Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Who is the best player in the premier league/who will have the best season next year? Watch

• View Poll Results: Best player in the premier league
    Sanchez
    7.26%
    Ozil
    6.45%
    Hazard
    12.90%
    Mata
    1.61%
    Diego Costa
    2.42%
    Daniel Sturridge
    4.84%
    Raheem Sterling
    3.23%
    Robin Van Persie
    4.03%
    Vincent Kompany
    3.23%
    John Terry
    1.61%
    Fabregas
    4.03%
    Mertesacker
    0.81%
    David Silva
    1.61%
    Sergio Aguero
    8.87%
    Yaya Toure
    34.68%
    Other
    2.42%

ReputationRep:
    Last season it was Suarez. (Who has just gnashed away from the premier league)

But we can't really predict who'll shine this season, not yet at least. World Cup form can't be used as an indicator for the following season because most players' club mates aren't their international team mates. Also, all Premier League clubs have yet to start pre-season. Wait until after pre-season (and the community shield) and we'll get a better idea of who'll be the best

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheBallWinner)
    Not being funny but only a Liverpool fan would put Sterling in that list.

On a personal level, Hazard.

Suarez before he left. Now it's probably Yaya Toure.
    I'm not a liverpool fan. Sterling was forefront in their title challenge imo, more so than Suarez. In fact while Suarez scored a lot of goals vs the minnows, Sturridge and Sterling were the big game players who won games for them regularly(Sturridge vs United, Sterling vs City)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam278)
    Did you watch Chelsea the whole of last season?

All Willian does is run around the pitch, does a few stepovers then when he's in a position to score or set somebody up he misskicks the ball. His goal and assist tally is terrible for a reason.

Hazard was the guy pulling the strings for everything. While adding defensive work to boot. Willian is essentially an attacking version of Ramires.
    You aren't giving Willian nearly enough credit, just as most people don't. His pass completion rate was 85% and he made the second highest number of key passes in the league, coming just behind David Silva. His defensive output is very impressive, too, beating everyone close to him in the key passes table when it comes to tackles and interceptions.

ReputationRep:
    Also, Aguero, Hazard and Sturridge are getting quite little votes compared to what they should get imo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pane123)
    You aren't giving Willian nearly enough credit, just as most people don't. His pass completion rate was 85% and he made the second highest number of key passes in the league, coming just behind David Silva. His defensive output is very impressive, too, beating everyone close to him in the key passes table when it comes to tackles and interceptions.
    You're using stats like pass completion. Arteta, Joe Allen should therefore be in the conversation then right? Oscar has a similar pass completion rate, Hazard was tracking back, while pretty much being the sole focus of our attacking play, because Willian et al wasn't good enough, it's no coincidence that when Hazard burnt out, so did Chelsea's title challenge. 4 goals and two assists in 24 appearances as well. He had 45 shots and scored 4 goals. That is a terrible record for an attacking midfielder who's supposed to be creating goals. Key passes is a flawed stat as well.

Willian has good defensive output, hence why I said he's an attacking version of Ramires.

ReputationRep:
    I said Sterling. With Suarez gone, he has to step up. That's a scary thought for the rest of the league. He enthuses the crowd when he's on the ball, and is just brilliant. Yaya Toure and Hazard are close second and thirds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jammy4041)
    I said Sterling. With Suarez gone, he has to step up. That's a scary thought for the rest of the league. He enthuses the crowd when he's on the ball, and is just brilliant. Yaya Toure and Hazard are close second and thirds.
    Personally think Coutinho will be the one doing the Suarez role. Sterling is a different player to him.

Sturridge will be the main man for Liverpool next season too.

ReputationRep:
    You're using stats like pass completion. Arteta, Joe Allen should therefore be in the conversation then right? Oscar has a similar pass completion rate, Hazard was tracking back, while pretty much being the sole focus of our attacking play, because Willian et al wasn't good enough, it's no coincidence that when Hazard burnt out, so did Chelsea's title challenge. 4 goals and two assists in 24 appearances as well. He had 45 shots and scored 4 goals. That is a terrible record for an attacking midfielder who's supposed to be creating goals. Key passes is a flawed stat as well.

Willian has good defensive output, hence why I said he's an attacking version of Ramires.
    I am using stats like pass completion in combination with other important stats.

The only weak area in Willian's game was his goal scoring/shot conversion rate. You say Hazard tracked back then criticise Willian as an attacking mid, so what position did Hazard play if not AM? I ask because Willian made twice the number of tackles Hazard did, and in far fewer appearances. Just because someone is called an attacking midfielder doesn't mean they will play the role you expect them to, i.e. scoring and creating.

Willian also isn't the worst dribbler and is an above average crosser of the ball. He is a superb box-to-box midfielder and I fail to understand your criticism of him.

ReputationRep:
    I am using stats like pass completion in combination with other important stats.

The only weak area in Willian's game was his goal scoring/shot conversion rate. You say Hazard tracked back then criticise Willian as an attacking mid, so what position did Hazard play if not AM? I ask because Willian made twice the number of tackles Hazard did, and in far fewer appearances. Just because someone is called an attacking midfielder doesn't mean they will play the role you expect them to, i.e. scoring and creating.

Willian also isn't the worst dribbler and is an above average crosser of the ball. He is a superb box-to-box midfielder and I fail to understand your criticism of him.
    Hazard played as an AM/Winger, same as Willian.

He's not meant to be a box to box midfielder, we had Ramires and David Luiz to play that role. At Shaktar he was a playmaker who had a free role. Box to box midfielders aren't supposed to have as free a role as Willian either. To call him a box to box midfielder is essentially saying, he's not got the best playmaking skills, can't assist, can't score goals but he runs around a lot.

I know Willian is the better at tracking back, but Hazard can track back and actually do stuff in the other end of the field. Willian can't. It's similar to Ramires. Willian has no composure in the final third and it's frustrating to watch simple crosses and simple layoffs for a guy of his level not reaching his man. I'd go as far to say that Schurrle is a better player than Willian, seriously.

ReputationRep:
    Based on last year it would be Yaya, but as a Chelsea fan I have to go for Hazard - man doesn't start crying at every little thing, at least. Fam gets noticeably better every year imo and this year he should be able to stake a very real claim for being the best player.

Aguero a beast as well, but he's had a really injury prone year (even by his standards). Honourable mention to Ramsey for playing a great few months of football, if he can do that all next season as well and hit 20+ goals then sure, he'll be a real candidate for player of the season. Sanchez, Costa, and Fabregas not worth considering yet, not until they've actually put some real minutes in for their new clubs to see what level they're going to play at. Could all be flops or all be epic.

Obviously Ozil not even worth mentioning, unless we're throwing in Torres as well :pierre:

ReputationRep:
    Hazard played as an AM/Winger, same as Willian.

He's not meant to be a box to box midfielder, we had Ramires and David Luiz to play that role. At Shaktar he was a playmaker who had a free role. Box to box midfielders aren't supposed to have as free a role as Willian either. To call him a box to box midfielder is essentially saying, he's not got the best playmaking skills, can't assist, can't score goals but he runs around a lot.
    Calling him a box to box midfielder is saying that he's a decent dribbler, a good tackler, a good interceptor and a pretty good crosser. That's only if you base it on reality, which you seem to be refusing to do. You said we will see Hazard flourish with the addition of certain players and the same is true of Willian.

Most of your comment seems like it should be a criticism of the manager for playing Willian like he did, rather than of Willian himself.

ReputationRep:
    Calling him a box to box midfielder is saying that he's a decent dribbler, a good tackler, a good interceptor and a pretty good crosser. That's only if you base it on reality, which you seem to be refusing to do. You said we will see Hazard flourish with the addition of certain players and the same is true of Willian.

Most of your comment seems like it should be a criticism of the manager for playing Willian like he did, rather than of Willian himself.
    But that is not supposed to be his role, he is playing as an attacking midfielder and it's causing Hazard to bear 90% of the creative responsibility because he's not a good passer, or as good a dribbler. We have other players who are capable of doing Willians role. Schurrle e.g. and he has a much better eye for goal.

Willian is not a good crosser either. Oscar is, but Willian is not a good crosser. You have not watched him.

The system doesn't help either. But Willian is not more important for Chelsea than the guy who bears 90% of the teams attacking play in a defensive pragmatic side that struggles to score goals.

ReputationRep:
    But that is not supposed to be his role, he is playing as an attacking midfielder and it's causing Hazard to bear 90% of the creative responsibility because he's not a good passer.

Willian is not a good crosser either. Oscar is, but Willian is not a good crosser. You have not watched him.

The system doesn't help either. But Willian is not more important for Chelsea than the guy who bears 90% of the teams attacking play in a defensive pragmatic side that struggles to score goals.
    I have watched him. A lot. I don't understand why people claim other people don't watch football when they have absolutely no idea whether or not it's true.

And who isn't a good passer? Willian clearly is.

ReputationRep:
    I have watched him. A lot. I don't understand why people claim other people don't watch football when they have absolutely no idea whether or not it's true.

And who isn't a good passer? Willian clearly is.
    In the final third his end product is shocking, which is why his goal and assist output is so terrible. That includes things such as passing, crossing etc. So to say he's a good crosser is pretty farcical.

In the middle third when he's under less pressure and there's players close to him to link up to he's great at that. He's great at running at people and is a goodish dribbler(does a few stepovers but doesn't really get past defenders in tight spaces like Hazard does but he's good at dribbling nonetheless)

Chelsea try to use other people, but we just end up using the pass to Hazard tactic because he's the only reliable guy when it came to our attacking play last season(since we sold Mata)

ReputationRep:
    Add to that the dozens of terrible corners I've seen from Willian that fails to get past the first man.

ReputationRep:
    In the final third his end product is shocking, which is why his goal and assist output is so terrible. That includes things such as passing, crossing etc. So to say he's a good crosser is pretty farcical.

In the middle third when he's under less pressure and there's players close to him to link up to he's great at that. He's great at running at people and is a goodish dribbler(does a few stepovers but doesn't really get past defenders in tight spaces like Hazard does but he's good at dribbling nonetheless)

Chelsea try to use other people, but we just end up using the pass to Hazard tactic because he's the only reliable guy when it came to our attacking play last season(since we sold Mata)
    Yet Oscar finished with exactly the same number of assists as Willian, despite playing more games.

ReputationRep:
    Going off last season
    Toure

Overall something like
    Aguero (if he stays fit)
    Toure
    Van persie (if he stays fit)
    Silva (if he stays fit)
    Hazard

ReputationRep:
    Yaya

ReputationRep:
    Yet Oscar finished with exactly the same number of assists as Willian, despite playing more games.
    What does that have to do with my point?

I said Oscar is a better crosser, not that he's a better passer than Willian, because he's not.

Matter of fact is that Hazard is a better attacking midfielder than Willian. I'm not going to argue this point.

ReputationRep:
    Also I admit I made a mistake, since I wanted to add defenders I didn't include Ramsey, but he deserves an honourable mention.

Also AR_95, how comes you voted for Terry? Interested to see why. While he's the best defender in the league, is he the best player?

Did you watch Chelsea the whole of last season?

All Willian does is run around the pitch, does a few stepovers then when he's in a position to score or set somebody up he misskicks the ball. His goal and assist tally is terrible for a reason.

Hazard was the guy pulling the strings for everything. While adding defensive work to boot. Willian is essentially an attacking version of Ramires.
    As I said for the lols, I should have voted Aguero

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.