Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kutie Karen)
    Hi,

I have seen that but it is not clear to me how long the walk would be from Thornaby station and if there is a bus option especially as I will have loads of stuff to bring with me. Do you know? Also, will they provide us with text books and stationary or shall I go and buy that and should we bring our own laptops?

Hello! It might take a while to walk, especially if you had a lot of stuff!

A taxi is the best option, it was really cheap as well, about £10

I'm at Stephenson too for 2014 entry, what are you studying?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kutie Karen)
    Hi,

I wonder if anyone can tell me the best way to get to Durham campus for this scheme from London . I won't have anyone dropping me off by car and I have to take all my stuff there as well. Can anyone give me the best options for me especially with all my things as well.

thanks
    Hello again, i'm gonna travel up there with my mum and i'm going from Haywards Heath, i'm not sure if you might fancy getting up there together if time's right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jay97)
    I am planning on applying to:
    1) KPMG School leavers programme
    2) Deloitte Scholar Scheme
    3) PwC Flying Start degree
    they all require aptitude tests such as verbal, numerical, SJT, E tray, etc... and just wanted to know what the best way to practice them would be? Ive heard that Greenturn and Assessment Day are frequently used?

thanks!
    I've just discovered these programmes! I'm from Scotland so the PWC programme isn't so appealing to me as I would end up with a large student loan! However the Deloitte scheme seems interesting! So does it matter what you study at uni? I want to study accounting and languages at uni so would that be a problem, does it have to just me accounting? Any help would be great! Thank you! 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KForshaw)
    I have an offer for the PwC Flying Start Degree at Newcastle (although i don't think I have gotten the grades to get in...but thats another story.)

This is by far the easiest route as it does not require testing as such. You apply, and if they like you, they will send you a kind of form to fill out, and then they decide again if they want to give you an interview. The interview is an hour long and either with someone from Newcastle Uni or PwC. Then there is a group assessment on the same day which is also an hour long. This is a standard type of group assessment where you are given a scenario and then you have to individually plan something then present to your little group and try and argue for your case (its not as hard as it sounds).

But basically, flying start is the easiest of the ones you listed, then i would say KPMG's testing is notoriously the hardest, but the Deloitte scholar scheme is probably the most competitive. My sister works for Deloitte and trust me, its a good place to be.
    Okay thank you. So do you just have to submit your application via UCAS and then they decide from there?
    And good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stirkee)
    i've got a place on the KPMG school leavers programme.

The SJT is really not worth practising for- its common sense.

As for verbal/numerical, KPMG sent me a few practice tests for each, and that's all I did; and I got in the 98th percentile for verbal and in the 92nd for maths (i.e. top 2% and 8%). For me, what they sent was enough, but for others I'm not sure I guess. Really all you need to practice is working quickly but accurately- the tests are marked with speed AND accuracy in mind- its better to answer only half of the questions but get every one that you do correct that answer every question but only get 1 more than half correct.

I'm sure there are some free online practice tests somewhere, I've heard that the ones you pay for are very hit and miss.
    Okay thank you and well done! I think I'm just going to do a few free online practices but otherwise I'll just wait until the practices they send.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emilyd1997)
    I've just discovered these programmes! I'm from Scotland so the PWC programme isn't so appealing to me as I would end up with a large student loan! However the Deloitte scheme seems interesting! So does it matter what you study at uni? I want to study accounting and languages at uni so would that be a problem, does it have to just me accounting? Any help would be great! Thank you! ������

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Fair enough haha! Well the deloitte scholar scheme consists of a 30 week placement with Deloitte and then funding for travelling or something like that. It's more of an experience opportunity I suppose for a gap year so it doesn't really depend on what you were to study. But I'd double check that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jay97)
    Okay thank you. So do you just have to submit your application via UCAS and then they decide from there?
    And good luck!
    For the flying start degree? Yeah, it acts as a normal course as far as ucas is concerned. Its course name is something like Business Accounting and Finance at newcastle. Also if you are rejected as far as i am aware they still consider you for the normal accounting and finance non PwC course.

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    For the flying start degree? Yeah, it acts as a normal course as far as ucas is concerned. Its course name is something like Business Accounting and Finance at newcastle. Also if you are rejected as far as i am aware they still consider you for the normal accounting and finance non PwC course.

Thank you!
    That's good then so it kind of is a normal uni application too! Did you do the KPMG school leaver application?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jay97)
    That's good then so it kind of is a normal uni application too! Did you do the KPMG school leaver application?
    Yep pretty much! Google newcastle flying start and they have plenty of info on the website. I think there are two other universities it is offered at too, Reading being one if I am correct!

And yes I did but sadly I panicked and completely messed up the one of the tests (which are extremely difficult in the first place, KPMG's are notoriously the hardest) so it didn't go very far haha!

ReputationRep:
    Yep pretty much! Google newcastle flying start and they have plenty of info on the website. I think there are two other universities it is offered at too, Reading being one if I am correct!

And yes I did but sadly I panicked and completely messed up the one of the tests (which are extremely difficult in the first place, KPMG's are notoriously the hardest) so it didn't go very far haha!
    Okay yeah will do. I think I am probably thinking of the Reading one but I'm guessing the application processes will be pretty similar if not the same.

And with KPMG everybody seems to be saying they are really hard too would you recommend doing practice test beforehand?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jay97)
    Fair enough haha! Well the deloitte scholar scheme consists of a 30 week placement with Deloitte and then funding for travelling or something like that. It's more of an experience opportunity I suppose for a gap year so it doesn't really depend on what you were to study. But I'd double check that!
    I'll e-mail them and ask them before I apply just in case! Thank you for your help! 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm on the PwC flying start degree at Newcastle, feel free to ask me any questions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chubbs)
    I'm on the PwC flying start degree at Newcastle, feel free to ask me any questions.
    What are the chances of getting in if you miss your grades? Results tomorrow and I'm extremely worried haha. Have an offer but think i might just miss the grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chubbs)
    Did you have to do any aptitude tests like numerical reasoning?
    When applying do you have to select the office location straight away?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jay97)
    Did you have to do any aptitude tests like numerical reasoning?
    When applying do you have to select the office location straight away?
    Im holding an offer so may as well answer you. There are no aptitude tests for this course. Simply an interview and a group interview on the same day. I guess the group interview is a sort of test because its a kind of exercise, but its not that bad.

Potentially one of the easiest routes into the big four if you're committed. Much easier than after you have graduated where competition is fierce and you have no choice but to take the tests.

And no you don't, they discuss that with you when you start the course as far as I am aware.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.