The Student Room Group

Ways in which men are oppressed in the UK.

Scroll to see replies

I'm an advocate of equality personally.

What I do hate, is how men are told to not show feelings. I think that's awful. If you're sad please just don't bury it. I've met people who just seem dead because they won't show any emotion and It's horrible.
I think there should be a feelings campaign where people are encouraged to express and just feel, cry, sniffle, just show you're upset (not in a bad, harmful way).

I also hate the idea of things being for males or females. For example I know a lot of guys who like crafts and making things, somehow people refer to them as girly, and it's ridiculous. Women don't own making things, nor do men own mowing the grass etc.
Silly thread. Where's your source? Most statistics are false, anyway.

Stop trying to create an argument and be glad you don't live in places like North Korea.
Original post by imtelling
Lets start with child custody:

Men are tremendously discriminated against in family courts. Women win 93% of child custody battles, and despite having hardly any visiting rights, are also forced to pay punitive costs to support the children they are not allowed to see -- payments which, a lot of the time at least, will be squandered on the mothers latest hair do or girls holiday away to Magaluf.

Would like to hear some more examples?

Ways in which men are oppressed in the uk:
----------------------------------------------------
( will edit list when new suggestions come in )

1: Child custody heavily biased in favour of women.

2: No support for male victims of domestic violence.

3: Discrimination in prison system, with men more likely to be jailed and serve longer sentences.

4: 84% of all homeless people are men.

5: Men more likely to commit suicide than women.

6: 96% of work related fatalities are men.

7: Being told to 'man up' and not complain when they dare to speak up about anti-male discrimination.

Gyms, men and women pay the same yet women get special treatment with women only hours and men get less hours a year in the gym as a result.
Original post by Fanticipation
Silly thread. Where's your source? Most statistics are false, anyway.

Stop trying to create an argument and be glad you don't live in places like North Korea.

Shall we just forget that people in the UK have problems that need looking into and just be thankful we don't live somewhere worse?

Or should we acknowledge that there are problems within society and actually try and do something?
The only issues men have in the UK I'd say are:

1. Mother given more favourable custody of their children in comparison to the father
2. The idea that 'men being raped doesn't exist/can't be raped' is still tossed around
3. Women are pushed over a lot when it comes to crimes compared to men, e.g. longer jail sentences

Other than that, nothing else really.
Original post by DiddyDec
Shall we just forget that people in the UK have problems that need looking into and just be thankful we don't live somewhere worse?

Or should we acknowledge that there are problems within society and actually try and do something?

There will always be problems in society. Women are far more oppressed than men. Both are oppressed, but some are more oppressed than others.

If you've got such a great issue with today's society I suggest you get off this forum and try something productive. That's half the problem - bark and no bite.
There will always be problems in society. Women are far more oppressed than men. Both are oppressed, but some are more oppressed than others.

If you've got such a great issue with today's society I suggest you get off this forum and try something productive. That's half the problem - bark and no bite.

And here we have it. This thread isn't about women. At no point was it said women don't have problems. But here we are discussing men.

I'm waiting for the feminists to help me with my inequalities.
And here we have it. This thread isn't about women. At no point was it said women don't have problems. But here we are discussing men.

Hahaha, ridiculous. Good luck mate.
Rape laws victimise men
I can't be bothered to argue wholly because 1. I agree with some points and am too tired to sift through which is which 2. It's hard to get invested in a thread that has been done so many times before. I will say though that male suicide isn't the fault of society, not really and work related accidents come down to men typically being in more dangerous jobs which they aren't forced into. They know the risks they're taking by going into certain fields of work just as the women do.
Original post by yellowcopter
The only issues men have in the UK I'd say are:

1. Mother given more favourable custody of their children in comparison to the father
2. The idea that 'men being raped doesn't exist/can't be raped' is still tossed around
3. Women are pushed over a lot when it comes to crimes compared to men, e.g. longer jail sentences

Other than that, nothing else really.

This. I understand these are valid issues that need addressing but I swear some men act like they're bloody second class citizens.
1: Child custody heavily biased in favour of women.
Obviously. How can a man breast feed a baby?
2: No support for male victims of domestic violence.
There is. But lets face it women don't rape men so much.
3: Discrimination in prison system, with men more likely to be jailed and serve longer sentences.
90% of murderers are men.
4: 84% of all homeless people are men.
99% of prostitutes are women.
5: Men more likely to commit suicide than women.
How is that discrimination?
6: 96% of work related fatalities are men.
100% of pregnancy related fatalities are women.
7: Being told to 'man up' and not complain when they dare to speak up about anti-male discrimination.
Man up. Stop complaining about anti-male discrimination.
(edited 9 years ago)
Hahaha, ridiculous. Good luck mate.

Why is it ridiculous? Feminism strives for equality of both men and women. We must address both of gender's issues for true equality.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33

erm, how many times do men come into feminist threads shouting "Herp, der what about the menzzz?"

And what about MRAs? If they spent less time bitching like little girls and doing half the productive things feminism has done, perhaps you'd start to see your inequalities addressed. If you're so angry, start your own movement. But of course you won't. You'll just whine about all the evil women on tsr, like the majority do.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Tai Ga
erm, how many times do men come into feminist threads shouting "Herp, der what about the menzzz?"

And what about MRAs? If they spent less time bitching like little girls and doing half the productive things feminism has done, perhaps you'd start to see your inequalities addressed. If you're so angry, start your own movement. But of course you won't. You'll just whine about all the evil women on tsr, like the majority do.

At what point did I ever complain about women?

The thread title is about men, I was simply showing that men do have problems too. I'm not even slightly angry. I just think that both the inequalities of men should be addressed at some point. And considering that feminism claims to be benefiting both men and women, it would be my assumption that the feminist movement might address at least some of the issue that men face.

MRAs are pretty pointless, they are trying to achieve the same goal as feminists but by focusing on men's issues only and feminists seem to only focus on women's issues. Surely if we all want equality, then we should focus on the problems that both genders face. We should all work together for a better future for everyone.
I'll raise an interesting point:
Homophobic MALES (I cant really comment for women on this) are perfectly ok with lesbians, yet two dudes get together and that's wrong?

Any stay-at-home Dad's still get laughed at, especially if the woman's working in some communities

Paternity leave AFTER birth - no point in it before, but I believe father's need just as much time to bond with their newborns
Original post by imtelling
Lets start with child custody:

Men are tremendously discriminated against in family courts. Women win 93% of child custody battles, and despite having hardly any visiting rights, are also forced to pay punitive costs to support the children they are not allowed to see -- payments which, a lot of the time at least, will be squandered on the mothers latest hair do or girls holiday away to Magaluf. .

The courts are not the reason mothers retain custody in the majority of divorces. And, not the reason many fathers aren't involved in their children's lives post-divorce.

Below are a few stats from a Pew Research Center analysis of the National Survey of Family Growth (NSFG) released in June of 2011.

Married Fathers:

According to the report, a married father spends on average 6.5 hours a week taking part in primary child care activities with his children. The married mother spends on average 12.9 hours. Since two-income households are now the norm, not the exception, the above information indicates that not only are mothers working, but they are also doing twice as much child care as fathers.

It only makes sense that mothers who have a closer bond due to the time spent caring for a child be the one more likely to retain primary custody after a divorce.

Divorced or Unwed Fathers:

More startling are the stats on absent fathers, or the amount of time fathers spend with children once the divorce is final. According to the above study, when fathers and children live separately, 22 percent of fathers see their children more than once a week. Twenty-nine percent of fathers see their children one to four times a month. The most disturbing fact though is that 27 percent of fathers have no contact with their children at all.

When you take into consideration that mothers spend more time taking care of children before divorce and only 22 percent of fathers take advantage of spending what I would consider quality time with their children after the divorce, the fact that more mothers retain custody seems reasonable... doesn't it?

Many men argue that family courts send the message that fathers are not essential to raising children. Not essential beyond the point of giving a percentage of their salaries to the mother of their children anyway. They argue that the courts consider them nothing more than weekend visitors and that so few fathers take an active role in parenting after divorce due to the blatant bias they experience during the divorce process and the determination of child custody.

Some fathers, those among the 27 percent who have no contact with their children post-divorce, may even argue that gender bias during divorce litigation is the reason they no longer engage in parenting or any form of relationship with their children.

But don't you need to take into consideration how child custody is decided in the majority of divorce cases before blaming gender bias on a father's post-divorce status? What do the statistics say about how custody is decided during divorce and whether or not there is a true gender bias?

According to DivorcePeers.com, the majority of child custody cases are not decided by the courts.

In 51 percent of custody cases, both parents agreed -- on their own -- that mum become the custodial parent.
In 29 percent of custody cases, the decision was made without any third party involvement.
In 11 percent of custody cases, the decision for mum to have custody was made during mediation.
In 5 percent of custody cases, the issue was resolved after a custody evaluation.
Only 4 percent of custody cases went to trial and of that 4 percent, only 1.5 percent completed custody litigation.
In other words, 91 percent of child custody after divorce is decided with no interference from the family court system. How can there be a bias toward mothers when fewer than 4 percent of custody decisions are made by the Family Court?

What do these statistics tell us?

1. Fathers are less involved in their children's care during the marriage.

2. Fathers are less involved in their children's lives after divorce.

3. Mothers gain custody because the vast majority of fathers choose to give them custody.

4. There is no Family Court bias in favor of mothers because very few fathers seek custody during divorce.

A gender bias argument should not be used by a divorced father unless he has personal experience and can back up that experience with proof. Until the statistics tell us that more than 4 percent of divorced fathers are seeking custody through the Family Court system, there are few men who have such experience and proof of a true "gender bias."
Original post by noobynoo

100% of pregnancy related fatalities are women.

Obviously lol men can't have pregnancy related fatalities, now can they?
Original post by yellowcopter
Obviously lol men can't have pregnancy related fatalities, now can they?

Exactly. So men don't have it so bad.
Reply 39
You're dumb.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending