Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Empire Odyssey)
    How old are you?

Are you planning to do this at college?
    19 and yes. I have been accepted to study English A level, I am just in doubt whether my grammar and writing skills will be equal of an A
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Troytheboy)
    19 and yes. I have been accepted to study English A level, I am just in doubt whether my grammar and writing skills will be equal of an A
    Well, I think it's a bit unrealistic to say you will get an A without saying it. I got a B at GCSE English and I am predicted an A for A-level English Language. So it's not impossible. But you have to work hard, every hard. Also, if you lack confidence now, that might become a barrier for you at A-level, which then would make A-level English hard(er) for you. You must pick A-levels you feel confident in, esp in English as you get terribly marked on HOW you write.

Having said that, you can obviously pick A-level, and tell your teacher in confidence I'm sure s/he would help you, it's their job to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Empire Odyssey)
    Well, I think it's a bit unrealistic to say you will get an A without saying it. I got a B at GCSE English and I am predicted an A for A-level English Language. So it's not impossible. But you have to work hard, every hard. Also, if you lack confidence now, that might become a barrier for you at A-level, which then would make A-level English hard(er) for you. You must pick A-levels you feel confident in, esp in English as you get terribly marked on HOW you write.

Having said that, you can obviously pick A-level, and tell your teacher in confidence I'm sure s/he would help you, it's their job to.

I have bought a book which teaches English grammar from the fundaments of English to the advance, and have started to practice my writing. So, hopefully, I should be fine during my A levels. I have also started practising some of the techniques that the previous commenters commented.

I suppose if the A level got overwhelming then I could drop it, as I have 3 others alongside, the reason I chose English A level was being I wanted to improve or excel my English writing skills and I also enjoy the subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dynamo123)
    I was only giving an example. When you are asked to write, and you cannot think about anything to write, then instead of leaving an empty sheet, you can write over and over again: "I can't write anything" until an idea hits you.

I've done this sort of thing in class. It seems a very pointless technique at first, but it can help some individuals. We were doing poetry ( in this poem we had to start every line with "I know" ) and since I was stuck, I just stated the obvious - I can't remember it word for word, but something like this:

I know that I'm stuck

I know that I don't know

I know that this room is warm

I know that I'm doodling on my paper

I know that I'm stuck

Somehow, I thought of a way to extend one of these lines and in the end it turned out to be a not-so-bad poem!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by sophie !)
    I've done this sort of thing in class. It seems a very pointless technique at first, but it can help some individuals. We were doing poetry ( in this poem we had to start every line with "I know" ) and since I was stuck, I just stated the obvious - I can't remember it word for word, but something like this:

I know that I'm stuck

I know that I don't know

I know that this room is warm

I know that I'm doodling on my paper

I know that I'm stuck

Somehow, I thought of a way to extend one of these lines and in the end it turned out to be a not-so-bad poem!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's good!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dynamo123)
    That's good!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.