Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Happy Birthday to a Great Woman Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yo radical one)
    In that case you would surely celebrate woman's suffrage, as opposed to making it about a particular person?
    Sigh.

It's her (or would have been) birthday. She's on the main Google page. Today is as good a day as any to acknowledge one of the most important people of the 20th century.

Would you criticise someone for mentioning (love her or hate her) Thatcher on her anniversary?

Sheesh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by just a dad)
    TBH I was more curious in what the response from women would be, as opposed to men.

AFAIK we've had a 'meh' and an 'isn't she dead?' from the gender that directly benefited from her cause.

I'm underwhelmed.
    Well movements are not made up solely of the leaders we read about in history. Behind her was all the ordinary women that made it possible. What matters most is that people wont accept the vote being taken away form women now. The fact attitudes have changed is the important bit.

Women definitely benefited from being able to vote but there is still the class issue. From my very limited understanding (so I could be wrong) she was very much a conservative in the rest of her views. Working class women's lives were made better by other people and groups.

Also WWI was very much a result of rampant imperialism in my view so I don't really agree with her views on that at all.

Finally she was a trouble causer, took part in direct action such as protests and civil disobedience, these things are rarely encouraged by governments at the time. Sure we look back on her praisfully now but the state in no way wants to encourage that kind of behavior today. Schools don't teach children the importance of taking to the street do they?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not one of these people who constantly hates the British Empire, but promoting Imperialism as well as attacking boys who did not sign up to fight in one of the most brutal, as well as pointless wars in the history of mankind, tarnishes her character well beyond helping to get votes for women improves it. Heck, I hope I would have had the courage to fight in World War 2 if I had been called, but WW1, pssh, I'd have shot myself in the foot/become a Quaker to get out of that.
    Criticising Emeline Pankhurst for imperialism is ridiculous. Everyone was imperialistic back then, it had been hammered into them at school, in the papers and by politicians.

ReputationRep:
    Sigh.

It's her (or would have been) birthday. She's on the main Google page. Today is as good a day as any to acknowledge one of the most important people of the 20th century.

Would you criticise someone for mentioning (love her or hate her) Thatcher on her anniversary?

Sheesh.
    I have mixed (to positive in fact) feelings about Thatcher so it's perhaps a bad example for me

Criticise them for mentioning her, nah, criticise them for demanding I show her reverance, quite probably.

(Original post by PythianLegume)
    Criticising Emeline Pankhurst for imperialism is ridiculous. Everyone was imperialistic back then, it had been hammered into them at school, in the papers and by politicians.
    Apart from Fabians and other anti-Imperialism activists...but hey, she was British so we can chalk it up with banning slavery (which only happened because the wealthy slave owners realised farming was becoming mechanised and didn't want to have to feed them, as well as seeing it was an opportunity to claim compensation from the government-just another example of how this country slants its history in the most dishonest way)

ReputationRep:
    Shame no one cares enough about the woman willing to get her hands dirty so we could be equal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PythianLegume)
    No they weren't.

ReputationRep:
    I just thought that young women might want to acknowledge the debt of gratitude they owe to the leader of the suffragette movement.

It was just a thought.
    She should have campaigned for all people to get the vote including the millions of men who didn't have it and for all people to have ''the privilege'' of getting gassed and blown up while standing in mud up to their knees in some hellhole in France. Equal rights and responsibilities for all. Not picking and choosing the male ''privileges'' while ignoring the responsibilities that come with them.

Sadly, even today modern feminism still maintains the same logic most of the time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    No they weren't.
    ****ing shocked that we are in agreement for once

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Viva Emptiness)
    Shame no one cares enough about the woman willing to get her hands dirty so we could be equal.
    women

I know I'm being pedantic but she didn't do it all on her own.

****ing shocked that we are in agreement for once

This uneasy truce wont last long

ReputationRep:
    This uneasy truce wont last long
    Haven't even said anything chauvinistic on this thread

:smug::smug::smug:

ReputationRep:
    women

I know I'm being pedantic but she didn't do it all on her own.
    I hereby express my gratitude to all women and men, past, present and future who have contributed or will ever contribute to my excellent quality of life, on this here day of Emmeline Pankurst's birthday.

ReputationRep:
    I hereby express my gratitude to all women and men, past, present and future who have contributed or will ever contribute to my excellent quality of life, on this here day of Emmeline Pankurst's birthday.
    :yay:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by plusC)

Millicent :heart:
    Might have to name my next bow after her. I was thinking Amy (after Amy Johnson) but Millicent is an appropriate tribute.

Celebrating Emmeline Pankhurt's birthday isn't just about her but about thanking all those that fought to get us where we are today and promising that we won't give up the fight here or elsewhere.

As an aside my mother had a bike named Emmeline because she used to tie her to railings.
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    From Justadad's comments, I feel obliged to leave my reaction:

Whose birthday is it? Oh her, she's that suffragette one right? Cool, she worked for women's rights.

I didn't learn about her at school, I certainly didn't know some of the stuff that other people have posted in this thread and whilst I'm glad that I have the right to vote, I don't feel inclined to say happy birthday to someone who's dead, and whose "gift" to me I was never properly told about, and, by all accounts here, wasn't really aimed at me anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmallTownGirl)
    Might have to name my next bow after her. I was thinking Amy (after Amy Johnson) but Millicent is an appropriate tribute.

Celebrating Emmeline Pankhurt's birthday isn't just about her but about thanking all those that fought to get us where we are today and promising that we won't give up the fight here or elsewhere.

As an aside my mother had a bike named Emmeline because she used to tie her to railings.
    Except when it comes to actual fighting, right? That's men's privilege and she was more than fine with it to the point of shaming teenage boys for not wanting to go to war. Or the fact that a huge number of men also couldn't vote, no problem whatsoever.

https://www.google.ro/search?q=ww1+w...=1920&bih=1026

Take a long, hard look at those photos and breath in all the male privilege. The saddest part is feminists do this do this day : equal rights for women but responsibilities just for men.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StevieA)
    Except when it comes to actual fighting, right? That's men's privilege and she was more than fine with it to the point of shaming teenage boys for not wanting to go to war. Or the fact that a huge number of men also couldn't vote, no problem whatsoever.

https://www.google.ro/search?q=ww1+w...=1920&bih=1026

Take a long, hard look at those photos and breath in all the male privilege. The saddest part is feminists do this do this day : equal rights for women but responsibilities just for men.
    So because I support votes for women I suddenly support WW1?

I care about equal rights for EVERYONE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmallTownGirl)
    So because I support votes for women I suddenly support WW1?

I care about equal rights for EVERYONE.
    You are celebrating a hypocrite who only wanted votes for women while ignoring the millions of men who couldn't vote at the time and shamed men and teenage boys (many of them without the right to vote) to go fight and die while women stayed behind safely, far away from the butchering fields of France.

As for the war, it would have showed up to your door whether you supported it or not. Google image ''rape war victims'' to see what you'd have looked like if men with guns didn't die in the millions so you could you could be safe. Thank your great grandfathers instead of this hypocrite *****. They are the real heroes.

ReputationRep:
    /salute

I did an essay including her and didn't even realise, shame on me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StevieA)
    You are celebrating a hypocrite who only wanted votes for women while ignoring the millions of men who couldn't vote at the time and shamed men and teenage boys (many of them without the right to vote) to go fight and die while women stayed behind safely, far away from the butchering fields of France.

As for the war, it would have showed up to your door whether you supported it or not. Google image ''rape war victims'' to see what you'd have looked like if men with guns didn't die in the millions so you could you could be safe. Thank your great grandfathers instead of this hypocrite *****. They are the real heroes.
    As I said I'm celebrating the whole movement. And we have plenty of days when we thank those who fought in the wars for us. Today isn't about that.

ReputationRep:
    To be fair, I don't have all their birthdays to hand.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.