Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Lavender lifts some stuff up Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LavenderBlueSky88)
    Day 4 SL

Squat 5x5 52.5kg
    OHP 5x5 15kg
    Deadlift 1x5 55kg

Ive noticed I have a slightly lopsided posture during squats. One of my feet turns out more than the other and is placed slightly more forward than the other too. I try to rectify it but it feels most comfortable this way. I'm not sure if it's going to be a hindrance or whether it just because I have strange hips (had a lot of problems with them when I was younger due to my legs rotating outwards too much). I'm considering going to a lower weight and trying to stop this habit but I think it might do more harm than good.
    is the floor where you squat in your gym even?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AreebWithaHat)
    is the floor where you squat in your gym even?
    I'd say so... I've noticed it before aswell at other gyms. I had some sort of hip dysplasia when I was a baby and they said it could affect the way my feet and legs turn out, so I'm guessing it's just the way I am!

ReputationRep:
    Day 5 SL

(I know you're supposed to have a rest day in between but I won't be able to go to the gym now until Tuesday so I thought I'd go today)

Squat 5x5 52.5kg (I don't want to add weight until I've sorted my form out)

Row 5x5 20kg
    Bench 5x5 20kg

So all unchanged.

I'm getting a bit sick of my gym and it's lack of equipment. There's only one barbell that's always in use, so I have to use those little fixed bars which only up in 5kg increments (and the 25kg always seems to be in use). There also isn't a stand to use for bench press and there's no way I was going to try and bench anymore than 20kg without a stand or a spotter. As soon as my months memberships runs out I'm paying the extra and going back to my old gym.

ReputationRep:
    Bit crap today

Squat

2x5 50kg
    2x5 52.5kg
    3x3 55kg

Deadlift

1x5 60kg

OHP

4x5 20kg (managed 2 reps of the 5th set then my arms gave way)

ReputationRep:
    I did a random sort of routine on a "rest day" from my SL program.

Pull ups (assisted 27kg) 5x5
    Dips (assisted 27kg) 5x5
    Seated calf press 5x5 75kg
    Tricep cable pushdown 5x5 15kg
    Dumbell curls 3x5 8kg
    Good mornings 3x5 20kg
    Lunges 20 each leg 20kg

ReputationRep:
    Day 7 SL

Squat 3x5 52.5kg
    3x3 55kg (actually it was 56.5 because I accidently left an extra 1.25kg plate on one side and didn't notice, oops)

I cant seem to get past 3 reps with 55 before I'm exhausted. Trying to build my stamina up.

Row 5x5 20kg
    BP 5x5 (fake BP on the floor due to crappy gym) 20kg

Going to an actually half decent gym this weekend so will try and get up to 22.5kg bench and row, maybe even OHP.

ReputationRep:
    In for lifting things up and getting stronk

ReputationRep:
    Day 8 SL

Squat 55kg 5x5 (don't completely trust this because I was using some sort of 3D Smith machine)

OHP 20kg managed 5 reps for 2 sets then just a load of fails. Not sure what I'm doing wrong, I've been stuck on this weight for what seems like an eternity (or 3 sessions, whatever). I seem to be getting WORSE.

Deadlift 60kg 1x5 (realised last time I had been using a lighter barbell, making it more like 55kg)

Overall happy with squats but I am frustrated with my weak upper body.

ReputationRep:
    OHP is a lift everyone has slow progression on. I'd suggest deloading and/or switching to DBs or paused reps

Or try 5x3 then 4x4 then 3x5 then 5x5 as progression

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illusionz)
    OHP is a lift everyone has slow progression on. I'd suggest deloading and/or switching to DBs or paused reps

Or try 5x3 then 4x4 then 3x5 then 5x5 as progression
    Thanks for the tip. Nice to know it's not just because I'm a weakling!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the tip. Nice to know it's not just because I'm a weakling!
    Remember 17.5 --> 20 is like a 15% increase or so. Thats huge. Akin to adding 30kg to a 200kg deadlift overnight. Its a big jump. Hence lower reps for more sets might be an idea to try. If you failed 3 sessions in a row its time to try something different

ReputationRep:
    Day 9

Squat 3x5 55kg (have a sore muscle in my groin, didn't want to push it)

Row 3x5 25kg

Bench press 3x5 25kg

Glute Bridge/hip thrust 3x5 25kg

Dips 3x5 (23kg assistance)

Pull ups 3x5 (23kg assistance)

Just wasn't feeling it today hence doing 3 sets of everything instead of 5, hope I'm not getting ill
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Just wasn't feeling it today hence doing 3 sets of everything instead of 5, hope I'm not getting ill
    Maybe you're a bit overtrained. 5x5 is very demanding and you do seem to have been pushing it to failure a lot recently.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    Maybe you're a bit overtrained. 5x5 is very demanding and you do seem to have been pushing it to failure a lot recently.
    Yeah I probably need to chill out a bit, I can get quite impatient when I don't seem to be making progress and push myself too hard. I'll ease back for a few days and start afresh!
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I probably need to chill out a bit, I can get quite impatient when I don't seem to be making progress and push myself too hard. I'll ease back for a few days and start afresh!
    Consistency beats intensity. Don't worry too much if you have an off-day.

ReputationRep:
    Day 10

Squat 5x3 55kg
    3x3 57.5kg (Woohoo!)

Deadlift 1x5 62.5kg

OHP 5x5 15kg (dropped back down because struggling with 20kg)

Overall not too bad think my form was off for that set of deadlifts because my lower back is killing me now, I think I was rounding my back a bit too much. Silly me.

ReputationRep:
    Day 11.
    Started ANOTHER new gym today. Actually had access to some Olympic bars instead of the silly fixed bars.

Weighed myself and I'm 60.2kg, that's a 3kg increase since I started back lifting. I'd like to stay around this weight ideally.

Squat

3x5 57.5kg
    3x3 60kg *yaaay*

Bench

5x5 22.5kg (proper olympic bar)

Row

5x5 22.5kg (proper olympic bar)

Quite happy with that.

ReputationRep:
    Day 12

Squat 3x5 60kg

Happy with that, didn't try the next weight up because back was a little sore... Which should have been a warning sign not to continue with my routine...

OHP 5x5 15kg, easy

Deadlift.. I did a few warm up sets with 40, 50kg... And then loaded up to 60kg, I realised at this point my bar was blocking someone's path so stupidly tried to move it in a hurry.. And did something terrible to my back. Even more stupid still I continued and did 2 reps with 60kg until the pain was so bad I literally couldn't go on. Why was I so stupid?! I can hardly move now, I'm in so much pain..!

After that Deadlift fiasco I somehow managed 3x5 pull ups and 3x5 dips (assisted). Which probably didn't help.

So now I'm lying motionless because every move I make is agony. Fml.

ReputationRep:
    Ouch. Still out of action?

ReputationRep:
    My back is a lot better now, but fortunately I'm away this weekend so I can't go to the gym anyway.. Probably for the best, give me some time to recover properly!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.