Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why can't we do away with our bodies and simply exist as brains In jars ? Watch

ReputationRep:
    your brain is hardware and your mind is software, our brain is in control over each and every muscle and part of our bodies our body needs our brain with not the other way round. The main barrier here preventing us from doing so is disconnecting our brain and then reconnecting it. besides we don't have BCI (brain computer interface) sophisticated enough for it to be useful. Back to your question i would say not yet, but sooner or later we will need to live beyond the average human life span to be able to explore the universe. Hope i gave you some guidance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baldness)
    We can transplant Hearts, Lungs, Liver and grow human tissue on matrices etc. We can do open heart surgery and kidney dialysis.

As a means of extending life, what are the main reasons why we can't isolate the seat of human conciousness, the brain keep it alive without the rest of the body ?
    I'm not sure at all... But maybe it's because the brain needs something to control, so it can only exist with other organs... By itself is function is pretty useless... As in we think for a purpose, we send electrical impulses for a purpose... Our emotions are partly due to the amount of hormones in our bloodstream, but also due to other interactions we have with people, but we can't have these interactions with just a brain and not the whole lot...

ReputationRep:
    Surely it wouldn't work because you would have no eyes, ears etc so no information would be coming in. As well as not having to do the unconscious stuff like breathing, it would just turn into a cabbage because of the lack of activity, surely?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    i think several TSR members have already made this transition

:eek:
    My jar has full wifi connectivity.

ReputationRep:
    It's already been done. The Mi-go are experts at it. Give you a lift to Pluto as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baldness)
    We can transplant Hearts, Lungs, Liver and grow human tissue on matrices etc. We can do open heart surgery and kidney dialysis.

As a means of extending life, what are the main reasons why we can't isolate the seat of human conciousness, the brain keep it alive without the rest of the body ?
    And live the rest of your life conjuring up wonderful thoughts without ever putting them into practice.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.