Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I don't understand why everyone hates Michael Gove? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 29Bilal96)
    Because he is a clown.
    Please have some consideration for the entertainment professions. Becoming a good clown takes years of training and hard work and is not a job earning £100k plus a year.

ReputationRep:
    He just ridiculed the teaching profession. I'm not a teacher or anything but when you guide how people do their jobs ridiculing their job is a ridiculous move which breeds resentment and anger. His other stupid moves have been highlighted already.

And people, people, people, coursework is actually a lot more like real work than exams in a lot of subjects. It has it's place. Your technology GCSE without coursework would be worthless, the Art exam is ridiculous... Rome wasn't built in a day. In English coursework assesses different skills than those assessed by the exams... can you put together a 1500 word paper on a literary piece or can you compare and contrast poems from other cultures in a time pressured environment? I know which one I'd put more weight in. I'd actually argue that exams particularly at GCSE are more about regurgitating knowledge and coursework because it can have extra depth is a better gauge of actual understanding.

ReputationRep:
    I think he had some sensible ideas, but also some poor ones.

I didn't really have much of a problem with him. Lots of people on this website will just dislike him because he was seen as trying to make the examination system more difficult.

ReputationRep:
    The are two things no-one has mentioned.

The first is term time holidays. That does not mean it is necessarily a bad policy (though I saw no reason for any change) but the way he went about it was picking a war with the electorate. Compare his attitude to this with other "hearts and minds" operations over the years such as drink-driving and the use of seat belts.

Secondly, and most of the press don't seem to have joined the dots yet, he had to go because of Birmingham. When the reshuffle took place the government will have had both reports. The Guardian which has got the leak of the report commissioned by Gove has it thus:-

The report’s author, Peter Clarke, calls for reform of “the process by which single schools are able to convert to academy status”. Not all the schools under the spotlight were academies. But the current process, endorsed by Gove, “happened too quickly”, writes Clarke, “and without a suitable system for holding the new academies accountable for financial and management issues”. Part of the attraction was their independence, or, as Gove argued, their ability to cast off the fetters of the blob and the dead hand of local political accountability. In practice, this left schools “vulnerable to those without good intentions”.
    Strip out the Guardian's triumphalism and it is clear that Morgan will have to announce some form of supervisory system from schools outside local authority control. She will lynched by those on her own side who don't give a damn about schools but do care about terrorism if she doesn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Munrot07)
    He has done some stupid things. The biggest thing that effect me was the removal of January exams. While as an idea that is fine and to be honest is welcome into the school system and linear exams is a good idea. He decided to implement it for year 12s and year 13s at the same time meaning year 13s such as myself who were used to January exams at AS suddenly and to work different to aim for only June exams. No January exams should have happened only for the year 12s and let the year 13s carry on with their system. Just like if you change the syllabus of the exam it effects the new year doing it...not the year who have already done it for a year.

Then there are other things that other people have said on here (changing the grade system when there is no need, scrapping most foreign authors from English literature). Gove is really set against vocational subjects or "easy" subjects. Not everyone is destined to be good at academic subjects, equally society would work with just academics we need vocational people. This isn't a question of intelligence but there are some people who are amazing at vocational jobs. Making them stay longer in full time education when they could be doing vocational jobs that they are good at and love is stupid.

In principle some of his ideas aren't awful (some are just plain stupid) but it was the way he executed them that was really idiotic.

Here is a few other stupid stuff he has done http://www.teachers.org.uk/files/10-...s-bad-8554.pdf
    Spot on! You hit the nail on the head

ReputationRep:
    Apart from being a pupil himself, the man has zero experience of education and has consistently dismissed the contributions of people who are qualified and experienced in the education sector.

He has attempted to turn the public against teachers, using the media as his tool when teachers strike. He wants to remove 'soft' subjects as it is an easy way to get votes, never mind the implications for thousands of teenagers who wanted careers in those areas. Not everybody wants to do STEM subjects/degrees and the world needs hairdressers, children's workers, people that work in media, etc.

Your post smacks of the "I'm fine so screw everybody else" mentality that I absolutely cannot stand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyle1198)
    I might have gotten the wrong message across. I never tried to say that we should all be academics and 'soft' subjects are 'useless'. I'm saying that courses like these are a waste of time because there are college courses you can take for hairdressing, and most people who want to be journalists will not get far with media studies - they prefer essay writing subjects.

I do think "soft" or "vocational" subjects like BTEC's or vocational college courses should be kept because we need vocational people in our society, but only if the students aren't wasting their time doing a qualification they aren't going to get much use of.

This is what its sounding like from people I hear from. No wonder they don't give a clear argument against Michael Gove's shake up

A couple of you pointed out the separation of AS and A2 levels. I can see how that puts more pressure on students, because, correct me if I'm wrong, you have to take both of them at the end of year 13
    (the current year 10's) which also poses a problem for universities because your AS results determine your place and without them they have to rely on your GCSEs which is not reliable.

Wouldn't a rational solution to this problem to have all year 12's take mock AS exams, have their teachers mark them, and universities could use them. I can see there would be some problems with that, such as 'mocks' might not be taken too seriously because, well, they're mocks, but on the other hand it might be taken serious because it would determine your university place. Teachers may be biased when marking but I'm sure if an examiner marks it, it would probably be very similar to the teacher's markings. I think it's worth a try anyway.

As far as more work for less pay and free schools are concerned, I'm not sure what to think because I can see why teachers would not like the idea of that. I would be really pissed off if I had to do that, and it might not benefit the students - it could 'overwork' them, but it could cover more material in less time, so it could be good in some ways.

Removing some of the teaching profession I think is quite inconsiderate. It means these teachers now will struggle to pay for bills, heating food etc. so this to me is making me think Gove is just thinking about money money and more money and our economy. Not the interests of people. I could be wrong.

Free schools could be a good idea - Katie Price's son Harvey's school is closing or was closed down. It was a special needs school as you would of course expect so schools like that is like the 4 leaf clover, so she, along with parents of special kids wanted to open a free school like that to cater for Harvey's and similar children's needs, so it could be beneficial in that respect.

Again, correct me if I'm wrong but I hear free schools don't need professional teachers, unqualified ones will do fine, I can see their point, but I'd imagine some may argue that it could damage their education, on the other hand some people have a natural talent to teach and so no qualification would be needed to prove that.

Also in many areas there are school place shortages, and free schools I imagine are designed to be 'local' and for 'disadvantaged' pupils, so free schools could fill the shortages. That being said, I don't see why the local authority shouldn't invest in creating new schools if there are shortages, I don't really see why there should be a separate school for disadvantaged pupils (though in Harvey's case maybe I can see) and apart from Harvey's case, I don't see why parents and teachers and not the authorities would want to open up a new school?

I'd love to hear further opinions

Btw sorry for being really lengthy... again! I'll try not to go overboard
    AS January exams were effectively 'mocks'. Some students do poorly in January exams but do better in June resits.

Scrapping January exams makes it much more harder for students. Jan exams allow them to know what level they're on and what they need to improve. June only exams don't give the student any chance at all of knowing what level they're on until it's too late. Some teachers aren't reliable also. They would tell you that you're an A grade student throughout the year, but you do exactly as you did in exams as you did in class yet come out with a D or C, so Jan exams are actually the real indicators of the grades you're on. I am speaking from experience and what others have experienced.The end of A level exams is absolutely ludicrous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wattsy)
    He just ridiculed the teaching profession. I'm not a teacher or anything but when you guide how people do their jobs ridiculing their job is a ridiculous move which breeds resentment and anger. His other stupid moves have been highlighted already.

And people, people, people, coursework is actually a lot more like real work than exams in a lot of subjects. It has it's place. Your technology GCSE without coursework would be worthless, the Art exam is ridiculous... Rome wasn't built in a day. In English coursework assesses different skills than those assessed by the exams... can you put together a 1500 word paper on a literary piece or can you compare and contrast poems from other cultures in a time pressured environment? I know which one I'd put more weight in. I'd actually argue that exams particularly at GCSE are more about regurgitating knowledge and coursework because it can have extra depth is a better gauge of actual understanding.
    I completely agree with you.

Also, for those who are saying they should scrap coursework, have you ever been under exam pressure? It's a well known fact, that sometimes from influences outside the student's control, they can under-perform in an exam. The coursework, which has been completed in a reasonable amount of time, comparable to a task you may receive in a work environment, can salvage a grade. It can be the difference between universities (not to be melodramatic, but when it comes to a-level this is true). Not everybody 'cheats' in coursework, as you all seem to imply, but some students actually put a lot of hard work into their achievements in coursework! Michael Gove has taken away this lifeline, and the new education secretary (Nicky Morgan) seems in no mood to be changing his decisions.

ReputationRep:
    I did my first units of gcse science in year 9 because we were doing modular triple science. Then Michael Gove decided that it should all be linear and all my grades got scrapped.

ReputationRep:
    Okay now I can understand why Michael Gove isn't the most favoured man (ridiculing teachers, ridding vocational subjects etc.) but I think the amount of hate he's getting is blown out of proportion. I'm sure if he just reforms the curriculum without excluding vocational subjects and putting in place more work less money, and all the other horrible add ons mentioned, everyone would be in support of his shake up!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyle1198)
    This blog will give you some idea how divisive a character he is.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.