Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How should I prepare for my AS Levels? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thechemistress)
    Waittttt... How did you know that? D:

Ah, see, that's the same for me with History. I love it, but History essay writing doesn't come completely naturally to me. I do have to put a bit of effort in

We are complete opposites ahaha!

I knew because I have seen the odd few people talk about it and the number of A*'s necessary is quite astronomical! Good luck there though. It should be great for you !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JayJay-C19)
    We are complete opposites ahaha!

I knew because I have seen the odd few people talk about it and the number of A*'s necessary is quite astronomical! Good luck there though. It should be great for you !
    Wow, that was a crazily good guess xD
    Thanks, and good luck in whatever sixth form you're going to

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thechemistress)
    Wow, that was a crazily good guess xD
    Thanks, and good luck in whatever sixth form you're going to

I have quite a good memory. I definitely remember reading posts by you before and the two sort of came together so I took a shot.

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Start practising crying yourself to sleep in the wee hours of the morning, and then waking up sleep-deprived to work for several hours, sustained on nothing but strong coffee and crushed hopes and dreams. Rinse and repeat.
    Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SimpleSomething)
    Start practising crying yourself to sleep in the wee hours of the morning, and then waking up sleep-deprived to work for several hours, sustained on nothing but strong coffee and crushed hopes and dreams. Rinse and repeat.
    Good luck.
    Damn... I hate coffee.

ReputationRep:
    Damn... I hate coffee.
    Admittedly, I'm not the biggest fan either, but it's been like nectar of the Gods for me this past year. Granted, I've had to take naps in my frees instead of studying (shh) but I've not yet fallen completely asleep in a lesson.

ReputationRep:
    for history you might as well get the necessary textbooks now and start making notes, better late than never. The essay writing will improve in classes and from feedback from teachers but you could do the notes now as there is a lot of learning involved, same for biology as well

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you borrow them from your library

Nightworld1066

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gorwell)
    You're an absolute star. We follow this spec, our teacher briefly mentioned that we would study Pride & Prejudice with Othello so I assume it's something to do with romance. The literature department in my school aren't very helpful!

What exam board are you going to be doing?

That sounds really cool! You seem very intelligent so I would think you have a good (great) shot.
    If I do end up opting for joint honours then I'll probably apply to Durham, as the course looks really good. I considered American universities but I doubt my parents would let me go! They were apprehensive about Durham when I mentioned it as it's over 4 hours away so I can't imagine America aha :laugh:
    I did a little research on OTHELLO and I think that Much Ado About Nothing & The Merchant of Venice (both by Shakespeare as I am sure you know) would be good reads. They both have themes of love and Merchant of Venice has a lot about prejudice and division in society and I believe RACE is quite key in Othello.

I hope this helps, too!xo

ReputationRep:
    Well, I have a reputation for being fab, what can I say?

Right, you study Edexcel whilst I study AQA B. I study Enduring Love by Ian McEwan, Much Ado About Nothing by Shakespeare, The Great Gatsby and then I believe we study The Importance of Being Earnest by my favourite author - Oscar Wilde. For Othello, you're probably better of just reading some other Shakespearian plays that have the same sort of storyline and mix with the same themes. What is Othello like/about? I have never read it so if you provide me with a few details I could suggest a book or two!

As for Pride and Prejudice, reading other titles by the Brontë's and Austen will be of great use as they all are quite central to that period and fit the topics that the text covers! I believe that above all else, you should read what you enjoy. I think Jane Eyre will be a good read after Pride and Prejudice and Tess of the D'Urbervilles. I also believe that Great Expectations may be of use to you because it explores themes of social class which run through Pride and Prejudice and most texts of the 19th Century to be honest! There's also quite a decent focus on love in Great Expectations too.

I hope this helped!

Aw, bless :'). My parents want me to make my own decisions but to be honest they only think about the finances. Not the location of the university :')!
    I did Much Ado About Nothing for GCSE coursework It's such a brilliant play! I still remember lots about it so once you start working on it, give me a shout and I can try and help out as much as I can. I would highly recommend watching the 2012 Joss Whedon version of MAAD as it has a modern day twist to it. Oh and the 1993 film version is also fab. I'll send you some online links in a visitors message! This guide is SO useful.

You need to read Atonement by Ian McEwan, it's such a good book I'll tell you that! I've got a list of books that are for casual reading if you would like it? I make lots of book lists to buy or keep an eye out during sales and such (I probably sound like a right book nerd rn! Sorry) :3

Thank you so much for your excellent recommendations! I'm a massive fan of George Orwell if it wasn't obvious so I highly recommend you read any books by him (personal fave being good ol' 1984).

As you are doing TGG this book would be worth a read as it's kind of similar to Gatsby I guess. Ernest Hemingway is a great author to look at too. And the standard like Virginia Woolf- there's an exhibition of hers going on in The National Portrait Gallery in London, so if you live nearby then you should go check it out!

Thank you sooooooooo much!!! I seriously couldn't say thank you enough aha so be expecting a lot of it xxx

ReputationRep:
    I did a little research on OTHELLO and I think that Much Ado About Nothing & The Merchant of Venice (both by Shakespeare as I am sure you know) would be good reads. They both have themes of love and Merchant of Venice has a lot about prejudice and division in society and I believe RACE is quite key in Othello.

I hope this helps, too!xo
    Thank you so much!!! I'll send you a VM as I don't want us to get in trouble for going off thread topic or anything xxx

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.