Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Thor will now be a woman.. thoughts? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Different comic, alternate character. Been done hundreds of times. No big deal.

ReputationRep:
    Couldn't be bothered. Didn't like thor before, still don't like her now :shrug:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I wonder how people would react if it was Jesus they wanted to turn into a woman...

ReputationRep:
    you guys do realise it's not actually the Thor somehow morphing into a woman,
    but having been deemed unworthy of mjolnir and his powers someone else has taken his place,
    who just so happens to be a woman,
    it's a story arc, just like that one time that one superhero died but then didn't,

That's my understanding anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jordooooom)
    I wonder how people would react if it was Jesus they wanted to turn into a woman...
    Except jesus actually existed.

Come on, I'm not religious and even I knew that :hmmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PKMN TRN JAM)
    you guys do realise it's not actually the Thor somehow morphing into a woman,
    but having been deemed unworthy of mjolnir and his powers someone else has taken his place,
    who just so happens to be a woman,
    it's a story arc, just like that one time that one superhero died but then didn't,

That's my understanding anyway
    That's true apparently, and this is cool I suppose, as Odin said whoever is worthy of holding Mjolnir would gain the powers of Thor. Hulk among others had his powers too. I would've been more bothered if Thor had actually transformed into a woman. That would be dumb as ****.

ReputationRep:
    Would not bang.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eva.Gregoria)
    Except jesus actually existed.

Come on, I'm not religious and even I knew that :hmmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes he did. And he is often portrayed as Caucasian when he most certainly wasn't. So it's not like his historical self hasn't been tampered with already..

ReputationRep:
    They are NOT, repeat NOT retconning the original Thor as a woman. Thor has once again proven himself unworthy to wield Mjolnir (like in the first film) and someone else has taken up the alias of Thor. This has happened several times in the past, and isn't the first character to have had a change in alter ego (Spiderman is currently Black Hispanic teenager Miles Morales, for example).

I heard through the grapevine a few months ago they might be writing a story arc in the comics with a female character in Thor's family. I don't know if this is the end result of that rumour, or if there'll be a big event between the two characters or what. This isn't a replacement, it is the daughter of Odin, and an already established character. They're retconning Odin's lineage slightly to include her in the family tree, but it is by no means a replacement for the Odinson.

Personally, I think they'll bring back the original Thor after this arc. It wouldn't be the same without his signature blonde locks and "HAVE AT THEE!" as he flies in to restructure someone's face.

ReputationRep:
    Really don't think this is a big feminist controversy. Have no problem with a comic book doing something like this to attract more female readers etc.

What people should actually be concerned about is David Cameron feeling the need to have women in his Cabinet just for display, rather than on the basis of their merit or political expertise. Or Juncker overriding EU member states nominees for the commission just so that he can meet a 'target' of 10 women on the 28 member panel. Those are the truly insidious effects of feminism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Messalina)
    I'm a feminist and I have a degree in Viking studies. Thor was not a woman nor are women pressing for Thor to be represented as a woman. There are more than enough awesome female norse gods to choose from already, thank you very much. As for the movies, source or you're making it all up.
    Whoever picks up the hammer becomes Thor. In this case....it happens to be a woman.

It has little to do with Norse literature.

yeah but is it canon?

ReputationRep:
      What's next? Bruce Wayne will be retconned into an arab with a turban?

ReputationRep:
      If you have a problem, don't read it. I certainly will.

Comics do not follow a straight path. They are full of different pocket/parallel/multiverses e.t.c.
      The 'male' Thor still exists, albeit in a different universe.

I have a problem with the fact that so-called 'comic-enthusiasts' cannot even recognise this. Sad, really.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by ROONEY-9-MUTD)
      Marvel will now play the masculine aggressive son of a god thor as a woman, they were most likely pressured to do so by feminist.
      Feminist have worked hard to increase the amount of leading actresses in hollywood so I'm not surprised about the change.

What next Cinderella being played as male cross dressing homosexual?

Will stay mirin brah, look at them gainz, look at the striations. RIP.
      I don't have any problem with it as long as they don't recast the films, because Hemsworth is awesome in the role. It's not like Loki never changed genders or anything. I hope they make a crossover comic with Thor and fem!Thor. There is so much potential there.

ReputationRep:
      Thor sucks anyway. One of the most boring characters ever.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Jordooooom)
      Yes he did. And he is often portrayed as Caucasian when he most certainly wasn't. So it's not like his historical self hasn't been tampered with already..
      You do realise that Caucasians and Arabs can look very similar, particular at a point where the Roman empire was big with trading and people moved around a lot. No-one denies he is middle eastern. The only people who portray him as pale are those who never left their own country hundreds of years ago and knew little of the outside.

Still, not sure how various isolated and separate people thought of one deity/demi-God relates to a market which sells a set design to people around the world in it's series, particularly as Marvel's Thor is just a superhuman alien rather than a god.

ReputationRep:
      Tbh i dislike the idea. If Thor were a woman from the start, then fine. But changing gender midway through a series makes no ****ing sense

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.