Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Armin.)
    QMUL or rather Barts and the London rejected me 4 years ago post-interview so I'll always hate this university.

Down with Queens. :mob::mob::motz::nn::naughty::mwuaha::nah::poo::poo::poo::poo::poo:
    That's probably because you weren't up to it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Treee)
    Wow! Now that's not an answer I expected. What's your major? And are you an undergraduate or postgraduate student?
    Hahah relax. Apart from the admin part which is true for everywhere in this country, the Linguistics department doesn't have any of these problems

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sayhi2sinha)
    Well Sapient, I am in the same boat with tree but may be in a different compartment... I have accepted MSc Telecommunication Systems Management offer of QMUL(Though I am waiting for some more)... I have offers from Cardiff and Birmingham but then this course appealed me more than the others... Plus it is in London... But I am still wondering if this is the correct choice for me.. I am having 9+ years of work ex...so was wondering if I will fit in well and was more worried about the job placements... Any comments on it???

Abhishek
    I've heard that Telecommunications has loads of exams and is kinda hard... but there're people aceing them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by annette2010)
    Hahah relax. Apart from the admin part which is true for everywhere in this country, the Linguistics department doesn't have any of these problems
    Did you study linguistics there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Treee)
    Did you study linguistics there?
    Yep I did
    Probably too old to be on TSR now lol

ReputationRep:
    Yep I did
    Probably too old to be on TSR now lol
    Haha. Not at all.

Care to elaborate on what it was like? When did you graduate? How is the quality of education? What were teachers like? I know they're good in sociolinguistics, what was your experience with sociolinguistics there like?

Sorry for bombarding you with questions, haha. I'd really like to hear the personal experience of someone who went there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Treee)
    Haha. Not at all.

Care to elaborate on what it was like? When did you graduate? How is the quality of education? What were teachers like? I know they're good in sociolinguistics, what was your experience with sociolinguistics there like?

Sorry for bombarding you with questions, haha. I'd really like to hear the personal experience of someone who went there.
    you'll only hear about good things from me though...
    I did my degree in 2011, and it was good. Depending on what you're looking for, maybe go through the module list and see if they do stuff you like?
    I'm more of a variationist sociophonetician if that makes any sense so it's pretty cool that we have loads of phoneticians in the department. But then there's discourse people as well if you're more into the qualitative side.
    One thing about QM is that is a small department, not like the 150 people class you'll have at UCL. King's probably has more students as well. I like it a lot, and I got to know everyone really well.

ReputationRep:
    you'll only hear about good things from me though...
    I did my degree in 2011, and it was good. Depending on what you're looking for, maybe go through the module list and see if they do stuff you like?
    I'm more of a variationist sociophonetician if that makes any sense so it's pretty cool that we have loads of phoneticians in the department. But then there's discourse people as well if you're more into the qualitative side.
    One thing about QM is that is a small department, not like the 150 people class you'll have at UCL. King's probably has more students as well. I like it a lot, and I got to know everyone really well.
    Thanks a lot. I'm a big fan of small classrooms where the profrssor can really get to know the students.

ReputationRep:
    I've heard that Telecommunications has loads of exams and is kinda hard... but there're people aceing them

Thanks annette,

I can you please help me out with some of the contacts for this course?? or else could you please help me out with some of +ves and negatives fo the department of Telcom course and its faculty, placements ....

Abhishek

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Treee)
    Thanks a lot. I'm a big fan of small classrooms where the profrssor can really get to know the students.
    No worries.
    They know from the look on your face whether you've understood the lecture right away hahah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sayhi2sinha)
    Thanks annette,

I can you please help me out with some of the contacts for this course?? or else could you please help me out with some of +ves and negatives fo the department of Telcom course and its faculty, placements ....

Abhishek
    Sorry I don't really know much about any of these... I know engineering is a big school and has many students (mostly guys...)

ReputationRep:
    I did Linguistics last year, and actually a few of the issues he posted were spot on.

There was a mistake in one of the exams meaning you couldn't answer the question, but they took that into account and lowered the grade boundaries.

I had a few cancelled lectures, but that was due to the strikes so I'll let that one slide. Was only about 2/3 cancelled altogether tbf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Deputy)
    I did Linguistics last year, and actually a few of the issues he posted were spot on.

There was a mistake in one of the exams meaning you couldn't answer the question, but they took that into account and lowered the grade boundaries.

I had a few cancelled lectures, but that was due to the strikes so I'll let that one slide. Was only about 2/3 cancelled altogether tbf
    Oh that's unlucky then... You must be an undergrad? I was mainly talking about the MA course... But yes, there're issues with BA courses and let's not get into the undergrad exam/marking/timetable drama hahah

ReputationRep:
    Oh that's unlucky then... You must be an undergrad? I was mainly talking about the MA course... But yes, there're issues with BA courses and let's not get into the undergrad exam/marking/timetable drama hahah
    Yeah I'm an undergrad, the exam marking is horrendous lol

They've listed me grades like I'm back at A Level again, I just want to know whether I got a first or not haha

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.