Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Pharmacy numbers are going to be capped soon, so don't not apply just for this reason. Infact, apply now because it will be much harder if you change your mind and the numbers are capped.

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.u...422210.article

If you have a genuine interest in the subject, go ahead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aaisha.Akhtar)
    I'm currently in year 12, and I'd like to go on and study Pharmacy at either Aston University or Birmingham (wait until it gets its accreditation...which it will). Anyhoo, I'm very passionate about Pharmacy and I really want to pursue it. However, I don't want to study it, if there are no jobs out there. Of course, Universities will do their best to sell Pharmacy as a course, but really and truly, this is my future. I don't want to make the wrong decision. I can't afford to take risks.
    I recently did a work placement at a Pharmacy and I absolutely loved it. Prior to this, I had no idea what I wanted to become. Everyday I would say something different. But now, I'm absolutely sure that this is what I want to do. But if there are no jobs out there, within this sector, then there is no point. The manager at the Pharmacy also stated that I could do my pre-registration with them.
    I've done my research and it appeals to me. Except for the fact, that a new law has been passed which states no one is allowed to set up new pharmacies, due to its saturation. I think 24 hour pharmacies are exempt from this. Not sure :/
    What to do guys??
    ive just recently qualified in august. locuming has become dry. only worth doing pharmacy if you have family that own a pharmacy tbh.
    make sure u research properly all the careers that your interested in.

ReputationRep:
    It is most definitely saturated. A simple google search would lead you to pharmaceutical journal articles telling you about the struggle pharmacists are facing to get a job in different sectors within pharmacy. My best advice to you would be to research into an a profession which would lead you to a job in the end. With the sheer number of pharmacy schools opening and no attempt to cap numbers in the near future it isn't going to get better.

Universities don't prepare you for the realities of the current job market in pharmacy. I think it is better to be aware of the issues and know what to expect. As opposed to graduating and struggling to find a pre-registration place and then struggling even more to find a job after all that hard work and not to mention debt.

ReputationRep:
    My sister did Pharmacy and graduated from Aston in 2004. The job prospects were decent/good back then but even she tells me now its become saturated. I'd assume its the same for Optom, which I applied for but didn't get in and by luck got accepted for Mechanical Engineering and have never looked back since.

ReputationRep:
    work in a pharmacy part time, ie boots or lloyds, become a dispensing assistant or lower down the chain(ie sales assistant with dispensing training), then you'll pretty much be guaranteed a job.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.