Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Observatory)
    Well, that's certainly something to cry about!

I think Gove was effective precisely because he would ignore the day-to-day polls and focus on the long term direction of institutions. The teaching establishment is 80% anti-Conservative for institutional reasons; it was regarded as a Conservative bastion pre-1945 for instance. Gove has made some moves to establish a teaching profession is that not a paid adjunct of the government.

The alternative is to try to appease a hostile establishment by implementing more and more of your enemies' policies. Eventually you either survive by becoming a more effective vehicle for your enemies' ideas than them, or at some point you refuse to compromise further and slink away to die quietly. Look at what happened to the Liberal Party.
    In a democracy, you have to win elections.

It is very easy for political parties to throw over the support of people who might otherwise vote for them and then go on to lose. The danger for any party is that it assembles a coalition of voters who for entirely different reasons will not have that party at any price.

Look at the reaction on Mumsnet. That isn't a Trotskyite collective. That is where the Conservative Party hunts for votes. There is almost universal relief that he has gone,

ReputationRep:
    My MP is the new Attorny General.

ReputationRep:
    Hague a young Tory. Is there such a thing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cryptographic)
    I reckon Hague will return to politics in 2019 to be our EU commissioner.
    If we are even still in the place by then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    In a democracy, you have to win elections.

It is very easy for political parties to throw over the support of people who might otherwise vote for them and then go on to lose. The danger for any party is that it assembles a coalition of voters who for entirely different reasons will not have that party at any price.

Look at the reaction on Mumsnet. That isn't a Trotskyite collective. That is where the Conservative Party hunts for votes. There is almost universal relief that he has gone,
    Quite. I know many teachers who consider themselves would-be Tories if it weren't for Michael Gove.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Yeah, he works very well and quietly considering what troubles the massive local government cuts could have caused.

Minor things like modular examinations and scrapping coursework were the wrong calls but he's the first ed sec in decades to realize that pushing kids to be the very best is what schools exist for rather than some left-libertarian notion that its primary purpose is to be some hippy camp where people discover themselves. For arresting grade inflation and scrapping all but 1 resit he has my admiration.
    Eh? It might be considered 'leftist' (although I find the whole left-right thing a bit dull) in the sense that might be what Labour supports, but left-libertarian? Really?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.