Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Ended up in halls with a muslim? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maliha Ahmed)
    OMG! I'm so offended by this. You know one thing? Muslims are also humans!
    (Original post by Mr...)
    You do know that they are not gong to hold you hostage until you convert to Islam? If it bothers you that much the try and talk to your accommodation officer. (You probably ate halal meat in school -school dinners- anyway so...)
    Read the post again, the op IS Muslim and is asking what people would think about sharing halls with Muslims

@OP - you really have nothing to worry about, not drinking won't make you the wet blanket, it definitely isn't all about drinking and you'll make plenty of friends, both non-Muslim and Muslim

Once you get to university you can join different societies and meet people who share the same interests

ReputationRep:
    Considering there were 100 people in my halls 30 people per flat. I didn't even know all the people I lived with by the end of the year. Nobody will even care what religion you are. I don't have a clue if any of my friends are religious or not.

You are being paranoid, most of the people you meet at uni are very accepting people. There is always going to be a small minority that wont like it. But you don't have to be friends with those people.
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    Wait a sec...so the OP is a Muslim?

No, off course its not deliberate.
    Then can I politely suggest you read things that offend you twice before telling everyone you're offended? If a post is really that offensive, report it. But the OP here is worried that people will have an offensive reaction to him, and in another thread you were offended by a post that was (to me, at least) clearly satirical.
    I'm genuinely trying to be polite, btw, the internet conveys tone badly! But yeah, you could do with just taking a minute to chill before you complain next time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jesscann1)
    How would you feel if you moved into halls and one of your flatmates ended up being a Muslim? I'm probably being paranoid but I can't help but think they'd be disappointed for whatever reason, e.g I don't drink.

I'm not overly religious and still go to clubs and such but order a soft drink, it's just that there isn't many or I didn't see many other Muslims during applicant days, (university of Leeds), and I guess I'm used to their company.

I didn't opt for the halal dietary requirement as it means I'll be placed in a single gender flat and I really don't want that, I don't mind the fridge sharing and all that jazz as long as the foods are not touching.

Edit: this is my friends account, I'm a guy.
    you go clubbing and you want to be living in a mixed enviroment you should be worried what muslims would think. what a fool/troll, as are most of these threads about muslim insecurity.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't wanna be flatmates with you either. I would only prefer to live with Muslims.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katie_p)
    Then can I politely suggest you read things that offend you twice before telling everyone you're offended? If a post is really that offensive, report it. But the OP here is worried that people will have an offensive reaction to him, and in another thread you were offended by a post that was (to me, at least) clearly satirical.
    I'm genuinely trying to be polite, btw, the internet conveys tone badly! But yeah, you could do with just taking a minute to chill before you complain next time.
    Next time

lol I guess different people have different views

ReputationRep:
    My Muslim friends don't really care that I go clubbing, don't know how others would react

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roger1)
    I wouldn't wanna be flatmates with you either. I would only prefer to live with Muslims.
    *sigh*

ReputationRep:
    #religionofpeace
    #open-mindedness

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't mind really

ReputationRep:
    *sigh*
    You are racist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manchesterunited15)
    #religionofpeace
    #open-mindedness
    You need to stop stalking me.

ReputationRep:
    You need to stop stalking me.
    don't flatter yourself m8

ReputationRep:
    #religionofpeace
    #open-mindedness
    Blame the person, not the religion. He/she said they would prefer to live with a Muslims, probably because its their personal choice, not cos they've been influenced by their religion. #ClearDifference

ReputationRep:
    Blame the person, not the religion. He/she said they would prefer to live with a Muslims, probably because its their personal choice, not cos they've been influenced by their religion. #ClearDifference
    Islam clearly encourages discrimination against non-believers

ReputationRep:
    I think you misunderstood, I'm the Muslim
    Ohhh right, the post was kinda confusing .

It's understandable for you to feel quite nervous, especially as many non-Muslims love to drink and party, and for some other obvious differences. However many people can get on without having the same religion. The other students will feel the same as you, nervous to start uni and that can be a good place to start a friendship.
    On a realistic note, they may want to hit the clubs or go to the pub after a lecture. The question is are your flatmates going to be on your course or your only friends? You'll make mates who have the same beliefs as you on your course and probably spend your free time with them too. You never know there might be another flatmate who is a Muslim. Overall just try to get involved and be yourself. No matter what don't change who you are or your beliefs in order to fit in. Good Luck! :^_^:

ReputationRep:
    Islam clearly encourages discrimination against non-believers
    Evidence?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diamante06)
    Ohhh right, the post was kinda confusing .

It's understandable for you to feel quite nervous, especially as many non-Muslims love to drink and party, and for some other obvious differences. However many people can get on without having the same religion. The other students will feel the same as you, nervous to start uni and that can be a good place to start a friendship.
    On a realistic note, they may want to hit the clubs or go to the pub after a lecture. The question is are your flatmates going to be on your course or your only friends? You'll make mates who have the same beliefs as you on your course and probably spend your free time with them too. You never know there might be another flatmate who is a Muslim. Overall just try to get involved and be yourself. No matter what don't change who you are or your beliefs in order to fit in. Good Luck! :^_^:

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I'd care. As long as you respect other people's beliefs and are friendly, I don't think that many people will be phased. Loads of people aren't planning to drink in uni so you're likely not to be the only one. If you're still willing to join in and go out with your flatmates without necessarily drinking, I don't think it'd be much of a problem.

ReputationRep:
    don't think there would be any real problem just as long as everyone is trying to be nice with each other.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.