Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm struggling to find things that are related to psychology for my Personal Statment Watch

ReputationRep:
    I wrote about my love of cigars and how it actually relates to my unresolved Electra complex with my father.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tabitha__)
    I wrote about my love of cigars and how it actually relates to my unresolved Electra complex with my father.
    Nice. I'm more of an Oedipus man myself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chazwomaq)
    Nonsense. If you have read the book and it has influenced you, put it in.

There are plenty of other great psychology books - I would particularly recommend How the Mind Works by Pinker and Thinking Fast, Thinking Slow by Kahneman

Subversive advice: your personal statement is not that important (as long as you don't seriously mess it up). Many university offers are fairly automatic - if you meet the grade and subject requirements, you get an offer. If you are to be interviewed for the course, then the personal statement might become the subject of the interview, but if not...we don't really look at them that closely (unless there are special circumstances blah blah).

As admission tutors, we don't tend to agonise over personal statements to judge which is the best.

Schools encourage you to put a lot of effort in to make you think about the course(s) you want to study, and to make you feel like you are investing in your future. These are not bad motives.
    So your a psychology admissions tutor?

I've spoken to admissions tutors who have said that they don't really pay much notice to personal statements (since you never know how much help someone recieved over it). However, I think the particular book mentioned (oliver sacks one) given that it is always talked about would not really look very good- of course if the whole personal statement is good it wont matter much anyhow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iammichealjackson)
    So your a psychology admissions tutor?
    Used to be.

ReputationRep:
    If you see this, could you please send it to me too, I have the same problem and need all the inspiration I can get.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.