Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it true that all Indian girls hate getting tanned? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by narcotica)
    That's sweet but not everyone thinks that sadly. Most Asians hear and see from a young age that fair is pretty (forget family, even adverts are depressing ).
    I know it's sad and it's not right but it's the reality of the world we live in :/

ReputationRep:
    That's sweet but not everyone thinks that sadly. Most Asians hear and see from a young age that fair is pretty (forget family, even adverts are depressing ).
    And you just think you can't make up your own mind so you'll just follow tradition?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ggmu!)
    I don't even get this because we don't get dark that easily... Even a full day out in the sun won't change my skin shade at all.
    All these self haters, no doubt they'll say 'just my preferenceeeeee omgg xxx' but really its colonial conditioning.

You ought to be proud of yourselves!
    What! I get darker very quickly and the 'tan' seems to be permanen because it's still darker after 5 years! :mad:

I wouldn't ever tell my children that being fairer is better. No one gets a choice, so they shouldn't feel like (e.g.) no one will ever like them just because they're dark.

ReputationRep:
    What! I get darker very quickly and the 'tan' seems to be permanen because it's still darker after 5 years! :mad:

I wouldn't ever tell my children that being fairer is better. No one gets a choice, so they shouldn't feel like (e.g.) no one will ever like them just because they're dark.
    Where in India are you from?
    You're strange, i've never seen that happen to a single Indian who 'permanently' goes dark after a tan.

But your implicit glorification of a light skin tone will effect them and their attitudes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A100whoo)
    Ditto,

Though I'm not sure if i'd want white white skin, but just a very light brown...
    Ah, I meant that Asian white (extremely fair) not like an actual white person, though they're close in shade.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on what part of India they are from..

ReputationRep:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIUQ5hbRHXk

when you have ridiculous ads like these being broadcast in EVERY single ad break, it would condition you into thinking you need to be fair too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ggmu!)
    Where in India are you from?
    You're strange, i've never seen that happen to a single Indian who 'permanently' goes dark after a tan.

But your implicit glorification of a light skin tone will effect them and their attitudes.
    I'm not Indian. That's what I thought - it had to be me of course

My glorification wouldn't be voiced or implied though. How do you mean?

ReputationRep:
    Fair and lovely, huh?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not Indian. That's what I thought - it had to be me of course

My glorification wouldn't be voiced or implied though. How do you mean?
    Oh my bad, I should have read your post better. Whereabouts, if you don't mind me asking? If you're Pakistani then you aren't really any different... Pakistanis are a little lighter mainly in the east but they tend to stay really light.

You said you'd love to have white skin and you think brown is bad lol. if you think that isn't gonna seep through with your kids, you're mistaken. You'd be better off realising there is nothing wrong with any skin colour at all.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Sister, Mum and any other female in my family have never bought up the notion of hating tanning.

So no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ggmu!)
    And you just think you can't make up your own mind so you'll just follow tradition?
    This was hammered into my head from a young age ggmu. I'm constantly told that I'll 'never' get married, and I always hear, "she's pretty because she's fair". It is true - some Indian actresses on tv wouldn't be striking if they were dark.
    The problem is that I agree :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    As far as I can guess it's because in Indian society phenotype is used to roughly gauge somebody's caste, and the lower castes are darker.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/atta...d=301466&stc=1
    Attachments Pending Approval
  1. File Type: jpg 4478665924_ea2a444fe8_z.jpg (218.2 KB)

ReputationRep:
    This was hammered into my head from a young age ggmu. I'm constantly told that I'll 'never' get married, and I always hear, "she's pretty because she's fair". It is true - some Indian actresses on tv wouldn't be striking if they were dark.
    The problem is that I agree :dontknow:
    Maybe it's worse because you're a girl?

Yeah my mum said the same too, even kept a cloth to rub ourselves with to make us fairer lol.

But then again I thought it was stupid at the time and I still do, different people i suppose.

I don't know HOW you can agree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by überambitious_ox)
    I've heard this a lot, just wondered how true it is.
    I absolutely love my brown skin tone but due to cultural influence I wouldn't want to get more tanned cos I'm already tanned. Although in South Asian culture being fair is preferred but I'm satisfied enough with my wheatish skin tone but yeah I wouldn't want to get anymore tan, I'm tanned already lol.

ReputationRep:
    I never use sunscreen because I am a man. And real men do not fear the sun. :bandit:

I love it when I get a proper dark tan though. Makes me look more Filipino and tropical. Feels good. I start wearing all my surf dude type clothes and walk around in flip fops to complete the look.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ggmu!)
    I don't even get this because we don't get dark that easily... Even a full day out in the sun won't change my skin shade at all.
    All these self haters, no doubt they'll say 'just my preferenceeeeee omgg xxx' but really its colonial conditioning.

You ought to be proud of yourselves!
    This.

Hate when South Asians moan about their skin colour! :mad: Brown is attractive, what's wrong with South Asians!?

My little sister is tanned and I wish I was she's too pretty, it's not fair:huff:
    I love tanned skin!:woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maliha Ahmed)
    This.

Hate when South Asians moan about their skin colour! :mad: Brown is attractive, what's wrong with South Asians!?
    Mindset, people think white = attractive because of the colonialism since they had the power and were higher up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ggmu!)
    Oh my bad, I should have read your post better. Whereabouts, if you don't mind me asking? If you're Pakistani then you aren't really any different... Pakistanis are a little lighter mainly in the east but they tend to stay really light.

You said you'd love to have white skin and you think brown is bad lol. if you think that isn't gonna seep through with your kids, you're mistaken. You'd be better off realising there is nothing wrong with any skin colour at all.
    Bangladesh exists too Well I'm never going to be fairer so I'll learn to deal with it myself. You're quite passionate about this.
    No, it's not going to show at all because I don't find it hard to hide feelings when necessary. I don't look at other dark people and think 'uh, peasant', I just don't like myself being dark. Are you dark?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 4, 2014
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.