Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Did I get misdiagnosed with asthma? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy98)
    I did clearly say that I am no doctor...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Exactly. Leave the suggestions to the professionals.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy98)
    I'm no doctor, but I don't think it is asthma, sounds more like something like cystic fibrosis or diabetes. Cystic fibrosis the inhaler might help but diabetes is nothing to do with the lungs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Lol cystic fibrosis or diabetes.

Well that made me laugh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiggydiggy)
    Well, in those who are deemed to be high probability of asthma based on their symptoms, part of the diagnostic process is a trial of therapy and a later re-assessment of symptoms and improvement (or lack of).

Presumably your GP has arranged some sort of follow up to see how you've been getting on? Assuming you've been taking your medication properly, a lack of response usually buys you formal lung assessment which will provide an objective diagnosis. It sounds like you've seen some improvements in wheezing, which may mean a positive treatment response that may need a little more tweaking in terms of doses and meds.
    Yeah I went for an asthma review a few days back and the gp asked how many times I have to use the blue inhaler and I said 3 or maybe 4 times a week and he doubled the dose of my preventer inhaler from 50 to a 100 (real quick, hope you get the reference 😉 aha) . I've been taking my medication perfectly like never missed a dose. I only wheezed when I ate certain foods and this is after the lucozade thing, I hardly ever drank lucozade before and I had no wheezing but I really liked this flavour so after a week of having it daily I started wheezing constantly all day, then got prescribed the inhaler had a puff of the blue one and it went away however it comes back when I have lucozade-y things like a ice lolly etc

Now I had it before, same thing when I was a child and it was one incident where I had loads of ice lollies and wheezed so got these singular chewable tablets and Zyrtec and an inhaler if I really needed it, and the wheezing went away in a couple of weeks and never came back even if I had an ice lolly here and there.

I was thinking maybe I should stop the preventer inhaler go to my gp and get Zyrtec and singular prescribed and maybe it'll go away. I've never had a problem with sports or exercise

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=tania

Yeah I was sure i didn't have cystic fibrosis haha but yeah could be the case but hope not!

[SIZE=1]Posted from TSR Mobile[/SIZE]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heidigirl)
    Surely your GP didn't just prescribe you a steroid inhaler just like that on the basis of some recent wheezing? Did you have any other tests done? Did they ask you more at length about your symptoms?

Part of diagnosing asthma does include seeing how you respond to treatment but it should also include looking at the symptoms and pattern of symptoms (e.g. night coughing or highly variable peak flow readings day by day or at different times during the day can be typical of asthma).

[Although you really shouldn't worry; inhaled steroids tend to be well tolerated (i.e. few, if any, side affects) aside from an increased chance of oral thrush-and if you rinse or brush your teeth you should be fine].

As to whether it's possible for asthma to develop in a week, it depends what you mean by develop. Could you possibly have had lesser symptoms that you've just not really noticed as much before? My asthma seemed to pretty much start up in the space of a week or so when I started uni. I think it was the change in environment (suddenly living in a city as opposed to the countryside) plus some sort of viral infection that triggered it becoming really noticeable (I was waking up in the early hours every day because I felt like I couldn't breathe), but looking back I actually had had other signs since school-I'd just always written it off as other things. Mild asthma can go undiagnosed quite easily until it starts really bothering you or interfering with your daily life when it gets worse or you go through a period where you're exposed to a lot of unexpected triggers.

The fact that it's not affected by sports doesn't mean anything; there are obviously some very common triggers for asthma, exercise being one of them, but they won't affect everyone and people with asthma can have lots of different triggers and that can include things you've eaten and drinking. Also, that you still wheeze even on a preventer inhaler could just mean the dose isn't right (and it won't always get you wheeze free completely anyway; even people with well controlled asthma will usually need to use their reliever inhaler occasionally to control acute symptoms).

So yeah, none of the things you say can say it's not asthma, but equally it could be you're right and it's something else. But the best person to discuss that with is your doctor because nobody else can really guess for you.
    Yeah he checked my breathing and did that test where I have to blow in this thing and it gives you a reading, like I told whatever had happened and he was like you may have asthma and prescribed me stuff

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thegodofgod)
    OP, perhaps go and see your local pharmacist - they may be able to give you some good healthcare advice.
    Thanks I will

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 19, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.