Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    One Day.

So bad the tragedy made me laugh.
    • TSR Community Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    The Golden Compass seems to be the clear winner so far! Is it wrong that all these suggestions are making me want to watch the bad films?!

(Original post by nixonsjellybeans)
    The Hobbit's film adaptions have been a little errm... poetic to say the least. For crying out loud the primary antagonist isn't even in the book, bar a sentence. Radagast's portrayal was abysmal as well, as a respected wizard was turned into a stoner with giant rabbits.
    Totally agree - I don't understand how the Hobbit films have had such good reviews. They should never have made it a trilogy, but they also made it incredibly silly and the special effects that worked 10 years ago for Lord of the Rings just don't work any more. One of my favourite books, the films just aren't the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkbullets)
    My Sister's Keeper - I can't even deal with how awful that film was.

Ditto the Golden Compass too.
    They shouldn't have changed the ending in the film

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moonriver96)
    They shouldn't have changed the ending in the film
    The ending was my main complaint. However, I was also incredibly annoyed that the Julia/Campbell aspect wasn't included. I understand that films can't be 100% accurate to the book but about 10% of the scenes from the book were portrayed accurately in that film. I can't even talk about the cheesy montages complete with awful music choices.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    The Hobbit - in particular, the second one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I remember being totally distraught as a kid seeing the A Series of Unfortunate Events film. Really was nowhere near the prowess of the book series.

ReputationRep:
    For me it would have to be Phillip Pullman's Northern Lights. I LOVED the book, and couldn't wait to see The Golden Compass film.

Biggest disappointment ever.

ReputationRep:
    Also, My Sister's Keeper.

I actually watched the film first and thought it was pretty good. That was until I read the book, and realised how much stuff they had altered, completely changed or just taken out altogether....

ReputationRep:
    "John Dies at The End", such a funny, dark, twisted and complicated story, yet the film destroyed it into 2 hours of boyish stupidity with dumb loud leading characters.

ReputationRep:
    Eragon was just... no.
    Cloud Atlas was fun enough to watch but it missed all of the subtlety of the book's message and so will always remind me why some books should just never be turned into films.

ReputationRep:
    Has to be World War Z for me. The film itself wasn't terrible by any means, but the big problem was of course the fact that the film was completely and utterly different from the book. I understand changes will always be made for adaptations, but this wasn't just a few changes here and there, not even just a major story change, there was absolutely nothing bar one or 2 tiny details (like Israel being one of the only countries to actually properly manage the outbreak) it shared with the book, if you took away the film's title you would have absolutely no idea it was based on the book which it does actually have the nerve to say it is at the start of the film and needless to say the author wasn't best pleased. Such a shame, there some fantastic parts of the book that would have been stunning on the big screen and I really hope one day they can properly adapt it to TV or film and do it in a flashback style docu drama, I doubt Hollywood would do something like that, but maybe one day someone would do it for a TV drama or something. Unlikely though.

ReputationRep:
    The Hunger Games.

They missed out so many important details :mad: I couldn't bring myself to watch the second one...

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion, matilda was an amazing film but the book was pants.

ReputationRep:
    Like most of you I'll go with the Northern Lights/Golden Compass. The 'His Dark Materials' Books had the potential to be an epic trilogy of films and got totally destroyed. Same with The Dark is Rising, excellent books, lots of drama, could have been great films but no the one they did make was terrible.

Also the third Harry Potter Film- Prisoner of Askaban was my favourite HP book but the film didn't reflect the book at all- it was a lot darker.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nehemia)
    The Hunger Games.

They missed out so many important details :mad: I couldn't bring myself to watch the second one...
    The Hunger Games book was even worse than the film imo.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I remember liking The Chronicles of Narnia books but I can't sit through the films, I find them incredibly boring.

I agree with City of Bones, I love the book(s) but the film didn't do the story justice.

There's probably more that I can't think of...

ReputationRep:
    TMI:City of Bones

ReputationRep:
    Beautiful creatures, stormbreaker, city of bones. ..pretty much all of my favourite YA novels destroyed. I think the only exceptions are hunger games etc. Its was just so annoying the way they ended golden compass like the subtle knife was right around the corner. ..

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Jack)
    You take a good book that has been turned into a pants film... But which is the BEST book made into the WORST film?

If you had a good book in your left hand, and the bad film version in the right, which combo would result in the most outstretched arms?!!

Suggestions so far...

• The Northern Lights by Phillip Pullman >>> The Golden Compass
    • City of Bones by Cassandra Clare
    • The Lovely Bones
    • Percy Jackson
    • The Host by Stephanie Mayer
    • Eragon
    • My Sister's Keeper
    • The da Vinci Code
    • Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows and the 8th film..
    • Watchmen
    • The Hobbit
    • One Day
    Deffo agree with Eragon and The Northen Lights, purely because they changed the plot lines hugely and didn't make the sequels.
    The Hobbit is quite different from the book, however when you read into the lore Tolkien wrote after it was published it makes a lot more sense

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Jack)
    You take a good book that has been turned into a pants film... But which is the BEST book made into the WORST film?

If you had a good book in your left hand, and the bad film version in the right, which combo would result in the most outstretched arms?!!

Suggestions so far...

• The Northern Lights by Phillip Pullman >>> The Golden Compass
    • City of Bones by Cassandra Clare
    • The Lovely Bones
    • Percy Jackson
    • The Host by Stephanie Mayer
    • Eragon
    • My Sister's Keeper
    • The da Vinci Code
    • Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows and the 8th film..
    • Watchmen
    • The Hobbit
    • One Day
    Flowers in the attic. When I read the book I was amazed with it, I just fell in love with that book. And suddenly I saw the movie made in the 80's and I wanted to cry D: It was just HORRIBLE. The kids looked older than their parents, and they were totally different than how they were in the book. It was AWFUL:mad:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.