The Student Room Group

Tesco workers refuse to sell Ham & Wine during Ramadan

Scroll to see replies

Original post by orange crush
Absolutely. I'm pretty sure this person wasn't the only till operator in the supermarket.

No it wouldn't be ok. Till operators are there to help people buy the products in the store. If you have a problem with what is being sold, don't work there
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by TheAnusFiles
No it wouldn't be ok. Till operators are there to help people buy the products in the store. If you have a problem with what is being sold, don't work there

I'm not a muslim.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by nohomo
They should stop selling ham in general.

Why?
I'm not necessarily saying that the till operator was in the right, but that just that the woman is a **** for complaining about it.

Wouldn't have been difficult to change tills or go to self-service.

If I was his boss I'd have a quiet word with him, perhaps if he felt really strongly about it then I'd move him to trolley-duty or something for a bit so he wouldn't have to directly serve customers. If he gets his walking papers for this then it's a sad day for society.

She's not a "****" at all. If I go to the till with a basket full of shopping and the cashier refuses to serve me for reasons as ridiculous as his religion then of course I'm going to complain.
If you knowingly have ANY reason why you cannot sell ham or wine to a customer then you shouldn't be in a job that requires you to sell ham or wine. End of.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 24
Why?

Inhumane to the piggies

I'm assuming you also have a problem with underage members of staff then? After all if you put alcohol through their till then they need to call a supervisor for authorisation
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 26
I'm not necessarily saying that the till operator was in the right, but that just that the woman is a c*nt for complaining about it.

Wouldn't have been difficult to change tills or go to self-service.

If I was his boss I'd have a quiet word with him, perhaps if he felt really strongly about it then I'd move him to trolley-duty or something for a bit so he wouldn't have to directly serve customers. If he gets his walking papers for this then it's a sad day for society.

If he gets his walking papers for this it's a productive day for society. People that actually do their job will be doing the jobs.
If the woman hadn't complained **** all would have been done.
I'm assuming you also have a problem with underage members of staff then? After all if you put alcohol through their till then they need to call a supervisor for authorisation

No because that is a legal issue. If a non-Muslim wouldn't sell me alcohol for personal reasons either, I'd still complain. If you can't do the job, then get a different one.
Original post by MJ1012
If he gets his walking papers for this it's a productive day for society. People that actually do their job will be doing the jobs.
If the woman hadn't complained **** all would have been done.

I don't like Islam or any religion but I also don't like complainers. You see my issue?
He should be sacked, if we went over to the country he's originally from and tried doing something like this, we would be sacked straight away.
Original post by Snagprophet
So how are Muslims supposed to buy food during the day if they're, by this guy's logic, not supposed to handle it?

Epix facepalm :facepalm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Personally I think newspapers should be writing about things that hold more relevance.
Original post by QuantumSuicide

Well what was his reasoning for not working?
No because that is a legal issue. If a non-Muslim wouldn't sell me alcohol for personal reasons either, I'd still complain. If you can't do the job, then get a different one.

Look you're probably right but I've worked in a shop for nearly 4 years and the public is generally full of disgusting human beings that look down on shop assistants as prostitutes. Seriously read the article I provided.

Original post by Joshale
He should be sacked, if we went over to the country he's originally from and tried doing something like this, we would be publicly stone straight away.

ftfy :tongue:
Reply 34
I don't like Islam or any religion but I also don't like complainers. You see my issue?

No. There's nothing wrong with complaining if you're being mistreated. It's productive to society. It's not like the guy accidently dropped something or gave her the wrong change, he refused to do his job.
The issue is with neither the customer nor the guy serving at the checkout. The woman wishing to purchase items should be able to do so without any hassle, obviously. However, to all the people expecting the guy serving to just disregard his closely held beliefs for some **** wage are somewhat delusional at best. What you all seem to be claiming is that for the job he does, the fact he gets paid and works there means he essentially forfeits his closely held beliefs and casts them aside like some cheap hooker. For what? Minimum wage? haha.

The issue is with the supervisor on shift. It is their job to anticipate any issues that may arise on shift, and to ensure things run smoothly. They are paid to cater for and meet the needs of both the customer and the employee; ensuring a smoothly run shifts with no hinks. Assuming the employee makes his particular situation known, it is entirely down to the supervisor to make sure that the employee's doing their job are capable of doing just that. Just my tuppence
(edited 9 years ago)
Wait....Ham/Wine aren't allowed to be consumed by Muslims regardless, so why is it right now during Ramadan that he can't serve her? Could he last month? Also he says he can't because he's fasting...but he can sell food? I mean if I bought a sausage roll (I want to see if he'll notice its pork) I guess he couldn't serve me because I may also be planning to eat it during the day? Can I buy a beef pattie if I casually mention I plan to unwrap and eat it as soon as I've paid for it, cos I'm well hungry?

He should just serve her the damn haram goods. He's allowing sin when he does so outside of Ramadan, so it seems pointless to be petty about it now, he;s touching plastic/glass, not the product itself. If he really feels so bad about it, can't he just grin and bear it, then remind himself those dirty kafir will get their comeuppance after death when they'll be tortured for all eternity by his all merciful deity, every cloud has a silver lining and all that?
Original post by Reece Sure
The issue is with neither the customer nor the guy serving at the checkout. The woman wishing to purchase items should be able to do so without any hassle, obviously. However, to all the people expecting the guy serving to just disregard his closely held beliefs for some sh*t wage are somewhat delusional at best. What you all seem to be claiming is that for the job he does, the fact he gets paid and works there means he essentially forfeits his closely held beliefs and casts them aside like some cheap hooker. For what? Minimum wage? haha.

The issue is with the supervisor on shift. It is their job to anticipate any issues that may arise on shift, and to ensure things run smoothly. They are paid to cater for and meet the needs of both the customer and the employee; ensuring a smoothly run shifts with no hinks. Assuming the employee makes his particular situation known, it is entirely down to the supervisor to make sure that the employee's doing their job are capable of doing just that. Just my tuppence

Yes. Best post in the thread. Thanks for putting it in much nicer words than me :smile:
Original post by Reece Sure
The issue is with neither the customer nor the guy serving at the checkout. The woman wishing to purchase items should be able to do so without any hassle, obviously. However, to all the people expecting the guy serving to just disregard his closely held beliefs for some **** wage are somewhat delusional at best. What you all seem to be claiming is that for the job he does, the fact he gets paid and works there means he essentially forfeits his closely held beliefs and casts them aside like some cheap hooker. For what? Minimum wage? haha.

If you're in employment and have signed a contract to carry out a job then you leave your personal prejudices/opinions/religion at the door. It is unacceptable that a customer should be inconvenienced because you don't feel like carrying out your duties.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Snagprophet
Well what was his reasoning for not working?

Well, it's haram for muslims to help people consume ham/wine. I don't know if this is the first time the guy refused to serve the items but he could very well be what we call a "ramadan muslim". It seems like you think that muslims are forbidden to even touch food whilst fasting. Of course they're allowed to buy food..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending