose. Apologies if I've misunderstood your point.

I think you may have answered your own question there!

Assuming the exchange was organised through your school, the MFL teaching standard there is going to be high enough in order to prepare students to the level required for them to undertake such a long exchange.

I've explained my background, and my mother is also a teacher, who in turn knows teachers blah blah, so I can tell you that your school is in the vast minority.

Then again it is down to the students, the teachers and the school are not going to put much emphasis or effort into teaching foreign languages if the students have no intention of learning them. When I did my A Levels my sixth form cancelled Spanish because there were only 3 students who had applied to take it.

Sad situation. This is going to leave the UK in a vulnerable position as international business becomes more critical to the prosperity of a country. I have seen a lot of students who do not have a very good grasp of the English language, let alone introducing them to another one.
Original post by ✈ ✈
I think you may have answered your own question there!

Assuming the exchange was organised through your school, the MFL teaching standard there is going to be high enough in order to prepare students to the level required for them to undertake such a long exchange.

I've explained my background, and my mother is also a teacher, who in turn knows teachers blah blah, so I can tell you that your school is in the vast minority.

Then again it is down to the students, the teachers and the school are not going to put much emphasis or effort into teaching foreign languages if the students have no intention of learning them. When I did my A Levels my sixth form cancelled Spanish because there were only 3 students who had applied to take it.

Sad situation. This is going to leave the UK in a vulnerable position as international business becomes more critical to the prosperity of a country. I have seen a lot of students who do not have a very good grasp of the English language, let alone introducing them to another one.

Tell me about it! Less and less people are taking languages, and in my school only 30 took german, 35 took french and idk about spanish. Thankfully, for the year 9's choosing this year they HAVE to take a language. That's bizarre about the cancellation of Spanish- we have A2 classes of one-to-ones or two students, that must be heart-breaking to be told you can't take an A Level language due to the minority of students in the class :frown: That's so fascinating that your mother is a language teacher! I taught a year 7 class French and German which felt amazing, being a teacher overall must be fantastic
Original post by fnatic NateDestiel
Nope also smart girls are OP, hot girls are where it's at better relationship, more fun etc.

Don't wanna be nagged at all day srs

I don't get why being intelligent makes you a nag. It doesnt make sense to base a relationship on looks. Especially if it is to last.

Personally I find wiseness, inventive/creative thinking the holy grail of intelligence. If you can interweave your knowledge on the spot and make it meaningful, it is just way too sexy.

What I don't find sexy is just parroting facts and statistics. I don't think that takes intelligence. Just a good memory.

Thickness is just a turn off. No stimulation for conversation at all. Boring. Unchallenging.
(edited 9 years ago)
dumbest thing i've heard in a while.

on a sidenote: thanks for the replies!
Really dumb. I'm a bilingual UCL Biology grad. Didn't take a GCSE in MFL. Half the people with a MFL GCSE can't string a sentence together in the language.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending