Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The 'sick of living with my parents' thread Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beccagood95)
    I'm back from uni for the summer and I can't stand it. There's nothing to do and my mum actually went in and tidied my room. :facepalm:
    There is such a lack of privacy, I have to hide condoms and stuff in a lock drawer or my parents will inevitably find it and my mum keeps criticising my looks. I'm so glad the rent on my new flat starts in august as it gives me an excuse to leave early.

I dread graduating uni because then I'll have to move back home. Maybe I can save in the next 2 years and I pray I can get a graduate job or onto a postgraduate so I don't have to move back in here.
    That in my opinion is the worst thing about graduating from university: having to go back home because you have no money and no job/don't have a job good enough to afford rent.

It's so depressing. People who have stayed in the town all their lives asking you 'what happened' like they expect you to be an 'executive' or work in some prestigious law firm from the second you graduate.

Say goodbye to your sex life once you move back home. You won't even be able to masturbate without being on constant alert :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C-Rooney)
    Tbh, I would rather live at home for as long as possible to such a point where I'm financially able to become independent. There are so many people who I went to school with who are now living off benefits in council houses with 3 children to different dads..... I would rather this (my room) than some run down apartment with students and/or council house. My life at home is extremely comfortable. Also, my education is of paramount importance.

Comfortable living > budget living

That's an exceptionally nice and clean room you have there. I'm not very materialistic when it comes to living conditions however, as long as I have the necessities I'm not too bothered, that said I wouldn't want to live on benefits and such like. Anything that will get me out living with parents.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Id and Ego seek)
    I've been bouncing between hostels because I can't live with either parent's home environment.
    Seriously?

ReputationRep:
    I can't wait to leave next year!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by datpiff)

Say goodbye to your sex life once you move back home. You won't even be able to masturbate without being on constant alert :lol:
    That might sound like a funny thing to say but it's true unfortunately, my mom likes to come in my room all the time, she knocks which is nice but my dad never knocks and I'm always on alert just in case. It can be annoying when you're in mid-masturbation and hear someone coming up the stairs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Triple-Sod)
    Ah only today was reminiscing/moaning about how when I first started working I'd cough up £100 a week board and the rest was basically pocket money to squander however I liked..Now I've a mortgage...Still wouldn't ever go back though..

I lived at home though uni, but my heart does go out to those poor buggers who had that taste of freedom and independence then had to go back to living with their folks.
    Surely that should give them the fire to do well in their studies and find a well paid job?

ReputationRep:
    Not looking forward to moving back home when graduating thinking of renting a flat with a mate after uni or perhaps a room.

ReputationRep:
    After having finished my first year at university and now that i'm back at home, i actually can't wait to go back for second year. Its funny how during uni i was like oh it would be nice to be back home, see my parents and family and meet up with old friends. However after only a few weeks i'm already sick of the constant 24/7 nagging by my parents, lack of privacy and freedom, and just boredom really as i only have a few friends back at home and they aren't exactly the most outgoing and sociable type of people... :rolleyes:

Roll on September!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LostGear)
    Surely that should give them the fire to do well in their studies and find a well paid job?
    Maybe...but even then most people end up living back at home for a couple of years..which is bad enough?

..Suppose you could start renting as soon as you got a decent job, but they how'd you save up a deposit to buy a house?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LostGear)
    Seriously?
    Yeah. Unfortunately you can only stay a certain number of days (17-30) depending on the hostel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Id and Ego seek)
    Yeah. Unfortunately you can only stay a certain number of days (17-30) depending on the hostel.
    What about parents? Can't they help?

ReputationRep:
    I just want to get out of here ASAP, hoping all goes well and I get my grades for university this September, if not then :no:

ReputationRep:
    In my case, It's not that I hate living with my parents because they're pretty chill and give me everything that I need and more, it's just that I'm really looking forward to experiencing the university independent lifestyle and I'll be pretty damn disappointed if I don't get my firm, and have to go to my insurance which is close enough that I could live at home.

And now that I've finished sixth form I haven't really seen my group of friends because we've got pretty different interests now, and meeting people @ uni seems appealing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ruffiio)
    After moving out for the first time in my life I can't even imagine living at home while studying my degree, I only live 30-40 minutes away in a car from my university, roughly 23 miles away and despite this I still lived in halls for first year and living in private halls for second year. Moving back home when I graduate would be the worst possible thing I could think of happening in my life right now.

I only live 20 miles from uni but lived in halls for first year and am living in a house with friends for second and third year. I'd get no coursework done at home and it's just too stressful to be here during summer break, so I'm hoping after I've done my PGCE I'll be in a position to live away from home again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bd95)
    I only live 20 miles from uni but lived in halls for first year and am living in a house with friends for second and third year. I'd get no coursework done at home and it's just too stressful to be here during summer break, so I'm hoping after I've done my PGCE I'll be in a position to live away from home again.
    Aspiring teacher? Same here I want to be a history and/or politics teacher to students studying their A levels at college or studying for a degree at university. I don't think I could teach high school or below because the kids are too immature for my liking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Solid.Snake)
    After having finished my first year at university and now that i'm back at home, i actually can't wait to go back for second year. Its funny how during uni i was like oh it would be nice to be back home, see my parents and family and meet up with old friends. However after only a few weeks i'm already sick of the constant 24/7 nagging by my parents, lack of privacy and freedom, and just boredom really as i only have a few friends back at home and they aren't exactly the most outgoing and sociable type of people... :rolleyes:

Roll on September!

Right on, Snake.. I completely feel the same as you mate..but why aren't you out stopping Metal Gear!?!?! :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C-Rooney)
    Tbh, I would rather live at home for as long as possible to such a point where I'm financially able to become independent. There are so many people who I went to school with who are now living off benefits in council houses with 3 children to different dads..... I would rather this (my room) than some run down apartment with students and/or council house. My life at home is extremely comfortable. Also, my education is of paramount importance.

Comfortable living > budget living
    You seem to think the options are run down apartment with student/council house/living with parents. What about your own flat?

ReputationRep:
    All you tossers sulking "i don't want go to my parents after", "I have to hide my condoms" yadda yadda... if you hate it that much why do you even have to go there in the first place?! Bunch of self centered piglets

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ruffiio)
    Aspiring teacher? Same here I want to be a history and/or politics teacher to students studying their A levels at college or studying for a degree at university. I don't think I could teach high school or below because the kids are too immature for my liking.
    yep! I want to teach English secondary school, although not sure on how I'll deal with immature kids really. Might end up teaching A Level if I get too fed up with them haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RedArrow)
    All you tossers sulking "i don't want go to my parents after", "I have to hide my condoms" yadda yadda... if you hate it that much why do you even have to go there in the first place?! Bunch of self centered piglets
    Wanting to live independently makes me a self centred piglet?:rolleyes: Maybe I don't enjoy being judged for every action that I do that doesn't affect anybody but me. Maybe I don't think its right being a burden on my parents when I'm financially able to live independently.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.