Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What should i say in my reply ? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by squeakysquirrel)
    Astonishingly there are still some gullible people who reply to these.
    I know.

There are also some people who reply, taking the piss, unaware that their email address will now be flagged as 'genuine' and prompting every spammer known to man emailing them with shed loads of too-good-to-be true offers, plus various, ahem, 'adult stimulants'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    dayum, thanks for that. i was getting mixed up with Tonga which is in the Caribbean.
    You're welcome dear :grin:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by just a dad)
    I know.

There are also some people who reply, taking the piss, unaware that their email address will now be flagged as 'genuine' and prompting every spammer known to man emailing them with shed loads of too-good-to-be true offers, plus various, ahem, 'adult stimulants'.
    I assure you, Bear is not one of them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carnationlilyrose)
    I am sure the ladies already love you for your wit and charm, and anything else would be an irrelevance.
    could...could a... moderator ...no i must be realistic

ReputationRep:
    could...could a... moderator ...no i must be realistic
    I think we have already established what our relationship is. You may rise, Sir Bear, from your semi-recumbent posture. *gracious handwave*

ReputationRep:
    I assure you, Bear is not one of them.
    Fair enough, it was more a warning to anyone who gets one of these and feels like replying for a bit of fun. Even if they do so in the full knowledge that it's a scam. Don't.

It's like when you get the 'text STOP' spam texts. The last thing you should do is to 'text STOP'.

ReputationRep:
    Did you also get a call from George Agdgdgwngo?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by just a dad)
    Fair enough, it was more a warning to anyone who gets one of these and feels like replying for a bit of fun. Even if they do so in the full knowledge that it's a scam. Don't.

It's like when you get the 'text STOP' spam texts. The last thing you should do is to 'text STOP'.
    Very true, very true. There used to be a whole website devoted to baiting scammers like this, in which people made them do all kinds of ridiculous things and photograph themselves as proof, on the promise of paying the money, but I can't recall its name, now.
    Edit: this is it:

http://www.419eater.com/

The Bear is a charming, fun-loving prankster, aren't you, Bear?

ReputationRep:
    Very true, very true. There used to be a whole website devoted to baiting scammers like this, in which people made them do all kinds of ridiculous things and photograph themselves as proof, on the promise of paying the money, but I can't recall its name, now.
    Edit: this is it:

http://www.419eater.com/

The Bear is a charming, fun-loving prankster, aren't you, Bear?
    bear™ is often referred to as a complete pranker. at least that is what bear™ thinks they said

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RH03)
    Did you also get a call from George Agdgdgwngo?
    no..... how can i get in touch with him ? Is that a Welsh surname ?
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    no..... how can i get in touch with him ? Is that a Welsh surname ?
    Duhhh, look at the no vowels. But you don't contact him. You pronounce his name correctly and he contacts you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy98)
    Duhhh, look at the no vowels. But you don't contact him. You pronounce his name correctly and he contacts you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    :beard:

what trickery is this ?

ReputationRep:
    i got the same email from a weird creepy lady who tried to stalk me :eek:

i replied to just experiment and see what she says
    so i said "hey baby, wat's up"

then she replied asking me for my bank details and i was like 'damn, this lady is dangerous' :eek: :eek:

ReputationRep:
    today i received an amazing message in my inbox ?

"From Mrs xxxxx xxxxxx

My name is Mrs xxxxxx xxxxx I was born in Kuwait. I am married to Mr. xxxxx xxxxxx who worked with Kuwait embassy in TOGO for nine years before he died in the year 2013 We were married for eleven years without a child When my late husband was alive he deposited the sum of $4 Million in a Bank here in TOGO And Recently, My Doctor told me that I would not last for the next six months due to my cancer problem (cancer and stroke).Presently this money is still in the Bank. Having known my condition I am in need of a Hearted Individual that i will utilize this fund the way I am going to instruct he or her I want somebody that will use this fund according to the desire of my late husband to help the poor people, orphanages widows I took this decision because I dont have any child that will inherit this fund. As soon as I receive your reply I shall give you the contact of the Bank in TOGO I will also issue you an authorisation letter that will prove you the present beneficiary of this fund. You can contact me with this Altternative Email [email protected]

May GOD Bless you

Mrs xxxxx xxxxxx"

For obvious reasons i have redacted certain details.

How should i reply so that the transaction goes smoothly ? Also where is TOGO ? :dontknow:

given this lady's parlous state of health i obviously wish to press ahead immediately.
    Give her the details of various charity website's.

Obviously don't give your bank details so "she can transfer the funds".

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.