Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I think we as a society need to decide what our fundamental, collective goal is. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Im not part of what is called society and i have no interest in its goals.

I only care mostly for myself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zippity.doodah)
    all you're doing is taking my statement to a ridiculous extreme that obviously nobody, especially me, is suggesting. it's like if I said "I like equality" and you said "oh, you're a communist"~
    I could use a million other less extreme examples if you would like? But you also claim that having group goals is no different from being mindless sheep which is fallacious in its own right. The fact is the logical and structuring within your argument is fallacious. You make assumptions that "surely" everybody's goal is not to have an overall goal. What makes you think this? What evidence do you have for thinking this? Again, you state "surely" people can set their own individual goals. What about people with mental disabilities? Should they be expected just to be left to their own devices? If we don't ever make collective decisions as a society then we aren't a society - there would be no need for government as nobody would listen to their laws because they are just individuals and not part of the state - the laws don't apply to them. When you make claims like "obviously" and "surely" it only weakens your argument.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Limpopo)
    Im not part of what is called society and i have no interest in its goals.

I only care mostly for myself.
    How sad.

ReputationRep:
    We should have a nohomo tax. 10% of everyone's earnings go to nohomo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NinetyOne)
    How sad.
    Well im not sure that emotion has much to do with it.

First thing is that i have no stake in this country. The country is owned and run by the few for the benefit of the few and the rest of us live under the illusion that we are part of it when really, the only part we play is to slave to feed and clothe ourselves so that we may continue to live and earn riches for others.

I as a single white male have no priority in this country. If i were on skid row i would even be lucky to get a night bed in a Sally Army hostel. I'd have to pull up a cardboard box in a doorway.

And yet i have never had a days unemployment and contribute monthly to help keep this thing called society afloat.

I am with Maggie, there is no such thing as society. It is a media construct.

ReputationRep:
    How do we choose our collective purpose or who are these angels that are going to do it for us? Human beings do not have a collective brain, meaning we do not think similarly, we do not want the same things and we pursue different ends.

Suppose one group of people say that the collective purpose of humanity is to create a world where everyone is treated equally and fairly while another group says that the purpose of humanity is to create a world where only the strongest, smartest and charismatic thrive while the weak and dumb are removed from the gene pool.

Who is right here and who decides it? What happens to those who lose the supposed vote between these two purposes? Do they have a different collective purpose? Should they be violently subdued?

ReputationRep:
    GDP is so unspecific and immeasurable as to be largely meaningless.

Say what you like about the US, but the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness are worthwhile goals.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think we do. Goals are a rather dangerous, totalitarian idea. Let it be.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.