Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

M268 - Motion on the Knight's Hill By-election Watch

ReputationRep:
    This might also be an indication that we need to make sure all candidates are aware of this requirement before standing.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure this was an innocent mistake ('innocent' here meaning, I assume she knew she was in the wrong, but no harm done aside from the £10,000 price tag). Even so, this isn't the taxpayer's fault.

Aye
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    It seems very negligent for a council employee to fail to declare any conflicts of interest.
    Therefore, it seems only fair the individual is liable for any costs this by-election creates.

ReputationRep:
    Abstain. How can we blame this on Labour? Maybe she was deliberate enough to conceal her employment status. Further investigation is necessary to decide whether she should pay all the 10k or some of it, the rest to be paid by the party.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arminb)
    Abstain. How can we blame this on Labour? Maybe she was deliberate enough to conceal her employment status. Further investigation is necessary to decide whether she should pay all the 10k or some of it, the rest to be paid by the party.
    If this was an honest mistake (as I firmly believe it was - there's no real benefit from this crime, it was a technicality) then she didn't mislead Labour but instead the Party neglected to check the rules so to speak. She'll still be Labour's candidate in the by-election so clearly the party don't think she deceived them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    If this was an honest mistake (as I firmly believe it was - there's no real benefit from this crime, it was a technicality) then she didn't mislead Labour but instead the Party neglected to check the rules so to speak. She'll still be Labour's candidate in the by-election so clearly the party don't think she deceived them.
    But she still needs to pay some of that money. Why did she join the party if she knew she wasn't allowed to? Even if she didn't know this still doesn't lift the blame. She had a duty to check if she's eligible. So did the party administration, of course.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arminb)
    But she still needs to pay some of that money. Why did she join the party if she knew she wasn't allowed to? Even if she didn't know this still doesn't lift the blame. She had a duty to check if she's eligible. So did the party administration, of course.
    Well that's obviously a small disagreement. It boils down to the fact that I think its the Party's responsibility and you may think it is her own. After all she was eligible to join the party but the party weren't allowed to make her their candidate.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    This is in cessation.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    New Labour was doing fine controlling the deficit until the banking crisis. Bailing out those banks was controversial but ultimately necessary to prevent an even greater calamity. Imo, its the banks who owe us for that one.

^Graph showing national debt.
    Ignoring the fact that it's not relevant to your OP, that is debt and not the fiscal deficit.

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    With regards to the motion, i abstain. I'm sure the electoral commission has procedures in place.

(Original post by toronto353)
    This is in cessation.
    Apologies, did not read that until page 2.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    With regards to the motion, i abstain. I'm sure the electoral commission has procedures in place.

Apologies, did not read that until page 2.
    Drat, I should have locked this.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 27, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.