Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is there any real reason to be a vegetarian? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Yeah. Being a ****ing pussy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bertstare)
    Aren't you a medical student? I get that there's the money incentive to that, but it really jades me that future doctors don't care about animal welfare...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nohomo)
    Aren't you a medical student? I get that there's the money incentive to that, but it really jades me that future doctors don't care about animal welfare...
    Dental. Take it up with these guys:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=555644

ReputationRep:
    Dental. Take it up with these guys:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=555644
    ****ing hell!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chagsha)
    I would say we have to look into the manner of which the majority of cows and chickens are killed for eat in order to compare.. Also I would say that less birds are killed in comparison to the amount of cows that are butchered for meat..?

Can I ask why you think vegetarians are hyporcritical again ?
    I don't have any figures on hand, but you'd be surprised.

At least meat eaters are consuming the animal - it's not senseless and left to rot like the ones in mangled crop fields; it is actually used and consumed which is pretty much how nature works.

hypocritical if they claim to be doing it because they think that meat eaters kill animals directly or indirectly and that their food was at the cost of no animals life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chagsha)
    Cows and chickens are killed for meat in a far more barbaric fashion. So I would rather be a bird in this case. And lets not forget that meat eaters also consumer vegan products.
    Have you visited an abattoir recently?

They are incredibly humane and stress free. Don't take your opinions of the subject from Youtube and anti meat protesters. Actually look in to it. It someone was going to kill me I would be quite happy to be killed in the manner our livestock are.

(Original post by iEatMuFFiNS)
    I doubt it, being churned up by spinning blades and a lot of the time left mutilated to die slowly is far less barbaric to you?
    Could you tell me what cultivation machinery you are talking about with these "spinning blades"?

I'm sure it isn't a plough or set of discs. But please do enlighten me.

ReputationRep:
    Why should doctors be that concerned with animal welfare?

Shouldn't it be the farmers who are most concerned with animal welfare? Or the Vets?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    Why should doctors be that concerned with animal welfare?

Shouldn't it be the farmers who are most concerned with animal welfare? Or the Vets?
    I feel that doctors should be concerned with welfare in general, as should everyone. But I'd expect more of doctors, since they're bleeding huge amounts of money for being in a "caring" profession. *******s.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattyR2895)
    The only real reason I can see to be a vegetarian is if you happen to dislike the taste of meat, and so you don't eat it, which I suppose technically makes you a vegetarian, but it's not on any kind of ethical grounds.
    I'm a meat eater, so obviously I have no ethical problems with killing animals to eat them, but most vegetarians do, and yet they still consume dairy and eggs? Those industries have the same implications for the animals as the meat industry. The cows that produce milk are killed after a couple of years when they are no longer able to produce the milk, usually they are turned in to meat for people to eat. Same in the egg industry, male cocks are of no use and killed.
    I have nothing against people who are ethically against the consumption of animal products, ie vegans. We just share different ethics. I just think it's hypocritical to say killing animals is wrong and then contribute to the dairy and egg industry, as most vegetarians do.
    Also any self proclaimed 'vegetarians' who still eat fish, gtfo.

I'm a vegetarian because I do not promote the killing of animal. For the reason, the animal is a living being much like us, whether it be a fish to a donkey. I also do not support the capture of animals in battery farms, the living conditions are horrible. Vice versa for fish farms, which i recently learnt people think fish do not feel pain. They do feel pain, and they do get stressed when captured in a fish farm much like a human would.

People ask me all the time but why do you not eat meat? It is lush. I agree I have no disagreement that meat is lush but then I follow up with the question would you kill your dog? Normally assuming they have morals or even better are virtuous they reply "no". Then I follow with the fact pigs, for example, are like a dog. Pigs may learn a name you taught them and play games with you much like a dog do.

Now the reason, I am not a vegan which is the question you are probably thinking at the moment is because there are so many products which are sourced from the farm. I personally find it so difficult to become a vegan, much respect for the people who do. But personally, when people question why you a vegetarian not a vegan? and start snide remarks such as "That came from a cow" it incenses me because I have made a sacrifice to stop less lives being taken, yet you are sitting there judging someone whilst you eat meat? Not to add to the fact I do not preach to anyone about becoming a vegetarian because I respect it is their choice.

Anyway I have blabbered on haha, but in conclusion I am a vegetarian because I do not see it right taking an animals life for indulgence of meat or the pleasure of temporarily please of our taste buds when we have other alternatives or substitutes such as Quorm.

But it is up to the individual at the end of the day.

ReputationRep:
    I feel that doctors should be concerned with welfare in general, as should everyone. But I'd expect more of doctors, since they're bleeding huge amounts of money for being in a "caring" profession. *******s.
    Doctors are in the industry of caring for humans, not animals. We have Vets for animals.

ReputationRep:
    The only real reason I can see to be a vegetarian is if you happen to dislike the taste of meat, and so you don't eat it, which I suppose technically makes you a vegetarian, but it's not on any kind of ethical grounds.
    I'm a meat eater, so obviously I have no ethical problems with killing animals to eat them, but most vegetarians do, and yet they still consume dairy and eggs? Those industries have the same implications for the animals as the meat industry. The cows that produce milk are killed after a couple of years when they are no longer able to produce the milk, usually they are turned in to meat for people to eat. Same in the egg industry, male cocks are of no use and killed.
    I have nothing against people who are ethically against the consumption of animal products, ie vegans. We just share different ethics. I just think it's hypocritical to say killing animals is wrong and then contribute to the dairy and egg industry, as most vegetarians do.
    Here is a video if you are interested. I warn you it is graphic though http://www.meatvideo.com/

ReputationRep:
    Doctors are in the industry of caring for humans, not animals. We have Vets for animals.
    Seems that vets don't care either, judging by that thread that was linked here. I don't see humans and animals as all that different. Some animals are better than humans.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a vegetarian myself (not yet at least), but anyway:

Not all vegetarians consume eggs or dairy, and amongst the ones that do, I think the argument can still be made that they still consume less animal products than omnivores and thus the suffering/environmental damage they cause is lower. Since I'm way too forgetful to take supplements I don't think veganism is really an option for me.

Yes, technically the correct term for such people is "pescetarian".

ReputationRep:
    Seems that vets don't care either, judging by that thread that was linked here. I don't see humans and animals as all that different. Some animals are better than humans.
    From my experience of Vets they want the highest standard of living for animals. As for farm animals they ensure they get a high standard of living and a humane stressless death. Vets can eat meat too, but these are the people who actually help the animals when they are injured or ill. If they did not care then they would not be vets.

ReputationRep:
    I thought they were carnivores?

ReputationRep:
    From my experience of Vets they want the highest standard of living for animals. As for farm animals they ensure they get a high standard of living and a humane stressless death. Vets can eat meat too, but these are the people who actually help the animals when they are injured or ill. If they did not care then they would not be vets.
    If they really cared they'd promote taxpayer funded farms, which didn't slaughter animals when they were at their optimal level for human consumption. We promote welfare for humans who can't work, so why not animals?

How do you know they care? It's a highly prestigious job with good pay. There are other incentives for being a vet lol
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    The ethical argument for vegetarianism is in my mind a very simple one and looks like this:
    1. Living ethically requires a person to avoid being responsible for causing unnecessary suffering or harm whenever this is reasonably possible.
    2. Eating meat causes animals to suffer or come to harm.
    3. It is not necessary for humans to eat meat.
    4. Conclusion: Eating meat contradicts the notion of living ethically.

It is true that the egg and dairy industries also unnecessarily cause animals to suffer or come to harm, but this does not negate the above argument. It is also the case that it's these industries which are at fault rather than the nature of the food itself, i.e., it's possible to eat non-industrially sourced eggs and dairy.

For vegetarians who eat industrially-sourced eggs and dairy, there's the argument that it is unreasonably difficult to be vegan (it looks to me to be very difficult and restrictive). But even if that argument is not accepted, it's still the case that some ethical action is better than none at all. That a person tries to do something rather than nothing, even though they don't go all the way, is still good and does not imply hypocrisy.

ReputationRep:
    If they really cared they'd promote taxpayer funded farms, which didn't slaughter animals when they were at their optimal level for human consumption. We promote welfare for humans who can't work, so why not animals?

How do you know they care? It's a highly prestigious job with good pay. There are other incentives for being a vet lol
    There is a huge difference between humans and animals. Farm animals are for human consumption, they are born to be eaten. Why should we waste tax payer's money on funded farms, when the farms we have got are perfectly fine.

Have you got much experience of farms and how they work?

ReputationRep:
    There is a huge difference between humans and animals. Farm animals are for human consumption, they are born to be eaten. Why should we waste tax payer's money on funded farms, when the farms we have got are perfectly fine.

Have you got much experience of farms and how they work?
    That's only because of cultural norms that they're "born to be eaten". Years ago, females were "born to stay in the kitchen." Why should we waste taxpayer money on the disabled, if we won't waste it on animals? Why not eat both?

Yes

ReputationRep:
    That's only because of cultural norms that they're "born to be eaten". Years ago, females were "born to stay in the kitchen." Why should we waste taxpayer money on the disabled, if we won't waste it on animals? Why not eat both?

Yes
    You are clutching at straws now. What is the point on spending money on animals, which are a food produce and then not use them for food? If we were not producing the animals for food then they would be a waste of space which we could be using for arable land.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.