• View Poll Results: Group D: Semi Final 1
    LOTR: Return of the King
    72.55%
    Terminator 2
    27.45%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Motorbiker)
    I may or may not have just ordered this.... :ninja:
    You're in for a SF/action/Arnie treat, although it's usually the case that when a movie is raved about latecomers often wonder what all the fuss was about.

Good advice from unprinted, definitely watch the still very watchable original Terminator first.

ReputationRep:
    Lord of The Rings. Quite simply incredible movies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by just a dad)
    You're in for a SF/action/Arnie treat, although it's usually the case that when a movie is raved about latecomers often wonder what all the fuss was about.

Good advice from unprinted, definitely watch the still very watchable original Terminator first.
    Am currently 30 minutes into the original Terminator film.

terminator 2 will be watched tomorrow! :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJMayes)
    Lord of The Rings. Quite simply incredible movies.
    It's the sheer scale, the spectacle, the filming of what used to be referred to as an unfilmable story that is so impressive.

When I came out of the cinema after ROTK I knew that film making would never quite be the same again. The bar had been raised.

ReputationRep:
    Lord of the Rings, unquestionably. It's just absolutely beautiful. Not quite as good as the books, though more accessible. Plus Howard Shore's soundtrack is the greatest ever composed for a film in my opinion. That man is a god.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmaaa88)
    Lord of the Rings, unquestionably. It's just absolutely beautiful. Not quite as good as the books, though more accessible. Plus Howard Shore's soundtrack is the greatest ever composed for a film in my opinion. That man is a god.
    I do love the LOTR soundtrack. I'll give that to the film for sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmaaa88)
    Yep, cracking sound track. For all three.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by just a dad)
    It's the sheer scale, the spectacle, the filming of what used to be referred to as an unfilmable story that is so impressive.

When I came out of the cinema after ROTK I knew that film making would never quite be the same again. The bar had been raised.
    Oh, Peter Jackson the producer deserves loads of credit for ROTK. It's just a pity that Peter Jackson the director and scriptwriter doesn't deserve anything like as much (for this anyway - as I said in another round I'd watch his early splatter films again before sitting through the second holy trilogy or Tthhee Hhoobbbbiitt again).

T2 changed things and raised the bar too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unprinted)
    Oh, Peter Jackson the producer deserves loads of credit for ROTK. It's just a pity that Peter Jackson the director and scriptwriter doesn't deserve anything like as much (for this anyway - as I said in another round I'd watch his early splatter films again before sitting through the second holy trilogy or Tthhee Hhoobbbbiitt again).

Watching T2 atm. First 90 minutes of this is better than the whole LOTR trilogy imo.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Oooh, we've got a convert

ReputationRep:
    It did, and I'm rather splitting hairs here. I'd argue that the sheer scale of what Jackson pulled off with LOTR gives it the edge, but as I've hopefully made clear I have a huge fondness for T2.

ReputationRep:
    Oooh, we've got a convert

Finished watching it this morning and it was awesome!

It had Arnie saying those classic Arnie lines often whilst wielding a damn minigun.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    If you haven't already seen them, the other two great Arnie films are True Lies (also by Cameron) and Total Recall (Verhoeven).

T3 has a fine opening 25 minutes introducing the characters - the 'Arnie gets clothes' sequence is worth seeing - but then collapses into a complete mess of plot holes (the 'bad' terminator can control other machinery to the point of being able to successfully remotely control four normal vehicles in a chase that they even cannot see... but has to manually steer the one they are in and does not ever attempt to control anything the human hero is in) and series continuity issues (because John Connor is supposed to have 'made out' with someone just before the events of T2, he's suddenly made three years older then...)

Salvation starts as a complete mess and goes downhill from there.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 17, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.