Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    This is just my general opinion on learning any language.

It depends how much you like the culture, because if you aren't actually interested in Japanese literature, music, television, films or culture generally then not only will your progression be much slower(increasing exposure to a language increases proficiency and develops communication skills, it also lets you learn more about the customs of the culture), it also won't serve any purpose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KhanNab)
    Think of all the RAW mangas and animés you could read/watch!!!!!!!!!!!

One of the main reasons why I'm teaching myself Japanese. So far know.just the basic greeting and slowing learning the alphabets. My dream is meet some of my fave manga writers. Oda sensi being one xD maybe even work for em ;P
    (Original post by brownsugar-xx)
    oh my god that's such a good reason, never even considered that
    I know right Japanese is.such a intresting lang. Anime and.manga alone makes.it worth it!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phillip.Rudkin)
    I'm actually wanting to go to Manchester university too haha! It's my firm choice! I've had a go now and I think it's really fun and interesting, even the hard parts, I'm not far in, the hardest part was getting on with the hiragana, but I quite like the Kanji for some reason :P What's the course at Manchester like? Like whats' the split like between the two? Just wanted to ask because you do the course that I want to do and at the university I want to go to
    I already wrote quite a few posts about the course in various threads about Japanese studies so if you go trough them I'm sure you'll find some useful info feel free to PM me if you have any question! I can send you the programme regulations and stuff like that if you want.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bambirina)
    I already wrote quite a few posts about the course in various threads about Japanese studies so if you go trough them I'm sure you'll find some useful info feel free to PM me if you have any question! I can send you the programme regulations and stuff like that if you want.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Aww thanks! Yeah could you send me the programme regulations and stuff like that to me please? It'd be a great help.

ReputationRep:
    If you're not seriously considering living in Japan, don't bother. Ditto any other language.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.