Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Building first gaming pc! Watch

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    Aye, I've read as much on the net too! I think that Pentium is an ideal media machine CPU for sure. I'd normally go for threads over clock speed for a gaming rig, but that's me.
    How many games, other than BF4, actually make use of hyperthreading atm?

Aye, I think a £420 PC running at 1080p, 60fps, high is pretty good indeed! Certainly puts the Xbox One to utter shame! :yep:
    And P$4

Also, coming back to the original post on the rig, AMD now have a shadowplay equivalent, ofc it's behind shadowplay a bit sounds like its in the sort of position shadowplay was when it first became available.

ReputationRep:
    £400 won't be enough if you haven't included peripherals, for a good "gaming PC". (Peripherals are things like the monitor, mouse, keyboard, sound system etc).

I can recommend the Nvidia GTX 750Ti as it is a very high performance GPU for it's low price of around £100, whereas alternatively you can go for the AMD branch of GPUs like the R7 260X. Just check the perfomance of the GPUs you want to buy on YouTube or websites like http://gpuboss.com/compare-gpus.

The CPU and GPU should have the most money spent since you're going for gaming and I would recommend that you do watch the power consumption on the CPU and GPU especially, since you're spending a low amount of money on this rig and I would guess that money is as tight as a nun's pussy.

Make sure you have the right sockets for the CPU and motherboard, such as the 4th generation of Intel CPUs needing a motherboard with an LGA1150 sockets and AMD CPUs are a bit more complicated but I cannot be assed for this because I have to be elsewhere as I am typing this.

Always check reviews before buying if you cannot get a first-hand review from someone you know. Also, make sure you're using surge protected sockets because I've had friends that had their power supplies blow up because of surges xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    How many games, other than BF4, actually make use of hyperthreading atm?

And P$4

Also, coming back to the original post on the rig, AMD now have a shadowplay equivalent, ofc it's behind shadowplay a bit sounds like its in the sort of position shadowplay was when it first became available.
    No idea on the hyperthreading tbh. I'd imagine at least Battlefield Hardline does... :awesome:

Cool for AMD. I'm waiting for Shadowplay to record Mic as a 3rd audio channel. Then we'll be in business.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.