Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Who pays, girl or guy? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I would love to split the cost but I have a really stubborn boyfriend who insists on paying every single damn time and we always have mini arguments over this but in the end I just cba anymore.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vickidc18)
    I think it's whoever suggested the date, I asked my fiance out the first time so I paid for the date we have halved costs until I got pregnant and I have been looking after our child so I don't have much money spare so he pays.
    Why u enforcing gender roles?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NOONA.)
    Most girls would prefer the guy to pay, because it shows that he is a gentleman.
    The thing is girls often expect me to pay because I have money, but **** that, I'm not an ATM, I only treat girls when they do something I like, it has to be mutual.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pussy Galore)
    The thing is girls often expect me to pay because I have money, but **** that, I'm not an ATM, I only treat girls when they do something I like, it has to be mutual.
    You, my friend, have met the gold-diggers. Good luck escaping them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vickidc18)
    I think it's whoever suggested the date, I asked my fiance out the first time so I paid for the date we have halved costs until I got pregnant and I have been looking after our child so I don't have much money spare so he pays.
    So he pays for all your stuff?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EatAndRevise)
    You, my friend, have met the gold-diggers. Good luck escaping them.
    I'm 17, you don't get gold diggers at 17. Most girls my age aren't looking for somebody to provide for them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ade9000)
    nobody pays.

Dine and dash!!!
    hahahaha

ReputationRep:
    I'm 17, you don't get gold diggers at 17. Most girls my age aren't looking for somebody to provide for them
    You do get gold-diggers at 17, they can use guys to get meals, clothing and presents. Yes, they may be slightly different to gold-diggers in their 20s and onwands, but they still exist.

ReputationRep:
    You do get gold-diggers at 17, they can use guys to get meals, clothing and presents. Yes, they may be slightly different to gold-diggers in their 20s and onwands, but they still exist.
    Never really seen it, party girls just want alcohol money

the only guys I've ever seen buying expensive presents are either desperate chumps or guys in LTRs (in too deep probs)

ReputationRep:
    I would always split the cost. If someone tries to pay for me I generally laugh at them. In fact, that's how me and my partners first date went. The relief on his face was palpable!

ReputationRep:
    Never really seen it, party girls just want alcohol money

the only guys I've ever seen buying expensive presents are either desperate chumps or guys in LTRs (in too deep probs)
    So yes, they want your money to pay for alcohol.

Sorry, LTR? What does that mean?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redferry)
    I would always split the cost. If someone tries to pay for me I generally laugh at them. In fact, that's how me and my partners first date went. The relief on his face was palpable!
    partner sounds like a wuss, **** paying on the first date, its astraight from mcdonalds to premier inn she pays

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the circumstances; if it's something that one of them is offering the other (e.g. for their birthday) then I can understand just one of them (not necessarily the man) paying for it. Otherwise I think it's just fair for them to split it.

ReputationRep:
    Me and my boyfriend usually spil the cost, except every once in a while one of us will treat the other.
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    It depends on the girl.

ReputationRep:
    We typically take it in turns although I pay slightly more often as my partner does all the driving. Same for buying drinks on a night out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RosyPearl)
    I would love to split the cost but I have a really stubborn boyfriend who insists on paying every single damn time and we always have mini arguments over this but in the end I just cba anymore.
    This is the exact same as me, so annoying :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    FEMINISM indicates that the cost should be split EQUALLY to symbolise the EQUALITY of the two genders. If womyn let men pay for their meal they are reinforcing the patriarchy!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StevieA)
    Why u enforcing gender roles?

So he pays for all your stuff?
    It's what works for us at the minute, our daughter is 1 so needs full time care if I got a job I would spend 75% of my wages on childcare because we don't get any help , he's on 40k a year and I'd be on 15k it doesn't economically make sense, until I qualify I would be perfectly happy for him to stay at home with our daughter if the roles were reserved & I work part time so I use that money to pay for daughters nappies trips out, etc By the time our daughter starts school I would have finished uni so our income will go up. We don't see it as "he pays for my stuff" we are a family unit he made our child as well so I work by looking after our child as well as working part time.

ReputationRep:
    It should be split at all times. I often feel guilty if someone pays for me and they insist on you not needing to pay them back.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 15, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.