TSR Movie Madness: Group H SF2: Finding Nemo v Toy Story 3 Watch

• View Poll Results: Group H Semi Final 2
    Finding Nemo
    54.55%
    Toy Story 3
    45.45%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hal.E.Lujah)
    I've written essays on both these films. When you spend hours upon hours fretting over minute details of something for weeks, or months, you often come to loathe them.

Both of these films held up past that and I love them both still. I feel Finding Nemo is the better film, both technically and stylistically, and handed my vote there.

Something I'd ask anyone who is undecided to do would be to think about the films in a new light for a moment. Toy Story is a film exploring the American identity, caught between Western cinema and Sci Fi cinema. The difficulties in resolving your dreams with your place in the real world. It's a fantastic film.

I'd say Nemo was more fantastic. It's a film exploring an entire cast of disabled or traumatised characters. That has never been done. Ever. Animation or no, it's a film that comfortably challenges traditional roles about only heterosexual cisgender white men being disabled, but the potential for a resolution not through an individual but in reliance on community. The characters are the modern Odysseus, and the sea is just a bit deeper than the toy box.
    I'd say One Flew Over Cuckoo's Nest explores an entire cast of disabled or traumatised characters. That was just one example that occurred to me, and that was 20(?) years before Nemo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unprinted)
    3 - Toy Story
    9 - A Bug's Life
    1 - Toy Story 2
    4 - Monsters, Inc.
    7 - Finding Nemo
    2 - The Incredibles
    12 - Cars
    5 - Ratatouille
    11 - WALL-E
    10 - Up
    8 - Toy Story 3
    ? - Cars 2 - given how I rate Cars, I haven't bothered to see it
    ? - Brave - yet to see
    6 - Monsters University
    I would have Incredibles at #1, Toy Story 1 & 2 tied for second, with Finding Nemo and A Bug's Life tied for fourth. The rest, including the overrated Toy Story 3, we're meh.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely Toy Story 3! I enjoyed Finding Nemo, but nowhere near as much as I enjoyed the Toy Story movies, especially Toy Story 3!
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zappaisgod)
    I'd say One Flew Over Cuckoo's Nest explores an entire cast of disabled or traumatised characters. That was just one example that occurred to me, and that was 20(?) years before Nemo.

It doesn't, it goes to great pains to make it clear the protagonist isn't disabled, and by interacting the disabled persons with society (first with Nicholson) they can be integrated.

ReputationRep:
    63 votes cast and only 5 votes in it between the two films. Nemo has a small lead for now though!

ReputationRep:
    I watched Toy Story 3 in the cinema just before I started university, and watched it with my parents... My mum was a total mess afterwards :lol:

Finding Nemo is a fantastic movie, but it doesn't invoke the same memories or emotions that Toy Story 3 did

ReputationRep:
    Have actually seen both this time and it's an easy victory for Toy Story 3 for me.

ReputationRep:
    Over 70 votes cast now and less than 4 votes between them.

(Original post by Architecture-er)
    I watched Toy Story 3 in the cinema just before I started university, and watched it with my parents... My mum was a total mess afterwards :lol:

Finding Nemo is a fantastic movie, but it doesn't invoke the same memories or emotions that Toy Story 3 did
    TS3 was a bit sad in places but you dismiss the emotions of Nemo? His son gets kidnapped and taken thousands of miles away and he fights to find him and you don't get emotional when he's found?

(Original post by ukip72)
    Have actually seen both this time and it's an easy victory for Toy Story 3 for me.

An EASY victory for toy story? Why so?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Motorbiker)

TS3 was a bit sad in places but you dismiss the emotions of Nemo? His son gets kidnapped and taken thousands of miles away and he fights to find him and you don't get emotional when he's found?

An EASY victory for toy story? Why so?
    I just didn't enjoy Finding Nemo all that much, which is pretty standard for me with animation. The only exceptions are the Toy Story trilogy and The Lion King, those are great films.

ReputationRep:
    It has to be TS3, watching TS1&2 when they were first out as kids and then TS3 being released during my late teens it was so easy to relate to the film and was so emotional:cry:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukip72)
    I just didn't enjoy Finding Nemo all that much, which is pretty standard for me with animation. The only exceptions are the Toy Story trilogy and The Lion King, those are great films.

Fair enough, you went Lion King over in the other poll then i assume?

Nemo has extended it's lead. Up to over 80 votes cast now and a 7 vote difference.

ReputationRep:
    Finding Nemo all the way!

:love:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamJam87)
    Finding Nemo all the way!

:love:

Good choice.

As a quick survey question.
    How did you find out about movie madness/get here?
    Homepage pod, New on TSr widget or other?

And if it was through the pod did the picture of Nemo there influence your decision?

ReputationRep:
    Good choice.

As a quick survey question.
    How did you find out about movie madness/get here?
    Homepage pod, New on TSr widget or other?

And if it was through the pod did the picture of Nemo there influence your decision?
    errrrr i clicked on the homepage thingy scrolled down and saw nemo vs ts3 and was like pfft

as if they can even compare Nemo to TS3

dont get me wrong i love TS3 too but like Nemo! :love:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamJam87)
    errrrr i clicked on the homepage thingy scrolled down and saw nemo vs ts3 and was like pfft

as if they can even compare Nemo to TS3

dont get me wrong i love TS3 too but like Nemo! :love:
    Awesome! :five: Thanks.

Have you voted in/commented on any of the others?

Also, be sure to check back monday since new polls will be up from monday to Weds!

ReputationRep:
    If it had been either of the first two 'Toy Story's I wouldn't have been able to vote because my childhood vs my teenage sense of humour would completely murder my identity, but let's face it Toy Story 3 is absolute tack.

ReputationRep:
    Awesome! :five: Thanks.

Have you voted in/commented on any of the others?

Also, be sure to check back monday since new polls will be up from monday to Weds!

no i havent!

ok! will check !

ReputationRep:

It's not relatable to most people, very few have lost a child and found it again, plus they're fish. Plus according to Biology the dad should've changed gender into a female, and had sex with Nemo, so y'know :p:

Toy Story is all about growing up, leaving the familiar and beloved behind in pursuit of a new chapter in life, which is something that everyone can relate to, and fondly remember their own childhood toys

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Architecture-er)
    It's not relatable to most people, very few have lost a child and found it again, plus they're fish. Plus according to Biology the dad should've changed gender into a female, and had sex with Nemo, so y'know :p:

Toy Story is all about growing up, leaving the familiar and beloved behind in pursuit of a new chapter in life, which is something that everyone can relate to, and fondly remember their own childhood toys
    Fair enough. Especially current uni student since we grew up with TS1/2 and then were Andy's age roughly for TS3 when he was getting rid of childhood toys.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 20, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.