The Student Room Group

Is it possible to get an A in AS History?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Changing Skies
This is interesting for the full A level :smile:

http://www.bstubbs.co.uk/a-lev.htm

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ooohhh cheers :smile:

EDIT: Tried to rep you but apparently I've repped you recently :frown:
I knew an annoying brat who thought he was better then everyone else who I wanted to shoot so badly who got an A in as history.

His other as level were maths physic which he got a D in.

So compared to those I think history may be a little easier so it is possible.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got an A on the OCR course, bow before me.
Original post by AdamCee
Ooohhh cheers :smile:

EDIT: Tried to rep you but apparently I've repped you recently :frown:

You're welcome :biggrin:

Aw no worries at all :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bloom77
I'm going to be doing AS Edexcel History this September.

Syllabus
Unit 1: A World Divided: Communism and Democracy in the 20th Century (Option D)
‘Pursuing Life and Liberty: Equality in the USA, 1945-68’
‘Politics, Presidency and Society in the USA, 1968-2001’

Unit 2: Britain in the Later 20th Century: Responding to Change (Option E)
‘British Political History, 1945-90: Consensus and Conflict’

Do you think if I work really hard, (I know I will), is it possible to get an A in As level?

Thanks so much!!

(I've done GCSE History and hoping for an A* but it's possibly an A)

Honestly it is really hard to get an A in AS history- I thought when I started that it would be easy just because I got a A* in GCSE but it is completely differnet. Firstly, most schools involve making students note their textbooks for revision notes by exam time (which is very time consuming and if your not for focused... a waste of time). On top of that, the answers that you make in A level have to be- 1 based on your view on a specific topic (which factor caused stalin's rise to power for instance or whatever) 2 Use evidence and STATS (which was a nightmare to remember for the exam-when I saw stats I mean numerical evidence, dates, people and their impact ect, basically anything to back up your point) 3 FOCUS on the question that is given in every part of your essay and don't ever make any type of general essay or you will struggle to get high marks 4 Actually show that you can prioritise factors within a certain question and make connections and criticisms on the impact of factors in relation to the question 5 Use clear writing (and essay structure) to convey an arguement where you establish and develop your answer from the introduction and bring up a concise conclusion that answers the question on the stated
factor.

On top of that, the Unit 2 in edexcel is a little more GCSE like but is mainly focused on you having disciplined exam technique and relate your own knowledge that you learn into the answers to the questions and sources provided. Most people can handle this quiet well because learning the topics help you know which factors are most important on certain topics before the exam

From my experience of A level history, on top of your other subjects it can be really overwhelming especially with the level of depth you need to go into with Unit 1. My best advice to you is that you spend a good daily amount of time noting and reading your text book so that you can understand and note the important information related to your essays, whilst eventually renoting them into concise revision notes of detailed arguments and evidence on certain factors or issues that are directly related to exam questions at least a month and a half before the exams so that you can focus for the last month on essay writing under timed conditions and learning the information. A good idea for this is to create theses type of concise revision notes for your mock exams so that you can stay on top of the course.

The most important thing is complete EXAM PAST PAPERS and made up questions(that could come up) with full essays and essay plans so that you are able to be fully ready for exam. A must for an A in history is to get your teacher to mark your work until you get high marks and ask them questions on improving your writing and general argument.

Good Luck!!
Original post by Bloom77

Syllabus

Do you think if I work really hard, (I know I will), is it possible to get an A in As level?

Thanks so much!!

It may be a good idea to ask people in the year above you to give you their class/revision notes and essays (if they have good handwriting) so that you can read and understand the topics ahead of time and be well prepared for the year ahead
Original post by Bloom77

Syllabus

Thanks so much!!

I missed the A* by 1 ums point at GCSE, but believe that I have a good chance of an A come results day for AS level, I may miss out and achieve a B. At the end of the day, if you're looking at an A/A* for GCSE, an A at AS level is well within your grasp if you work hard enough. Having a good teacher isn't the be all and end all but,ultimately, if you feel your teacher is poor and unsupportive the A may be more of a struggle.
Original post by kendr lawson
Honestly it is really hard to get an A in AS history- I thought when I started that it would be easy just because I got a A* in GCSE but it is completely differnet. Firstly, most schools involve making students note their textbooks for revision notes by exam time (which is very time consuming and if your not for focused... a waste of time). On top of that, the answers that you make in A level have to be- 1 based on your view on a specific topic (which factor caused stalin's rise to power for instance or whatever) 2 Use evidence and STATS (which was a nightmare to remember for the exam-when I saw stats I mean numerical evidence, dates, people and their impact ect, basically anything to back up your point) 3 FOCUS on the question that is given in every part of your essay and don't ever make any type of general essay or you will struggle to get high marks 4 Actually show that you can prioritise factors within a certain question and make connections and criticisms on the impact of factors in relation to the question 5 Use clear writing (and essay structure) to convey an arguement where you establish and develop your answer from the introduction and bring up a concise conclusion that answers the question on the stated
factor.

On top of that, the Unit 2 in edexcel is a little more GCSE like but is mainly focused on you having disciplined exam technique and relate your own knowledge that you learn into the answers to the questions and sources provided. Most people can handle this quiet well because learning the topics help you know which factors are most important on certain topics before the exam

From my experience of A level history, on top of your other subjects it can be really overwhelming especially with the level of depth you need to go into with Unit 1. My best advice to you is that you spend a good daily amount of time noting and reading your text book so that you can understand and note the important information related to your essays, whilst eventually renoting them into concise revision notes of detailed arguments and evidence on certain factors or issues that are directly related to exam questions at least a month and a half before the exams so that you can focus for the last month on essay writing under timed conditions and learning the information. A good idea for this is to create theses type of concise revision notes for your mock exams so that you can stay on top of the course.

The most important thing is complete EXAM PAST PAPERS and made up questions(that could come up) with full essays and essay plans so that you are able to be fully ready for exam. A must for an A in history is to get your teacher to mark your work until you get high marks and ask them questions on improving your writing and general argument.

Good Luck!!

Thanks! I appreciate the effort you put into this. Thanks for the exam technique too, it'll really help when it comes down to doing my A-levels. I agree with you and do believe practice is key and will definitely work to my full potential. Are there any other websites that you recommend which you have used in the past? Thanks a lot once again!! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
It may be a good idea to ask people in the year above you to give you their class/revision notes and essays (if they have good handwriting) so that you can read and understand the topics ahead of time and be well prepared for the year ahead

Haha! I would've loved to do that! The only problem is that the sixth form
I will be going to is new so it hasn't even started yet let alone have any students! Lol! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by plasmaman
I missed the A* by 1 ums point at GCSE, but believe that I have a good chance of an A come results day for AS level, I may miss out and achieve a B. At the end of the day, if you're looking at an A/A* for GCSE, an A at AS level is well within your grasp if you work hard enough. Having a good teacher isn't the be all and end all but,ultimately, if you feel your teacher is poor and unsupportive the A may be more of a struggle.

Thanks! I'm hoping for a good enough teacher!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by F.R.A.W.A
I got an A on the OCR course, bow before me.

Bow

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bloom77
Thanks! I appreciate the effort you put into this. Thanks for the exam technique too, it'll really help when it comes down to doing my A-levels. I agree with you and do believe practice is key and will definitely work to my full potential. Are there any other websites that you recommend which you have used in the past? Thanks a lot once again!! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Firstly once you get into the full swing of the course edexcel past papers for history will be vital for questions. This includes mark schemes and exam reports that will give you some guidance. Another useful website would be access to history site that you can access using the username access and password history: it has some exemplar essays on most topics so that you can understand the standard of an A grade essay. To be honest, the best resource that you have is your textbook- don't try to go overboard on information from other places. If you really want an A the best advice is to try and understand the causes and consequences of events and trying to evaluate the significance of any factor that is involved with questions. I think most people try to avoid really getting into their textbooks until the last few months- So just try to note the textbook and make summary/revision notes as you go along (The quicker you complete this the longer you have to put the information into practise in essays-TIMED or not). Really, the best resource you have is your teacher when it comes to analytical ideas and concepts that you want to include in your essay so I would always try to ask questions to gain a deeper understanding.
Original post by AdamCee
Can I ask where you're getting these stats from?
Just interested for some other subjects :smile:

The Edexcel statistics archive. It's on their website.
Firstly once you get into the full swing of the course edexcel past papers for history will be vital for questions. This includes mark schemes and exam reports that will give you some guidance. Another useful website would be access to history site that you can access using the username access and password history: it has some exemplar essays on most topics so that you can understand the standard of an A grade essay. To be honest, the best resource that you have is your textbook- don't try to go overboard on information from other places. If you really want an A the best advice is to try and understand the causes and consequences of events and trying to evaluate the significance of any factor that is involved with questions. I think most people try to avoid really getting into their textbooks until the last few months- So just try to note the textbook and make summary/revision notes as you go along (The quicker you complete this the longer you have to put the information into practise in essays-TIMED or not). Really, the best resource you have is your teacher when it comes to analytical ideas and concepts that you want to include in your essay so I would always try to ask questions to gain a deeper understanding.

dont go overboard on question paper until the end of the course- try to prioritising the issues complex and simple that be related to questions that will be in the exam
Original post by Bloom77
Haha! I would've loved to do that! The only problem is that the sixth form
I will be going to is new so it hasn't even started yet let alone have any students! Lol! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same here!! But you have just try and ask, the worst thing they can say is no and is would be cool to be reading someone's work for the entire course during the holidays instead of drowning in wall of words in the textbook--- it really simplifies your revision (but you still need to make your own notes

PS a little revision towards the end of the year is to spend some time rewriting your notes in condensed style and try to make 5-8 pieces of evidence per factor then try and test if you know it by writing on a blank piece of paper-really helps!

Quick Reply

Latest