Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brownsugar-xx)
    Although there are advantages and disadvantages to both sexes i'm inclined to agree with you, i'd rather just be a boy sometimes.

Also don't forget having to spend time ridding yourself of all your body and facial hair - does my nut in.
    You don't have any nuts... or do you? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iEatMuFFiNS)
    You don't have any nuts... or do you? :rolleyes:
    well I do have chesticles

ReputationRep:
    As a female you can display tears and be faced with sympathy rather than contempt. A man would be more likely to be expected to be more Teflon-like.

Speaking of which:

(Original post by jabire3)
    You can still manipulate guys, so stop complaining.
    Yes, there's that.

For more disadvantages faced by males, take a look at Karen Straughan's video on Feminism and the disposable male.
    You may see that being male can be crap too, and thus the grass isn't necessarily greener.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slade p)
    women are treated better because women are seen as being more precious,nurturing and delicate so women get lots of privileges from men especially which that they take it for granted. also being a woman means you get a lot of male attention even if your not very attractive which is not true other way round.
    Yeah I just love being catcalled and grabbed inappropriately!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mequa)
    As a female you can display tears and be faced with sympathy rather than contempt. A man would be more likely to be expected to be more Teflon-like.

Speaking of which:

Yes, there's that.

For more disadvantages faced by males, take a look at Karen Straughan's video on Feminism and the disposable male.
    You may see that being male can be crap too, and thus the grass isn't necessarily greener.
    Aye I do acknowledge all the downsides males can have as well, but that doesn't change my dislike towards being female and the things I have to deal with being that gender.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by civilstudent)
    You have to live with the vulnerability of being the 'weaker' sex, it's harder to be independant/single ie going out alone at night, you get men rubbing it in your face how much weaker women are compared to them, you have all the hassle of pregnancy (all that hard work at the gym lost) and giving birth whilst men can just relax, keep their bodies in shape and be presented with a nice little baby at the end.

As a tomboy who likes to work out/keep in shape and wants to stay single I can't find any advantages to being female!
    ah... if only more women were like this.

your awesome
    don't ever change

ReputationRep:
    Well you don't have put up with a blow to the balls at least

ReputationRep:
    Why do people constantly feel the need to point out the differences in gender? My gender probably comes near the bottom of importance when considering something (other than buying clothes lol). It was pointed out to me that I'm not typical as I work in a male orientated field, I'm the only female on my team etc.. yet I've never given it much though until recently and I've never considered my gender as a hindrance. It's only a hindrance if you make it. I'm guessing being a bloke can have it's ups and downs too which you never fully consider because being female that is the side you know best, you would never know the full extent of what it's like to be the opposite sex only speculate.

Life is what you make of it, if you are going to moan about how unfair it is to be female then of course it's going to suck, or heaven forbid you could just get on with it and make the most of what you were given. Attitudes like this just add more fuel to the fire and prolong negative assumptions. I don't let what's between my legs define me. I've never felt like the weaker sex, wearing a dress doesn't make me feel any less and just because I have the biological ability to have a child doesn't mean I have to carry it out. If you belittle your own sex then it's no wonder that (some) men feel they can then do the same. There is strength in accepting who you are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    Yeah I just love being catcalled and grabbed inappropriately!
    i bet your a feminist.

ReputationRep:
    If I was a women and doing the same university couse I currently am, I would be 3 grand up.....

ReputationRep:
    i bet your a feminist.
    Oh no the woman doesn't like to be sexually assaulted, she must be an evil feminist!

Is that basically what you are saying?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shahbaz)
    If I was a women and doing the same university couse I currently am I would be 3 grand up.....
    Does your university offer grants specifically for females? Because that's not right at all :/

ReputationRep:
    Oh no the woman doesn't like to be sexually assaulted, she must be an evil feminist!

Is that basically what you are saying?
    no but why did you come out with that, obviously i never said unfortunate things don't happen. but point is women do have privileges because they are women.

ReputationRep:
    Does your university offer grants specifically for females? Because that's not right at all :/
    It does and I really need the money...

ReputationRep:
    I hate being a woman also to be honest, it's a hassle.
    I get honked at by cars at least 50% of the time if I go out the house and then yelled at out of cars by lude men, I can't go out at night on my own for fear of being raped. I get constantly criticized for the way I look. I get sexually assaulted in clubs 70% of the time . I'm mocked for being a woman whenever a serious topic is at hand. There is loads more but I really can't be bothered delving into everything I have to put up with on a day to day basis due to a pair of tits being on my chest.
    "I get honked at by cars at least 50% of the time if I go out the house and then yelled at out of cars by lude men"

Where does this happen? I have never seen this happen.

ReputationRep:
    no but why did you come out with that, obviously i never said unfortunate things don't happen. but point is women do have privileges because they are women.
    I came out with that because that is one of the downsides of being a woman...which is what this thread is about.
    There are both advantages and disadvantages for both genders.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doctor_Einstein)
    Yeah I feel very sorry for you girls. As a male, it is really great being the stronger and smarter sex, and the most respected type of being on the planet Earth. But look on the bright side, at least your still a human, animals have it 100 times worse.
    I found your comment really offensive. Women are as smarter as men, no doubt.
    2008 Higher Education Policy Institute report said women are not only more likely to get into better schools, they´re also more likely to outperform the men once there. Plus, you find women in all areas of workplace.

And who said men are the most respected human beings? You need to ask several women about that in order to come to a conclusion.

And yes, we are humans and so therefore we are equal to all the other human beings, be it a man or a woman.

ReputationRep:
    Oh dear.
    Emmeline Pankhurst would be turning in her grave!

I LOVE being a strong, independent, attractive, kind, funny woman.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EatAndRevise)
    "I get honked at by cars at least 50% of the time if I go out the house and then yelled at out of cars by lude men"

Where does this happen? I have never seen this happen.
    Granted I don't live in a particularly nice area. also that was a mixture of the cars horns and lude comments on the street in general, it does happen. You probably don't see it much because they tend to only do it when the woman is alone. It's never happens to me when I've been with friends.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shahbaz)
    It does and I really need the money...
    Ugh that's ridiculous, I hate "positive" discrimination as much as negative, I put positive in quotation marks because it's clearly negative to the opposite party, in this case being men.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.