Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What can be improved for education. Watch

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Their will is irrelevant, if children knew what was best for them then they'd have the vote.

Sure but its an extra 4% of their day only, its not going to harm them.
    Considering a lot of those kids are fit and healthy and do not need extra PE, I think their will is just an extra point to make note of. Of course kids have to do a lot of things which are best for them but they don't like, but plenty of kids are healthy enough to not need any extra PE but would be forced to do it and have longer school days because of it.

An extra hour a day still too much, especially for the younger kids who would particularly resent longer school days. The school day should not be lengthened at all, no matter what lesson it's done to make space for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    I think Gove was pretty great and his ethos was spot on..

Cap the resit at a C (don't try, tough).

Extend the school day an hour making PE mandatory every day. Mandate a GCSE in it so that everybody has to put some effort in or risk an F with those A grades.

Require all state schools to do the English Bac.

Scrap the new grading system and change D and below to a simple pass. For A level, anything below 50% (C grade) is a fail.

C grade boundary can be no lower than 50%, Fail below 30%.

Bring back modular examinations.

All subjects will be graded 50% by exam and 50% coursework each semester. Make coursework much harder.

Large scale public enquiry into the syllabus of every GCSE subject. Aim to make the subjects much harder. Target number of students for C and above should be 50% only.
    Gove didn't want to bring back modular examinations; he wanted every single subject assessed with exams at the end of the 2 years, so that point is invalid. Gove didn't want coursework at all, so your idea about coursework is invalid; he tried to get rid of coursework in every single subject. He detested modular exams and coursework.

If only 50% of students could get a C or above, millions of people wouldn't be able to get a job, as 5 C grades are needed for most college courses and a lot of school-leaver jobs. By doing that, you'd horrifically increase the number of people on benefits, who are out of work. Do you have any idea how the economy operates?

If PE were to be enforced every day, no university would care if students failed it. Do you think they're not going to take people with A grades who failed PE? Get real; nobody will care about a subject that was forced on people which doesn't actually matter. The public do not care what is in GCSEs and A-levels; do you think that parents are really going to care if their children are awarded a couple of easy marks in an exam, or if a certain exam board does something different to another?

For a supporter of Gove who thinks his ethos was 'spot on', you have absolutely no idea what he was doing and what he wanted to do. Read something else other than the Daily Mail next time.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pectorac)
    Gove didn't want to bring back modular examinations; he wanted every single subject assessed with exams at the end of the 2 years, so that point is invalid. Gove didn't want coursework at all, so your idea about coursework is invalid; he tried to get rid of coursework in every single subject. He detested modular exams and coursework.

If only 50% of students could get a C or above, millions of people wouldn't be able to get a job, as 5 C grades are needed for most college courses and a lot of school-leaver jobs. By doing that, you'd horrifically increase the number of people on benefits, who are out of work. Do you have any idea how the economy operates?

If PE were to be enforced every day, no university would care if students failed it. Do you think they're not going to take people with A grades who failed PE? Get real; nobody will care about a subject that was forced on people which doesn't actually matter. The public do not care what is in GCSEs and A-levels; do you think that parents are really going to care if their children are awarded a couple of easy marks in an exam, or if a certain exam board does something different to another?

For a supporter of Gove who thinks his ethos was 'spot on', you have absolutely no idea what he was doing and what he wanted to do. Read something else other than the Daily Mail next time.
    I'm not repeating his ideas, he did make some wrong calls but i agree with most of what he did. Do not pertain to tell me what i do and do not understand.

Regarding your points. If colleges and businesses believe that the level of knowledge displayed by somebody achieving 40% is sufficient then they will lower their threshold, there is no legal requirement that i am aware of to set the threshold for entry/employment at a C. If businesses do not believe that somebody who achieved 40% was satisfactory then i made the right call, students (many of whom like me never pushed themselves) will have to work their asses off as they should or risk getting only a 'Pass'. And yes, i'm an Economics undergrad.

The point is not whether universities care or not, it is to prevent the obesity crisis as it begins.

Suggest i read the Daily Mail again and this debate is over.

ReputationRep:
    Can't even spell "education" :rolleyes:
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    Can't even spell "education" :rolleyes:
    The irony

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by karmacrunch)
    The irony

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What I have done wrong? :sad:
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    What I have done wrong? :sad:
    Aww, no not you! I was commenting on the title :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Aww, no not you! I was commenting on the title :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    lol, I thought I had spelt something wrong.

To many time me acting like a smart arse comes back to bite me in the erm... arse. The irony!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    lol, I thought I had spelt something wrong.

To many time me acting like a smart arse comes back to bite me in the erm... arse. The irony!
    No you didn't! Hehe

*too... Sorry! :mmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No you didn't! Hehe

*too... Sorry! :mmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I will never understand the difference
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Aww

Looky:
    'Too'<- as in "too much", an excessive of something

e.g. Today it was TOO hot

'To'<- has more meanings

E.g. TO Sir/Madam etc.
    - I'm going TO my friend's house
    And there are more!

You will know the difference as long as you remember the first one

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Aww

Looky:
    'Too'<- as in "too much", an excessive of something

e.g. Today it was TOO hot

'To'<- has more meanings

E.g. TO Sir/Madam etc.
    - I'm going TO my friend's house
    And there are more!

You will know the difference as long as you remember the first one

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I feel embarrassed that at 21 I didn't know this.

ReputationRep:
    Randomly jumping in, you use 'too' when talking about excessive quantities 'too much, too many' or when in replacement of 'as well' (but not in every case) e.g. 'can I come as well/too?'

Later note: Clearly wrote this at the same time as the poster above - their explanation is much better!
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Butterfly9595)
    Randomly jumping in, you use 'too' when talking about excessive quantities 'too much, too many' or when in replacement of 'as well' (but not in every case) e.g. 'can I come as well/too?'

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Your username is top quality.

ReputationRep:
    Your username is top quality.
    As is yours :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.