Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Fanciest thing I can cook using only a microwave/toaster at TSR towers Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehforum)
    Jacob's Creek run through an Israeli Sodastream. The horror.
    I'm sorry. I boycott all that kind of stuff. That's sparkling white wine that Palestinians should be able to enjoy instead.

ReputationRep:
    why not just order a pizza its easier
    • Editorial Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by themanwithaplanb)
    why not just order a pizza its easier
    This way is more fun!

ReputationRep:
    Potato waffles can be cooked in a toaster. :fyi:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superwolf)
    I think She-Ra gave us the lowdown on that one

ReputationRep:
    :sad: And I was so happy to have shared that information with the world. :ashamed:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ProppaNutty)
    How powerful is the Microwave ?

you can potentially cook a steak in a microwave, depending on power
    Please don't cook a steak in the microwave

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chazwomaq)
    Please don't cook a steak in the microwave
    Why not ?

I've never done it personally, but I used to work in a kitchen and the head chef said he had cooked a steak a few time in their microwaves.

ReputationRep:
    Eggs are pretty good in a microwave - just don't overcook and avoid explosions: http://www.buzzfeed.com/arielknutson...in-a-microwave

For the toaster, you can stuff pitta breads with fillings (ham, cheese salad, whatever) and toast them to make a mini toastie.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ProppaNutty)
    Why not ?

I've never done it personally, but I used to work in a kitchen and the head chef said he had cooked a steak a few time in their microwaves.
    It will be disgusting. Where did this chef work...so I can never go there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chazwomaq)
    It will be disgusting. Where did this chef work...so I can never go there?
    hahha, it was my local pub.

Its probably rubbery, and taste like crap, but you can still cook a steak in a microwave

ReputationRep:
    If you have the right plastic platey thingy, you can cook crispy bacon in a microwave. You can also cook pasta in a microwave spaghetti cooker thing. Cook a jar of instant pasta sauce in its glass jar, crumble the bacon into the sauce and pour over the spaghetti. You can also do toasted sandwiches in a toaster with one of those teflon lined envelopes gizmos.

Yes, I know too much about niche cooking utensils. I also know you can get a lot of them from the Brighton branch of Homesense, next to the big clock. Not far to go.
    • TSR Community Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carnationlilyrose)
    If you have the right plastic platey thingy, you can cook crispy bacon in a microwave. You can also cook pasta in a microwave spaghetti cooker thing. Cook a jar of instant pasta sauce in its glass jar, crumble the bacon into the sauce and pour over the spaghetti. You can also do toasted sandwiches in a toaster with one of those teflon lined envelopes gizmos.

Yes, I know too much about niche cooking utensils. I also know you can get a lot of them from the Brighton branch of Homesense, next to the big clock. Not far to go.
    PRSOM
    • TSR Community Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    :sad: And I was so happy to have shared that information with the world. :ashamed:
    Awww - the question is, have you guys actually tried it yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by She-Ra)
    PRSOM
    And very large bags of herbs and spices for £1 from Tiger, just down the road, along with a fine range of spice jars for 50p to put them in. I highly recommend the lemon flavoured black pepper to cover up any, shall we say, idiosyncrasies of flavour in your experiments... (I had such a wonderful time shopping in Brighton at half term....)

ReputationRep:
    Cookie dough in a cup!

Nom.

ReputationRep:
    So good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clip)
    Poached eggs with french toast.

Poached eggs:

Small bowl. Spoonful of water. Crack eggs in (one at a time) and prick yolk. Give it 30 seconds at full power. Check, and then give another 15s until whites are done.

French toast:

Lightly toast a slice. Remove, and using a big ol' knife, cut off the crusts and then carefully split the toast laterally into two halves. You should have two pieces with one soft side and one toasted side. Cut into triangles and microwave for 60s. Should curl and crisp into French toasts.

You sir have just revolutionized the use of my microwave.

+1.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Armadillo)
    Update:

Made the She Ra special mini cheesecakes!

Had some feedback from motorbiker about the amount of cream cheese to fill them in ! Eating them now! yum.

mmm Jealous!
    That looks awfully nice, sickly? but very nice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Armadillo)
    Hi guys,

In the TSR Towers we have a nice big microwave and a large fridge to keep food in. I've been thinking - what is the nicest food I can prepare over lunch! I want to make a dish that will dazzle my co-workers!

The rules are:
    I can buy ANY food to start with, but the food can't be pre-cooked (no microwavable burgers, that's cheating!)

The food must be able to be prepared in an hour (I can leave stuff to set over night though!)

Preliminary examples
    -Scrambled eggs +toast
    -Chocolate cake in a cup? thanks Shooks
    -Various salads
    -Large subs i.e. tuna and cucumber sub

quote list

Similar to Clip's poached egg (and probably nowhere near as nice but it's still easy)

I used to get two eggs, mix them, put them in the microwave for 1:30... Thinking back it really wasn't that nice but it's just so easy so I did it anyway. Found the method on Google and apparently quite popular though so perhaps it's just me

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 19, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.