Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How much do you pay for your accommodation in the private sector? [POLL] Watch

• View Poll Results: How much does it cost you for the whole year? (including bills)
    less than £3000
    8.57%
    £3000 - £3500
    14.29%
    £3501 - £4000
    14.29%
    £4001 - £4500
    14.29%
    £4501 - £5000
    11.43%
    £5001 - £5500
    11.43%
    £5501 - £6000
    2.86%
    £6001 - £6500
    8.57%
    £6501 - £7000
    5.71%
    over £7000
    8.57%

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Next year I'll be paying 55 per week which is the most I'll have paid.

If I wanted somewhere nicer I could pay 70-90 per week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Next year I'll be paying 55 per week which is the most I'll have paid.

If I wanted somewhere nicer I could pay 70-90 per week.
    Wow that's even cheaper than mine and I thought I was cheap at 63.50p/w

Where about's is that?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ruffiio)
    Wow that's even cheaper than mine and I thought I was cheap at 63.50p/w

Where about's is that?
    Leeds, uni accommodation is over 110 so I certainly had no intention of paying that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by de_monies)
    Frigging cheap that is for Manchester! Also, when looking for houses, I also considered car insurance prices
    It was unusually cheap, though my rent is even cheaper in my new house - £2420 for 52 weeks My haggling skills have improved somewhat!

I've never considered car insurance though as I don't drive

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Origami Bullets)
    It was unusually cheap, though my rent is even cheaper in my new house - £2420 for 52 weeks My haggling skills have improved somewhat!

I've never considered car insurance though as I don't drive

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Tbf, when I did see cheaper prices, the car insurance went up astronomically, so it's getting that balance, but yeah I guess if you dont drive, you dont really need to consider that

In the north, it'snot uncommon to find a three bedroom terraced for £400/month

ie: £33/week/person

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kre)
    With bills it's about an extra £450 a year (water, electricity, gas, internet).

It isn't that cheap for shared accommodation in Reading. Most rents are around £320-£340 a week. Ours was £360 each.

Where are you staying?
    bristol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    Yeah I will have a small single, but if your prepared to live further away from the university you can get rooms cheaper.
    How far out from the uni campus was your accomodation?

ReputationRep:
    For a new build, 2 double bed en suite, fully furnished flat on the quayside shared with a friend next year we're looking at £3300 a year rent each and about £800 each in bills (contents insurance, tv license, gas electricity, water and cable/internet/phoneline)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fuzzybear)
    How far out from the uni campus was your accomodation?
    15 minute walk. Most people prefer to live a bus ride away though, I've never worked out why.

ReputationRep:
    £6875, bills included, thank god. (The sad thing is, that's still cheaper than my first year in halls - £7839)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reina)
    £6875, bills included, thank god. (The sad thing is, that's still cheaper than my first year in halls - £7839)

lol wtf, that's more expensive than max student finance support

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by de_monies)
    Tbf, when I did see cheaper prices, the car insurance went up astronomically, so it's getting that balance, but yeah I guess if you dont drive, you dont really need to consider that

In the north, it'snot uncommon to find a three bedroom terraced for £400/month

ie: £33/week/person
    WTF? My ROOM is £411 a month this year and I've seen rooms for easily £500.

This is why it's ridiculous everyone outside London gets the same loan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ruffiio)
    lol wtf, that's more expensive than max student finance support
    This is what happens when some genius decides to build a university in South Kensington

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmallTownGirl)
    WTF? My ROOM is £411 a month this year and I've seen rooms for easily £500.

This is why it's ridiculous everyone outside London gets the same loan.
    Sorry when I say north I mean a town that comes under the city of Bradford ie: House prices are a lot cheaper here

Though at the same time, car insurance is sky high here, so it all evens out - and many students do have cars. Many dont, but many do as well

Let's say when I came to the midlands I was in for a shock at the prices

ReputationRep:
    My 5 bed house in Bath (Oldfield Park) was £360 per month per person, but we didn't pay for or get July or August. Bills not included. I landed the only double bedroom because nobody else wanted a downstairs room. So during the night I basically got a bathroom all to myself. Nice place, maybe 2 minutes from the bus stop?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Contrad!ction.)
    My 5 bed house in Bath (Oldfield Park) was £360 per month per person, but we didn't pay for or get July or August. Bills not included. I landed the only double bedroom because nobody else wanted a downstairs room. So during the night I basically got a bathroom all to myself. Nice place, maybe 2 minutes from the bus stop?
    How much would you pay for bills per month? because £360 for rent is a pretty sweet deal. Not having to pay for rent in july and august is also great as well, but don't you have the hassle of moving all your stuff out each year?

ReputationRep:
    Thinking back, I wished I looked into the rent prices more when I was choosing unis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fuzzybear)
    How much would you pay for bills per month? because £360 for rent is a pretty sweet deal. Not having to pay for rent in july and august is also great as well, but don't you have the hassle of moving all your stuff out each year?
    Bills are relatively uniform across the country - you'll find much more variation based on individual usage patterns and whether or not people have switched suppliers than anything else. However, £10-15pppw is fairly average.

Yes, you most likely will end up moving annually, but this is just the nature of being a student really. That said, it's normal for letting agents to ask if you want to rent the house for another year before they start advertising it, which means that some avoid the hassle

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My flat costs me 3,420 - that's having it from september - june. My flatmate pays the same amount so it'll be worth 6840 in total.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kre)
    £4320 for 52 weeks in a 9 bedroom house in Reading (shared with 8 other people). A little on the steep side even in Reading but it's a premium to pay to live in such a big house!
    Enjoy repaying your loan you cretin !

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.