Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Just thought I'd introduce myself. I'm tom, 21 and I'm also on the mSc in bioscience technology and living in Wentworth. I wondered if any of you who have been at York before how much of a commitment is joining a sports team. At my undergrad uni it was 3-4 sessions a week and just wondered how York compares. Also what's the general standard of the teams ?

Be nice to meet some of you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Youdale92)
    Just thought I'd introduce myself. I'm tom, 21 and I'm also on the mSc in bioscience technology and living in Wentworth. I wondered if any of you who have been at York before how much of a commitment is joining a sports team. At my undergrad uni it was 3-4 sessions a week and just wondered how York compares. Also what's the general standard of the teams ?

Be nice to meet some of you
    Hey Tom! I'm 25 and returning to York after graduating last year to study Social Work! I played football for one of the colleges and we had training twice a week and a competitive game every week with the occasional friendly thrown in here and there. There's not that much commitment needed especially if you want to play for Wentworth as their teams are generally poor anyway haha not that I'm amazing or anything but I fancy my chances of making one of the 3 teams when are you moving to York then?

ReputationRep:
    Ah thanks, that doesnt sound too bad. My undergrad uni was Loughborough and i flipped between rugby league and football at various uni levels so was pretty intense at some times. Fancy something more casual so if Wentworth not amazing may have a shot aha. Moving up in September, or when my let starts really! Been to York but dont really know much about the uni to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    Didn't notice this thread until today!

I'm studying Politics, Philosophy and Economics as an MA and I did my undergraduate at Kent in History!

I've lived in Yorkshire half of my life and know York pretty well after visiting many times, but whilst in the South I adopted a very Southern accent so I might sound a bit out of place

Planning on joining a few societies when I get to York, hopefully Lacrosse (I played for a while at my undergrad University) and the PEP society

ReputationRep:
    Hi there! Looking forward to meeting some of you soon.

I'm moving from America (so mellie220, you and I will both sound out of place XP) to come to York for Forensic Speech Science. I've been to England a few times as an undergraduate, but I hope to meet people soon, since I'll be so far from home.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mellie220)
    Didn't notice this thread until today!

I'm studying Politics, Philosophy and Economics as an MA and I did my undergraduate at Kent in History!

I've lived in Yorkshire half of my life and know York pretty well after visiting many times, but whilst in the South I adopted a very Southern accent so I might sound a bit out of place

Planning on joining a few societies when I get to York, hopefully Lacrosse (I played for a while at my undergrad University) and the PEP society
    I doubt you'll sound out of place, when I visited the university and went on a campus tour, everyone I spoke to sounded like they were from the south Which was a funny contrast to all the Yorkshire accents I heard in town.

Plus there will be lots of internationals and people from other European countries

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kaizzu)
    I doubt you'll sound out of place, when I visited the university and went on a campus tour, everyone I spoke to sounded like they were from the south Which was a funny contrast to all the Yorkshire accents I heard in town.

Plus there will be lots of internationals and people from other European countries
    Haha I hope so! I had the issue of going to a Southern university and having an extremely Northern accent so I sounded really out of place!

I can't wait, the thing I love about the postgraduate community is that it's so diverse!

ReputationRep:
    Good to see so many other people that I can meet soon!

I'm studying Forensic Speech Science (MSc and hopefully onward to a Ph.D); I'm from America, and I'll be up there around the middle of September. I've visited York once, last year in the summer, but I grew up in the desert (Las Vegas), so I'll need help adjusting to the cold!

Looking forward to meeting you all!

ReputationRep:
    Haha I hope so! I had the issue of going to a Southern university and having an extremely Northern accent so I sounded really out of place!

I can't wait, the thing I love about the postgraduate community is that it's so diverse!

Everyone at my uni was southern and said i sounded northern so your not alone, so hope your not saying a northern accent is bad! You said you may do lacrosse earlier, i know weird question but you have any idea how expensive memberships are etc?

ReputationRep:
    Everyone at my uni was southern and said i sounded northern so your not alone, so hope your not saying a northern accent is bad! You said you may do lacrosse earlier, i know weird question but you have any idea how expensive memberships are etc?
    Hahaha, nah I like the Northern accent - I'd be doomed if I didn't as all of my family are Northern!

Unfortunately not, I was hoping someone could answer that for me! I read that club membership is free so I'm guessing you just buy the equipment? Luckily I've already got a Lacrosse stick so at least I won't have to buy that! Either way, it seems like sport is quite cheap at York, at my undergraduate University it was so expensive...

ReputationRep:
    Hahaha, nah I like the Northern accent - I'd be doomed if I didn't as all of my family are Northern!

Unfortunately not, I was hoping someone could answer that for me! I read that club membership is free so I'm guessing you just buy the equipment? Luckily I've already got a Lacrosse stick so at least I won't have to buy that! Either way, it seems like sport is quite cheap at York, at my undergraduate University it was so expensive...
    Aha that's alright then, anyway its not broad northern.

I can't imagine it being free but ill take your word for it! All on you now if there fees! also where you read that i couldnt find much on sport at all ha!? Tell me about it was really expensive, basic equipment i'm fine for its buying kit all over again im not fancying...

Thanks for help btw sorry for bugging you ha

ReputationRep:
    Aha that's alright then, anyway its not broad northern.

I can't imagine it being free but ill take your word for it! All on you now if there fees! also where you read that i couldnt find much on sport at all ha!? Tell me about it was really expensive, basic equipment i'm fine for its buying kit all over again im not fancying...

Thanks for help btw sorry for bugging you ha
    That's what I thought as well, but the postgraduate/undergraduate prospectus says that it's free to join clubs (although I imagine you have to pay for gym/3G access)... I guess York allocates a lot of spending to sport?

It's not unheard of it being free though, even it were like £20 joining fee at York it'd be fine! At minimum it used to be like £60 just to join a sport at my undergrad University and then all the equipment was extortionately priced as well as requiring an overpriced gym pass for a gym that didn't even have a swimming pool...

ReputationRep:
    That's what I thought as well, but the postgraduate/undergraduate prospectus says that it's free to join clubs (although I imagine you have to pay for gym/3G access)... I guess York allocates a lot of spending to sport?

It's not unheard of it being free though, even it were like £20 joining fee at York it'd be fine! At minimum it used to be like £60 just to join a sport at my undergrad University and then all the equipment was extortionately priced as well as requiring an overpriced gym pass for a gym that didn't even have a swimming pool...
    Ah okay thanks guess just find out when i get there . But if anything is free i wont complain

But yeah i been paying over £100 membership it was crazy. But at least the gym came with a pool , just reminded me i'll have to look at gyms, hopefully ones on campus. I probably should have looked at that stuff more aha! Going to feel weird not having a clue where i am ha

ReputationRep:
    Ahhhhhh.... cheers! Basically it makes no real difference :P

ReputationRep:
    I'm studying post-colonial literature and did my undergrad at york. I just love york that much! Well, as well as the fact that the only other place I could do my degree is my home town and I want another season rowing with the same girls.

Just in response to the sport thing - clubs are definitely not free. That's a really bizarre thing for them to have printed. Prices do vary between clubs though but if you email the president you'll get an answer on your sport now. Email addresses are on college/yusu website.

If anyone's interested in campus gyms (just to point you in the right direction) the sports centre is on hes west and has a really vast weight room with about 8 power racks, a good erg room, a lot of warm up/ down equipment but other cardio machines are old and fairly crap.

Sports village is 2 years old, pool, steam room, jacuzzi, sauna, massive amounts of cardio machines with touch screen tvs, less free weights. You can get a double membership if you want.

I wouldn't even consider other gyms due to costs, proximity, the ease of uni gyms being totally geared up for students and the sports teams tending to train together.

ReputationRep:
    Just to add to the fees thing - college sport is a cheaper way to go if you just want to play your sport/have a team etc. because they are (have been in the past anyway) free.

Also - you don't have to pay to access the gym or pitches etc. if it's a training session that the club has booked. You could potentially get away without a gym membership in that case.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hwalmsley)
    I'm studying post-colonial literature and did my undergrad at york. I just love york that much! Well, as well as the fact that the only other place I could do my degree is my home town and I want another season rowing with the same girls.

Just in response to the sport thing - clubs are definitely not free. That's a really bizarre thing for them to have printed. Prices do vary between clubs though but if you email the president you'll get an answer on your sport now. Email addresses are on college/yusu website.

If anyone's interested in campus gyms (just to point you in the right direction) the sports centre is on hes west and has a really vast weight room with about 8 power racks, a good erg room, a lot of warm up/ down equipment but other cardio machines are old and fairly crap.

Sports village is 2 years old, pool, steam room, jacuzzi, sauna, massive amounts of cardio machines with touch screen tvs, less free weights. You can get a double membership if you want.

I wouldn't even consider other gyms due to costs, proximity, the ease of uni gyms being totally geared up for students and the sports teams tending to train together.
    Hey, thanks for the information on that!

Is it possible to pay monthly for the gyms on the campus? Also, are the sport centre's cardio machines real that bad? I'm coming from a gym with all the touch screen equipment and I'm not sure if I'll adjust to the old stuff again!

I imagine that the brochure worded it wrong about the free sports, they were probably referring to the college sport... I did think it was a little too good to be true

ReputationRep:
    Hi! Yeah, you can pay either upfront for the year or month by month, I think possibly there are a few other options like pay for a term etc. There's a couple of choices that will be on the websites (google 'york sports centre' or 'york sports village').

The cardio machines are certainly useable, there's just nowhere near as many and they're older. You have to sign up online anyway when you want to join so you could always just go and have a look at the both of them before deciding. I'm really missing the campus gyms (and prices) this summer.

ReputationRep:
    8 power racks, i think im in heaven!

maybe im just being stupid, but whats an erg room?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PeoplesChampion)
    8 power racks, i think im in heaven!

maybe im just being stupid, but whats an erg room?
    Oh sorry, forgetting that not everyone is a rower, just a load of rowing machines basically.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.