Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Academia - What is your motivation? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Peer pressure, coming from a Chinese family is enough motivation.

Joking aside, hard work = good results. Aka am currently working in France for a year =)

ReputationRep:
    Mine is to think about what we're learning. Each subject one studies is incredibly useful to our civilisation, although many millions of people will never understand it, it's always relevant and many other people have spend their entire lives researching this.
    For example, Maths and Science help us learn more about the Universe and life, and also help us answer even the most unanswerable questions like 'are we alone?' and 'where did we come from?'.
    And with History, people die every single day and learning about it will help us gain a greater understanding of why this happens and how to prevent it. You don't want millions of peoples deaths to be in vain as no-one knows about it, or cares about it (like mass genocide - The Holocaust for example, or the many, many Wars that have been fought).

Listen to The Pale Blue Dot speech by Carl Sagan

ReputationRep:
    My motivation is my African parents constantly telling me; do the people who are getting A* have two heads!?:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    The motivation to not fail and the motivation to know that, even though my parents haven't done as well as they could, they still gave me a fantastic childhood without going to university. And that if I go to university and do well in education I'll theoretically be able to do even better for my children and I when I get even older.

That and I have a dream of working for a company in America for some reason.

ReputationRep:
    I want to take control of the world. But that requires intelligence. So I have to become intelligent.

ReputationRep:
    Trying to gain the best results that I can is like OCD to me, when I imagine them on my certificate they need to be what I believe that I worked for and what I was capable of.

I'm motivated by the fact of my future - what I want to do, having a lot of career options available if it doesn't work out and opportunities. The fact that if I don't achieve that future job is something that I'll have to live with and it'll always be there in my head whatever I do, it's what I want and if I don't get it I'll never forget about not achieving it.

I'm also motivated by the fact that when I'm learning something new (such as starting A Levels this September) I want to know everything behind it, why, how, where etc - it's a new start and I'm imagining it as a white piece of paper that hasn't been written on yet. Hence why I want to get the best grades possible, through this motivation, and write that paper the best that it can be.

ReputationRep:
    I don't get motivation from good grades or idea of failure..

I work because I enjoy and I know there is 10000000.... times more things that I don't know than what I already know. I want to know more about the world and myself

But because of that I don't give a **** about literature etc so I barely complete homework last minute and that's it. Thank god I'm doing A levels and not Baccalaureate

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    At the moment, I don't want to flop.

I got no true motive to really do well for myself, but my family. My family - especially my mum - have done a lot to give me the ability to make it, so now it's about not disappointing them.

I want to be the first to head to Oxbridge out of all the people I know, and enjoy the ride on the way. That will mean being comfortable with progress in grades, which will mean more work. I'm lazy at heart, but I'm down for doing what I have to. Still, I'm set for A stars - more than anything else - now, so I'll see how those pop up on August 21st.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    That I'm not goid at anything except being smart

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    DAE get motivated by like a desire to not not be able to do something? I don't really fear failure or get that excited by something like all A*s, it's more like it can be done so I'm gonna try and do it.. Of course I'm not strongly addicted to this mentality, I just want to prove it to myself in a couple subjects to feel satisfied.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, my reasoning?
    Good question. I'm just one of those people who believe that, even if you fail, you did your best. So if I pick up my GCSEs, and they're terrible, I won't cry, I'll just smile, and re-sit, I know I gave it my best, and if my best isn't enough, so be it. But that doesn't mean I'm going to sit down and take it, oh no. I'll be back alright.

ReputationRep:
    school is the only thing i'm decent at if I work hard enough, i'm not good at anything else

ReputationRep:
    An intrinsic desire and interest to help people, and thinking is my method of coping in the world. HEnce why I turn a critical analytical eye to most things.

Also, philosophy has many intrinsically interesting issues, as does critical theory, political ideology, social science.

Certainly not for money, slightly by fear of failure, but failure on my own terms.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Strom)
    My motivation is the idea of studying at Oxbridge, I wouldn't mind not going there as I get decent grades out of the hard work nevertheless.
    I also enjoy learning and producing notes, especially with maths and the sciences.

I'm just wondering, what are your guys' motivation for working hard?
    All the best! What do you wish to study there?

My motivation is going to sound so horrid but being better than everyone else? I dont want to give myself the opportunity to look up at wonder at someone else :P but also where I DON'T want to end up motivates me ten fold. Also I just want to see how far I can go in terms of potential

ReputationRep:
    For me, Investment Banking - a challenging yet enthralling and rewarding career. It's incredibly competitive and increasingly so, but I'm prepared to work extremely hard for the next 6 years if it means I can land that £40k+ job aged 22. I am partly money motivated, and that is wrong in many respects.. but I'm not greedy and we all respond to different incentives.

What this means however is getting top A-Levels (and GCSEs), doing countless interns, building up a humongous network base, doing many EC's and working 80+ hours a week for 3 years on top of getting a solid degree at a top, target university.

Just think, (and this goes for any career really):

Solid hard work for the next 4, 5, 8 or 10 years will mean that not only you land your 'dream job', whether that be a doctor, lawyer or teacher, but you can reflect back when you're 55 and retired, with all the other '55 year olds' (who didn't try as hard) working for or around you, and think to yourself: Yes, I did try hard, I fulfilled myself, I've pursued my dream job for 30 years and I've earned every single penny around me... I have no regrets.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goldtippedarrows)
    All the best! What do you wish to study there?

My motivation is going to sound so horrid but being better than everyone else? I dont want to give myself the opportunity to look up at wonder at someone else :P but also where I DON'T want to end up motivates me ten fold. Also I just want to see how far I can go in terms of potential
    I HAVE THAT AS WELL SORT OF When I see someone doing better than me, I always think "They're my next target." xD

Either Compsci at cambridge or Physics at Oxford. Open to other options though, and it's only an aspiration of course

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Strom)
    I HAVE THAT AS WELL SORT OF When I see someone doing better than me, I always think "They're my next target." xD

Either Compsci at cambridge or Physics at Oxford. Open to other options though, and it's only an aspiration of course

YAY ! Someone who understands XD theres always soemone whos better so the motivation never does die out and omg in that case you MUST check out Jake Wright on Youtube - hes a cambridge compsci who does vlogs which are super interesting. Hope this can also motivate you and all the best with it all http://youtu.be/fdI2zCuCLx0

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goldtippedarrows)
    YAY ! Someone who understands XD theres always soemone whos better so the motivation never does die out and omg in that case you MUST check out Jake Wright on Youtube - hes a cambridge compsci who does vlogs which are super interesting. Hope this can also motivate you and all the best with it all http://youtu.be/fdI2zCuCLx0
    Oh my freaking hell, I LOVE JAKE WRIGHT! Never met someone else naturally who watches him too! He's so entertaining and a great source of motivation and information Thanks for sharing though! Have you heard of SimonOxfPhys? He has the oxford side of things and although he doesn't vlog as much he's just as entertaining :cool:https://www.youtube.com/user/SimonOxfPhys

EDIT: You can see where I get inspiration for courses from xP I'm open to changeability though, honestly

ReputationRep:
    My motivation is making my parents proud and taking full advantage of the opportunities they worked hard to get for me. Also getting my dream job as a doctor

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.