Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I don't eat treats at work, so why should I bring it in? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Couldn't you just bring in something healthier that you would want to eat?

Also I don't see why you'd begrudge buying something, its about bonding at work and giving to others :\

Also, I think it depends on your weight. If you aren't overweight compared to a lot of people in the office not eating treats in itself can breed resentment unfortunately, so not bringing anything in would just be the icing on the cake (pardon the pun).
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Just go and buy a cake from M&S or Sainsbury's or something. It doesn't have to be pricy and it'll keep people happy.

ReputationRep:
    I would never, ever have let workmates know when my birthday is and I used to take the day off just in case they found out.

However, you have missed that opportunity and should spend the money and bring in treats. lol "treats".
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    Just spend a little bit. Less than a tenner would get you 5 boxes of bakery treats from a supermarket.

ReputationRep:
    it doesn't need to be expensive as you don't eat any of their stuff anyway. The point is, to bring something to be included in the work group or as gesture of such, not bringing something will probably give you a label as a scrooge, etc.

Also bringing something signifies their importance of company (no matter how miniscule it may be). Having said that it's ultimately your choice whether to bring something or not, beware of the consequences.

ReputationRep:
    Just do it, my old job was like this it's office politics grit your teeth, if you don't then your colleagues will think you're tight.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh I agree with you, if you aren't going to eat it and don't want to celebrate with them that's your choice, anyone who complains that you haven't brought anything in is a freeloader simply put.

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by redferry)
    Also, I think it depends on your weight. If you aren't overweight compared to a lot of people in the office not eating treats in itself can breed resentment unfortunately, so not bringing anything in would just be the icing on the cake (pardon the pun).
    That's their issue, there's a gym next door to our office.

(Original post by pane123)
    I would never, ever have let workmates know when my birthday is and I used to take the day off just in case they found out.

However, you have missed that opportunity and should spend the money and bring in treats. lol "treats".
    Unfortunately, there is a card that goes around for everyone's birthday, so when you filled in the job application they took note of your DOB. Everyone has this. But yes, I am taking the day off on Friday, which means I need to bring it on Thursday or Monday. haha...sorry I couldn't think of another word other than treats!

(Original post by SiminaM)
    You could buy a nice bag of candy and give your colleges one, kinda like you do in school. It's better to bring something, but I think your colleges should bring something for you, like a surprise.... If there are more than 20 people, then you don't need to bring anything, as you're probably not close with many of them...
    There's 60 people in our office, which is why actually buying enough for everyone costs more than it technically should. It's not simply a £10 cake from Asda. Some people here bring such a big spread of cake, cheesecake, muffins, mini rolls, popcorn etc etc ...it goes on and on. You may think that's great, but when there's 60 people in the office and there's one birthday a week, it gets quite sickening. I only speak to the 4 people on my team, which I genuinely don't mind buying a little something for, but I think that opens an even bigger can of worms.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    That's their issue, there's a gym next door to our office.
    So you don't actually give a **** about you relations in the office? Why are you even asking then its clear you are going to plough ahead, disintegrating office relations as you go, regardless.

And I take it you are a health freak rather than an overweight person?

ReputationRep:
    So you don't actually give a **** about you relations in the office? Why are you even asking then its clear you are going to plough ahead, disintegrating office relations as you go, regardless.

What kind of superficial office relations are based on whether someone brings cake in or not? In my office people often bring food in on their birthday and there's one guy who never does, they tease him about it but because they aren't 10 years old they are just as good friends with him regardless.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james1211)
    What kind of superficial office relations are based on whether someone brings cake in or not? In my office people often bring food in on their birthday and there's one guy who never does, they tease him about it but because they aren't 10 years old they are just as good friends with him regardless.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Depends how big your office is and how divided it is I suspect.

Ours is a 50 odd person team with something of a natural, and pay, divide between fee earners and admin staff which can foster resentment enough as it is. Stuff like b'day cakes, official works drinks etc. are good ways to keep the team cohesive.

Saying that I'm leaving in a week so don't give much of a **** now

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    People are ****ty though. You're lucky to have such nice colleagues though

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You can buck the social trends if you want, but that makes you "that guy" and nobody wants to be "that guy"

ReputationRep:
    People are ****ty though. You're lucky to have such nice colleagues though
    People are ****ty. Equally lucky I don't pander to those type of people.

(Original post by FergieD)
    You can buck the social trends if you want, but that makes you "that guy" and nobody wants to be "that guy"
    That says more about them than me (hypothetically). If people are going to get arsey about not getting free cake then let them be but I don't want involved.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Take something healthy in.

Someone I worked with last year brought in strawberries, sliced fruit, marshmallows and melted chocolate. People can have the fruit or do fondue. Throw in some juice or a smoothie and you're onto a winner imo

I was merely responding to a previous post who said they may resent me due to me trying to be fit. Regardless of my BMI, I should be allowed to eat or choose not to eat what I want. Whether it is offered to me or not.

Don't get me started on one guy at work who's wife bakes him a cake, and if you politely decline you don't want it, he gets offended and cuts you a piece anyway (which I have to bin due to a ridiculous amount of sugar which is added to compensate for her lack of baking skills).

I said in a few posts before that it looks like I will have to buy something and give to them, chocolates as it's cheaper than fruits.

I care a lot about my relations here, I fill in for jobs when people are not here, I don't mind sitting in during meetings to help take notes, I do a lot of things way above my job description and I am recognized for my efforts. This however, is beyond me to comprehend why I need to do something which I don't accept back.

Like I said, I will buy something if it means peace and to shut everyone up, but my god this office politics is poo.

People are ****ty. Equally lucky I don't pander to those type of people.

That says more about them than me (hypothetically). If people are going to get arsey about not getting free cake then let them be but I don't want involved.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Essentially it is free cake. The number of people who suddenly are all cheering "happy birthday" whilst cutting a slice of cake and helping themselves to two muffins, when you haven't spoken to them all year, is shameless.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't bother. If anything, it should be them buying cake for you. Seems a bit unfair that you have to spend money on stuff you aren't gonna eat when it's your birthday. If they're gonna be mardy about the fact you have my brought anything then they're just being childish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I was merely responding to a previous post who said they may resent me due to me trying to be fit. Regardless of my BMI, I should be allowed to eat or choose not to eat what I want. Whether it is offered to me or not.

Don't get me started on one guy at work who's wife bakes him a cake, and if you politely decline you don't want it, he gets offended and cuts you a piece anyway (which I have to bin due to a ridiculous amount of sugar which is added to compensate for her lack of baking skills).

I said in a few posts before that it looks like I will have to buy something and give to them, chocolates as it's cheaper than fruits.

I care a lot about my relations here, I fill in for jobs when people are not here, I don't mind sitting in during meetings to help take notes, I do a lot of things way above my job description and I am recognized for my efforts. This however, is beyond me to comprehend why I need to do something which I don't accept back.

Like I said, I will buy something if it means peace and to shut everyone up, but my god this office politics is poo.
    I agree office politics is dumb. Unfortunately a lot of people can't comprehend why someone who isn't overweight would watch what they eat. At the same time personally I just feel its more diplomatic to have a tiny slice to placate them.

ReputationRep:
    just bring in a fruit basket, break the mould brother

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 15, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.