The Student Room Group

Did you go to/enjoy your uni graduation?

Scroll to see replies

Firstly, it actually didn't occur to me that graduation was optional at some (most?) unis (I'm pretty sure we weren't given the option of not attending ours). But

Original post by Numberwang
but I'd be really nervous and don't think it's for me - too expensive and very staged.

Just go along and get your family some pictures etc. I enjoyed mine, partly because of how traditional it was, as well as that it's just nice to have a serious event to mark a big occasion like graduation. I'm not sure they're all so ceremonious. Apparently some just involve hours in a hall watching different people shake a guy's hand. Either way, you don't need to like it. If your mum wants you to go, for the sake of one day, just suck up the expense and go.
Original post by jelly1000
How comes you have two at Oxford?

Coz 21 terms after you start, you can pay a small nominal fee to upgrade your BA to an MA. So you get a second ceremony :yes:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Coz 21 terms after you start, you can pay a small nominal fee to upgrade your BA to an MA. So you get a second ceremony :yes:

Oh i see
Original post by EveandElla
Mine was not typical. I had been though a whole series of foster placements and finally into a Children's Home so I didn't have any family to come to the ceremony. My best friend from my home town was my only guest. But I am pleased I attended, it had been a difficult three years with money problems (due to the Local Authority not doing what they promised and what they were required by law to do BTW) and endless issues over where I was supposed to live during the holidays. I was proud that I had made it through to the end with an upper second. I couldn't afford to have proper photos done but I have a couple that my friend took for me.

I was thinking about this thread only yesterday. In a strange way the graduation summed up what it is like not having parents in your life. There were so many happy families around on the day that I felt rather cheated that I had zero family to come to my moment of glory.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending