Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How important is it to go to a Russell Group/top 10 university for WELL-PAID jobs? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wisefire)
    Firstly, I don't want £75k. That's a minimum. I just want more...

Now... **** off. Because I want an 80k+ car, a 650k+ modern apartment or house and the ability to travel the world and have actual freedoms. I've calculated I need to save £2300+ a month to do this, AND BY ****ING GOD I WILL LIVE FRUGALLY IF I MUST TO DO THIS. But, what I really need is a job that pays £3800+ a month after tax (or a £73k+ salary). I want an upper-middle/high class existence, that I don't see why any other walking skeleton on Earth can have, but I cannot. With the money, I'd have better freedoms, in the crazier, more advanced and more beautiful future that's to come. This is the best time in human history to have money. Sex, friends and relationships are a common human... No, ANIMAL 'privilege'. Everybody can have all of that. But money is both a limited resource to many, and a restriction. I just want to be exceptional. Besides, with the money, I'd also have better and more girls in my sex life. That thought alone drives me a fair bit.

I am the poorest person I know of. I live in relative poverty. My mind deserves more, I subjectively feel. It really does. Why am I a nothing, when I have so much to offer, and to be, and to do? I am indeed a more aware individual than most. I know things (there's a difference between knowledge and intelligence; I'm just saying I know many details about the world). I am a well-spoken, eloquent, cultured individual, who likes to think of himself as intelligent. I am extremely confident and extroverted, and am bold. I am all this, and I can display all this if you actually knew me in person... And yet, deep down, I feel like truly nothing. I really mean that latter part. I really am not very much in so many ways. I barely have a TRUE USP. Everybody's got a good 'balance' in their traits. One could be smart and ugly, sexy and dumb etc (stereotypical analogies). ME? I can't find a single bit of 'balance' within me, and it's not even like I fail to appreciate what I actually am good at. These days, I am almost a wreck. Writing this post (halfheartedly; I apologise for grammatical mistakes) angers and upsets me... I WANT to be used. I WANT the world to use me up, and to reward me well for it. I can do NOTHING in my petty existence, whilst everybody else around me can do something that's got a bit more substance... Holidays, friends, parties, sex parties even, buying things, going places, trips, excursions, eating at nice places, eating good, varied food, getting driving licenses, connections, optimisms... All this, bestowed to them because of their families. Their base in life is not too far off my dream. I know millionaires and a billionaire (literally), and I am a nothing not just compared to them, but even to the 'typical joe'.

As I have said, my unique position has enlightened me. The parties and fun times that the (uber)-rich have do... Well, I know them, and I have seen what they do... And I can tell you: it would motivate you. I want social mobility. You have no idea what I go through, and the uniqueness of my social status and circumstances... You'd be surprised by what I go through. I can sense myself doing something extreme one day to make money. Starting a business, learning to code and writing and developing apps and websites, selling my house when I can just to start off a streak of property development profits, moving to a low income tax country etc etc... I have no inheritance. I have no old money that you or others may have. I am nothing, and I am a something. AND, I go to a school where everybody is more than me... Much more. I go to a very highly ranked school that I managed to get a high bursary for. Anyway lol... PLEASE, INTERNET, SPIES... MI5, MI6, anything, anybody or any intelligence out there that may read this... I am going MENTAL over money. Help me out...

Sorry for the rant. I felt like pouring out my internal monologue right there...
    This is slightly scary.

Actually, scratch the slightly. It's borderline Elliot Rodgers.

There's no point dreaming about billions in this half-crazed mental state. First, I would advise you to try and cultivate a sense of self-worth separate from your future income and career. Take it from someone who's worked in IB and has many friends in the industry - it's somewhat underwhelming when you actually get there, and is just as likely to make you more miserable as it is to make you happier.

Second, approach your goals more constructively. Cut the rant and dreams of yourself in 20 years time and concentrate on the next step to getting where you want to be. In your case, this sounds like attaining the best A Level grades you can to get into the best university for Maths/Economics you can. Put your energy into that, and forget about what comes after for now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by will2348)
    Both.

Employers filter by your grades and university.

For example, if you got ABB but studied at Oxford you'd probably still be rejected on the basis you didn't meet the minimum UCAS requirement.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh I get that but say someone gets A*AA and has to study at their local ex-poly for some reason, would they be worse off than someone who went to a RG uni??

ReputationRep:
    With the greatest of respect, you are the exception, not the rule. You have to generalise when giving advice. But congratulations anyway.
    I disagree, mate. I know plenty of people like me who e.g. picked their UG uni for its location and not its ranking, and for PG because of price and still did quite well for themselves - especially outside the UK. If your overall proposition to an HR rep is good enough and you impress in the interview, the school you went to doesn't matter that much, especially for your 2nd and 3rd job (referencing OP's 10 year time horizon).

ReputationRep:
    if you cannot work out the answer to this question yourself then I doubt you will end up with a well paid job

(Original post by ClickItBack)
      This is slightly scary.

Actually, scratch the slightly. It's borderline Elliot Rodgers.

There's no point dreaming about billions in this half-crazed mental state. First, I would advise you to try and cultivate a sense of self-worth separate from your future income and career. Take it from someone who's worked in IB and has many friends in the industry - it's somewhat underwhelming when you actually get there, and is just as likely to make you more miserable as it is to make you happier.

Second, approach your goals more constructively. Cut the rant and dreams of yourself in 20 years time and concentrate on the next step to getting where you want to be. In your case, this sounds like attaining the best A Level grades you can to get into the best university for Maths/Economics you can. Put your energy into that, and forget about what comes after for now.
      I don't think it's scary. The OP is 17-18 now and they understand the hardships they have faced. Although they have put it slightly cynically, there comes a point that you just can't handle all of this and it's either that you carry on living like that or you change for the better.

The OP is actually talking common sense that they know to get better they need to achieve highly in academia. It's at least that, rather than some people I know who don't have the strive or the ambition to do well at all because they are going to inherit ****loads.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by SamTheMan95)
      Oh I get that but say someone gets A*AA and has to study at their local ex-poly for some reason, would they be worse off than someone who went to a RG uni??
      Depends. But generally speaking, they would find it harder.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
      You have a confidence issue. Poverty doesn't make a person lesser of a man.

ReputationRep:
      when you say well-paid job are we talking 30-50k, 50k+ or like 100k+?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by frogs r everywhere)
      You have a confidence issue. Poverty doesn't make a person lesser of a man.
      I think the essence of his post was not so much being less of a man but rather the immense pressure, stress and struggles that such poverty can cause.

ReputationRep:
      I already explicated what I meant: £75k+

Posted from TSR Mobile
      surely 75k is so far down the line that your salary will be independent of where you got your degree. Your pre-university and university attainment gets you into the door of your first 1-3 jobs that are like at the 15k-30k range, then its your performance in these jobs that will push your salary up. If you go to Oxford but you're found to be incompetent in the work place, you will not reach 75k.

ReputationRep:
      x

The way you apparently come from poverty makes me think of a few rappers, maybe instead of looking for employment use your head and start your business like how they took their initiative?

If you're on this site looking to be rich then you're wasting your time, time that could be used for making money. Clearly you don't have the ambition to be rich...

ReputationRep:
      I hope so then; that's the exact point of this thread... Just how relevant is university degree/institution in getting such salaries? Performance at work is probably something I can more easily and directly control, as opposed to building my qualifications.

Posted from TSR Mobile
      It depends because if you're aiming for jobs where you reach 70k either very quickly or as a starting salary then university very much matters a lot. If aiming for an average job, then reaching that salary depends on performance.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
      Isn't Birmingham a top university?

ReputationRep:
      I think the essence of his post was not so much being less of a man but rather the immense pressure, stress and struggles that such poverty can cause.
      His post insinuates his lack of self worth. And I quote "why am I a nothing". "I am nothing in my petty existence" "I feel like absolutely nothing". Although I sympathise, nothing great will be accomplished if he remains in this relentless depressing state of mind. I acknowledge that his economic circumstance might have influenced this, but to facilitate one's social mobility, pessimism and a poor self esteem will do nothing but inhibit it.

ReputationRep:
      Firstly, I don't want £75k. That's a minimum. I just want more...

Now... **** off. Because I want an 80k+ car, a 650k+ modern apartment or house and the ability to travel the world and have actual freedoms. I've calculated I need to save £2300+ a month to do this, AND BY ****ING GOD I WILL LIVE FRUGALLY IF I MUST TO DO THIS. But, what I really need is a job that pays £3800+ a month after tax (or a £73k+ salary). I want an upper-middle/high class existence, that I don't see why any other walking skeleton on Earth can have, but I cannot. With the money, I'd have better freedoms, in the crazier, more advanced and more beautiful future that's to come. This is the best time in human history to have money. Sex, friends and relationships are a common human... No, ANIMAL 'privilege'. Everybody can have all of that. But money is both a limited resource to many, and a restriction. I just want to be exceptional. Besides, with the money, I'd also have better and more girls in my sex life. That thought alone drives me a fair bit.

I am the poorest person I know of. I live in relative poverty. My mind deserves more, I subjectively feel. It really does. Why am I a nothing, when I have so much to offer, and to be, and to do? I am indeed a more aware individual than most. I know things (there's a difference between knowledge and intelligence; I'm just saying I know many details about the world). I am a well-spoken, eloquent, cultured individual, who likes to think of himself as intelligent. I am extremely confident and extroverted, and am bold. I am all this, and I can display all this if you actually knew me in person... And yet, deep down, I feel like truly nothing. I really mean that latter part. I really am not very much in so many ways. I barely have a TRUE USP. Everybody's got a good 'balance' in their traits. One could be smart and ugly, sexy and dumb etc (stereotypical analogies). ME? I can't find a single bit of 'balance' within me, and it's not even like I fail to appreciate what I actually am good at. These days, I am almost a wreck. Writing this post (halfheartedly; I apologise for grammatical mistakes) angers and upsets me... I WANT to be used. I WANT the world to use me up, and to reward me well for it. I can do NOTHING in my petty existence, whilst everybody else around me can do something that's got a bit more substance... Holidays, friends, parties, sex parties even, buying things, going places, trips, excursions, eating at nice places, eating good, varied food, getting driving licenses, connections, optimisms... All this, bestowed to them because of their families. Their base in life is not too far off my dream. I know millionaires and a billionaire (literally), and I am a nothing not just compared to them, but even to the 'typical joe'.

As I have said, my unique position has enlightened me. The parties and fun times that the (uber)-rich have do... Well, I know them, and I have seen what they do... And I can tell you: it would motivate you. I want social mobility. You have no idea what I go through, and the uniqueness of my social status and circumstances... You'd be surprised by what I go through. I can sense myself doing something extreme one day to make money. Starting a business, learning to code and writing and developing apps and websites, selling my house when I can just to start off a streak of property development profits, moving to a low income tax country etc etc... I have no inheritance. I have no old money that you or others may have. I am nothing, and I am a something. AND, I go to a school where everybody is more than me... Much more. I go to a very highly ranked school that I managed to get a high bursary for. Anyway lol... PLEASE, INTERNET, SPIES... MI5, MI6, anything, anybody or any intelligence out there that may read this... I am going MENTAL over money. Help me out...

Sorry for the rant. I felt like pouring out my internal monologue right there...
      Wow you have some serious issues. I'd recommend you get yourself checked.

ReputationRep:
      I'm not from poverty. I'm lower-middle class. I'm relatively poor, however. I know nobody poorer than me for various reasons. In fact, I am miles behind literally everyone I know. I'm just a bit of an ambitious **** mate. Yeah, it's silly the way you put across the latter half of your reply, but you have a point. I should get out of TSR...

Posted from TSR Mobile
      No you don't have ambition...

If you had ambition you would be working your ass off right now, think of someone like Peter Jones started at 16 look at him now, look at Mark Zuckerberg started at 19 billionaire by 23...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
      What is a better PG uni - Bath, UCL or Durham? Or are all on a relatively equal footing?

ReputationRep:
      Yes, but they had contacts and capital to start a business you idiot. I do not know how to start a business too... I have actually tried and I have searched the Internet a fair bit on how to start a business, but I'm still totally confused about it... Do I go to the government to register it/make it official? I need a good idea too. Do I want a product or service... If it's a product, how do I go and create it...?
      Mark Zuckerberg didn't at all neither did Peter Jones. Peter Jones started something he loved went on with it and Mark Zuckerberg started programming from a young age and created something out of it, maybe if you learn programming a language, you could offer a service? If you have no idea, why not just improve upon a current product or service? I

Legally starting a business is something you're going to need to find out yourself, if you want to get rich, you can't rely on others, you have to do it all yourself rather than employment where all the legal stuff is done for you...

I'm being harsh because I have to just to let you know...

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.