Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What leagues do you watch? Watch

• TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Premier League & Championship.

The only foreign games I pay attention to are the ones involving the big teams, e.g Der Klassiker, El Clasico or title deciders. Really don't care much for say, Real Madrid vs Getafe at 10pm on a Sunday night. I do keep an eye on all the big leagues though, without necessarily watching them.

ReputationRep:
    Mainly premier league and la liga. Watch a decent amount of Bayern games and quite a lot of Barcadrid games.

Watched the odd Juve and Inter game last season too.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    IMO, the Championship is a better league than the vast majority of European leagues bar the Premier League, Bundesliga and La Liga.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    IMO, the Championship is a better league than the vast majority of European leagues bar the Premier League, Bundesliga and La Liga.
    It depends what you mean by "better". In terms of competitiveness, it's about the best there is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pane123)
    Other than the Premier League, what leagues do the locals watch?
    La Liga and the local league that's it really.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    It depends what you mean by "better". In terms of competitiveness, it's about the best there is.
    I mean competitiveness and entertainment, yeah. I'd rather watch the Championship play-offs than every La Liga game bar El Clasico tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Premier League, Bundesliga, La Liga, Serie A, Eredvisie sometimes (Ajax, PSV) and a few Primera Liga games (mainly Porto and Benfica).

ReputationRep:
    Some of these leagues are a real chore to watch and I'm considering never watching Brazilian football again as it is so, so boring.

The Brasileirão is probably one of the most unpredictable leagues that you can watch - which is probably why it's every gamblers worst nightmare. Apart from the time São Paulo won it 3 years in a row in 2006, 2007 and 2008 it’s been pretty much difficult to call from season to season. I won't go on so I’ll just go back to 2012 when Flu were champions, then in 2013 they were relegated (albeit they were later reinstated because of the Portuguesa situation...) but my point is that they went from winning it to being this absolutely terrible team and would (and should) have been relegated. Then that same season you had Atlético PR who had previously been promoted from Série B in 2012 and in 2013 ended up finishing third – no one could have called that, not even your Tim Vickery / South American type of experts out there. You can even include Vasco – had a really good season in 2012 and in 2013 they were relegated. Back in 2011 Cruzeiro avoided relegated by a couple of points, 2013 they were crowned champions and are currently leading the way again this season, although I don’t think they will win it again this season, but who knows? That’s the joy of this league and the amount of talented youngsters in it is even greater to watch.

Of course everyone can have their own opinion and what have you but the Brazilian League (including the State championships) is not boring, especially with the likes of Gabigol and Luan running around.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ra-ra-ra)
    The Brasileirão is probably one of the most unpredictable leagues that you can watch - which is probably why it's every gamblers worst nightmare. Apart from the time São Paulo won it 3 years in a row in 2006, 2007 and 2008 it’s been pretty much difficult to call from season to season. I won't go on so I’ll just go back to 2012 when Flu were champions, then in 2013 they were relegated (albeit they were later reinstated because of the Portuguesa situation...) but my point is that they went from winning it to being this absolutely terrible team and would (and should) have been relegated. Then that same season you had Atlético PR who had previously been promoted from Série B in 2012 and in 2013 ended up finishing third – no one could have called that, not even your Tim Vickery / South American type of experts out there. You can even include Vasco – had a really good season in 2012 and in 2013 they were relegated. Back in 2011 Cruzeiro avoided relegated by a couple of points, 2013 they were crowned champions and are currently leading the way again this season, although I don’t think they will win it again this season, but who knows? That’s the joy of this league and the amount of talented youngsters in it is even greater to watch.

Of course everyone can have their own opinion and what have you but the Brazilian League (including the State championships) is not boring, especially with the likes of Gabigol and Luan running around.
    I am probably speaking prematurely, but this season has been terribly boring. Games are averaging nearly half a goal less than they did in the previous 3 seasons and I think it will be interesting to see the public reaction if this continues, given what happened at the World Cup.

We have been getting an average of 2.14 goals per game this season and to put this into some sort of perspective, the Premier League provided 2.77 goals per game in the 2013-14 season - that is a massive difference. It might not be boring in terms of who can win the league, but individual games have not been enjoyable on the whole lately.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Premiership, Champ, La Liga and Ligue 1. Follow Prem and Ligue 1 most closely.

These are generally for enjoyment, I mainly bet on the horses and, when it's availble during World Champs and Olympics, swimming (if you know a random sport like that it's great, I'm running an 83% win percentage on swimming bets).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Le Nombre)
    Premiership, Champ, La Liga and Ligue 1. Follow Prem and Ligue 1 most closely.

These are generally for enjoyment, I mainly bet on the horses and, when it's availble during World Champs and Olympics, swimming (if you know a random sport like that it's great, I'm running an 83% win percentage on swimming bets).
    Over how many bets? Making money in the Premier League is close to impossible, which is why I watch a lot of less popular leagues.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Over how many bets? Making money in the Premier League is close to impossible, which is why I watch a lot of less popular leagues.
    26 so far. Basically if they'll offer a swimming punt I'll bet on it, they have no idea what they're doing, though max bet's usually low as a result.

Never really tried football betting, mate works for Timeform and half the office are seriously well off from backing horses, the others admittedly chronic gambling addicts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Le Nombre)
    26 so far. Basically if they'll offer a swimming punt I'll bet on it, they have no idea what they're doing, though max bet's usually low as a result.

Never really tried football betting, mate works for Timeform and half the office are seriously well off from backing horses, the others admittedly chronic gambling addicts.
    You will also be banned very quickly, I'm sad to say. I made a lot of money backing horses but I wasn't good enough to show enough profit on Betfair once I was banned by all the bookies. Football is the sport I love and know best and don't have to worry about being banned if I win.

ReputationRep:
    Exclusively BPL and La Liga

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering what leagues TSR members watch. I am a big gambler so watch leagues in which I can gain an advantage, as well as leagues I watch just for enjoyment. So I watch:

Premier League, Championship, League 1 & League 2
    Scottish Championship (only watch the league Rangers are in)
    Spain - La Liga
    Italy - Serie A
    France - Ligue 1 & Ligue 2
    Brazil - Serie A
    Japan - J-League
    Australia - A-League
    Portugal - Primeira Liga
    USA - MLS

I also dabble in various other league from around the world, including the Argentinian league, the Bundesliga and Eredivisie.

Some of these leagues are a real chore to watch and I'm considering never watching Brazilian football again as it is so, so boring.
    PL, Bundesliga and Eredivisie are the only leagues I would say I watch regularly. Drift in and out of La Liga but rarely will I ever watch a non-RM/Barca match tbh. Now and again I'll watch a big Seirie A game or a PSG/Monaco game if I'm bored enough

In terms of pure entertainment, I would say the PL, Bundesliga and Eredivisie are significantly more exciting than any of the others. Serie A in particularly can be disgustingly poor viewing.

I like the Eredivisie in particular since defending tends to be so poor and I get a kick out of being in the 0.1% of football fans who knows something about ADO Den Haag.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    I like the Eredivisie in particular since defending tends to be so poor and I get a kick out of being in the 0.1% of football fans who knows something about ADO Den Haag.
    Lol 3.26 goals per game is absolutely massive!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.