Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

2014 Best Film Summer Blockbuster watch

ReputationRep:
    Amazing Spider-Man 2 was awful. Forgettable action sequences, poor script and the plot was just a mess. The CGI also made me think I was watching a cartoon at times. I was hoping it would be the end of the series since it didn't make a huge amount of cash but unfortunately Sony seem intent on continuing with the films until no one can ever stand seeing a spider-man film again.

22 Jump Street was amazing and absolutely hilarious. It's just more of the same but the self-referential jokes about it being an unnecessary sequel made it even funnier.

Godzilla was pretty good. The acting was questionable at times but other than that it was a cool film. Unlike others I enjoyed the suspense built by not having Godzilla appear until a bit later.

Bad Neighbours was ok. It was nowhere near as funny as I thought it would be but it was still fairly enjoyable. Most of the best jokes were shown in the trailers.

Is Noah a blockbuster? If we're counting it then I would say it was quite good. Been a while since we had one of these biblical epics so it was definitely interesting to see a modern version of the genre.

Best so far is Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. I love all the Planet of the Apes films (excluding the awful remake) so I knew I would like this one. There was more of a focus on action on this one, but there was still the human element too. The CGI was amazing and so were the performances (Serkis especially who I never realised was so good). Better than Rise of the Planet of the Apes.

The one I was looking forward to seeing the most was Guardians of the Galaxy. But after seeing a new trailer at the cinema the other day I have been put off a bit. I'm just a bit worried it will have a lot of cheesy humour. A bit is ok but I just hope it doesn't have as much as the Avengers (which I did love at first, but after rewatching I now only "like" it)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VladThe1mpaler)
    Amazing Spider-Man 2 was awful. Forgettable action sequences, poor script and the plot was just a mess. The CGI also made me think I was watching a cartoon at times. I was hoping it would be the end of the series since it didn't make a huge amount of cash but unfortunately Sony seem intent on continuing with the films until no one can ever stand seeing a spider-man film again.
    I think that's a bit harsh on Amazing Spider-Man 2. It was overstuffed with villains (all thanks to Sonys desire to make Sinister Six and Venom) but I though the action sequences were impressive and what really saves it is the chemistry between Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone.

I'm quite looking forward to The Amazing Spider-Man 3 and 4.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukip72)
    I think that's a bit harsh on Amazing Spider-Man 2. It was overstuffed with villains (all thanks to Sonys desire to make Sinister Six and Venom) but I though the action sequences were impressive and what really saves it is the chemistry between Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone.

I'm quite looking forward to The Amazing Spider-Man 3 and 4.
    It was just used to advertise Sony products, including the future Spider-Man films. That's not a big deal in itself, but when it isn't entertaining it makes it the worst kind of film imaginable.

The teen twilight-esque romance took up way too much of the film. That, along with the boring story about his parents (which has very little to do with the actual plot of the film), meant there was no time for character development or even decent action sequences.

Oh and I forgot to mention the awful soundtrack in my original post.

ReputationRep:
    It was just used to advertise Sony products, including the future Spider-Man films. That's not a big deal in itself, but when it isn't entertaining it makes it the worst kind of film imaginable.

The teen twilight-esque romance took up way too much of the film. That, along with the boring story about his parents (which has very little to do with the actual plot of the film), meant there was no time for character development or even decent action sequences.

Oh and I forgot to mention the awful soundtrack in my original post.
    Ah well, everyone has their own opinion I suppose, though it is rather insulting to be comparing it to Twilight. I'm a massive Sony fan so the product placement didn't bother me in the slightest (typing this on my Sony laptop )

ReputationRep:
    Ah well, everyone has their own opinion I suppose, though it is rather insulting to be comparing it to Twilight. I'm a massive Sony fan so the product placement didn't bother me in the slightest (typing this on my Sony laptop )
    The quality of the film overall is far greater than Twilight, it's just the teen romance which I personally don't enjoy. Mary-Jane was just a damsel-in-distress in the original Spider-Man films so that meant there wasn't a huge amount of relationship BS. When I'm going to see a superhero film I really don't want it to focus on relationships.

ReputationRep:
    The quality of the film overall is far greater than Twilight, it's just the teen romance which I personally don't enjoy. Mary-Jane was just a damsel-in-distress in the original Spider-Man films so that meant there wasn't a huge amount of relationship BS. When I'm going to see a superhero film I really don't want it to focus on relationships.
    Didn't like the original Spider-Man series. (Although I've not seen Spider-Man 3). I find Tobey Maguire really unlikeable for some reason.

ReputationRep:
    Didn't like the original Spider-Man series. (Although I've not seen Spider-Man 3). I find Tobey Maguire really unlikeable for some reason.
    The first 2 are brilliant. I don't find him unlikeable, I think he is a great Peter Parker.

ReputationRep:
    The Mockingjay Part 1 teaser trailer is up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzcYyzCZdiM

ReputationRep:
    Sure, I've seen a few more than what I posted before:

Noah 8.5/10
    The Amazing Spider-Man 2 8/10
    22 Jump Street 8/10
    Bad Neighbours 7.5/10
    Dawn of the Planet of the Apes 7.5/10
    Non-Stop 7/10
    Godzilla 3/10

It's not a blockbuster but the best film of the year so far is Boyhood IMHO.
    Non-stop was pretty poor. A good first half then you're wondering where the meat of the film went, when it would up the ante, but then it just finishes with a predictable, unimaginative ending. Watch Passenger 57 instead.

Spider Man wasn't great either. Electro was as 2 dimensional a character you'll ever see. The romance was a little too central - it's a super hero movie for God's sakes and the action felt secondary to the drama. What? Someone took their eye off the ball. 6.5/10

I wish Edge of Tomorrow had done better. It's still my second favourite film of the year behind Raid 2. Guardians of The Galaxy was pretty good. I hope it makes lots of cash and they expand the universe, have more western/cowboys in space/lawless elements and just make it an adventurous film. They need to let it loose. The other franchises have become stale (Thor, Iron Man ...even Avengers to an extent) and predictable.

ReputationRep:
    Only one I've really been looking forward to is Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes. Hopefully get around to seeing it next week sometime.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)
    Non-stop was pretty poor. A good first half then you're wondering where the meat of the film went, when it would up the ante, but then it just finishes with a predictable, unimaginative ending. Watch Passenger 57 instead.

Spider Man wasn't great either. Electro was as 2 dimensional a character you'll ever see. The romance was a little too central - it's a super hero movie for God's sakes and the action felt secondary to the drama. What? Someone took their eye off the ball. 6.5/10

I wish Edge of Tomorrow had done better. It's still my second favourite film of the year behind Raid 2. Guardians of The Galaxy was pretty good. I hope it makes lots of cash and they expand the universe, have more western/cowboys in space/lawless elements and just make it an adventurous film. They need to let it loose. The other franchises have become stale (Thor, Iron Man ...even Avengers to an extent) and predictable.
    I agree the ending to Non Stop was poor but that wasn't enough to spoil was was a pretty exciting rest of the film IMO.

We obviously have different taste in film since I will end up seeing Edge of Tomorrow, Raid 2 and Guardians but they were not films I was particularly looking forward to for this year.

ReputationRep:
    I agree the ending to Non Stop was poor but that wasn't enough to spoil was was a pretty exciting rest of the film IMO.

We obviously have different taste in film since I will end up seeing Edge of Tomorrow, Raid 2 and Guardians but they were not films I was particularly looking forward to for this year.
    It's like Matrix and District 9 meet Groundhog day. It's funny too. Tom Cruise's best performance in a decade in my opinion-- he pokes a little fun at himself like Tropic Thunder. Well worth a watch if you mildly like him.

ReputationRep:
    It's like Matrix and District 9 meet Groundhog day. It's funny too. Tom Cruise's best performance in a decade in my opinion-- he pokes a little fun at himself like Tropic Thunder. Well worth a watch if you mildly like him.
    I don't mind Tom Cruise, Jerry Maguire and Rain Man were good.

ReputationRep:
    Guardians of the Galaxy is incredible; definite winner.

ReputationRep:
    I wish Edge of Tomorrow had done better. It's still my second favourite film of the year behind Raid 2.
    The Raid 2 is my top film of 2014 too so think I'll check out Edge of Tomorrow.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 3, 2014
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.