Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

B687 - Bottle Deposits Bill 2014 (Second Reading) Watch

• Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Qwertish)
    Yeah but you're asking them to send you the barcode so you can add it to a database. Why not flip it around and create the barcode yourself and just get the manufacturers to print it on the bottle?
    We could do, but it's probably easier for them to send us whatever barcode(s) they're using electronically and they can go on the system.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O133)
    We could do, but it's probably easier for them to send us whatever barcode(s) they're using electronically and they can go on the system.
    Given the number of bottles sold, ate you really confident of the governments ability to manage that database given their record.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Given the number of bottles sold, ate you really confident of the governments ability to manage that database given their record.
    It's not that difficult, they send the barcodes, we programme them into the computer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O133)
    It's not that difficult, they send the barcodes, we programme them into the computer.
    The government can hardly manage a tax system let alone programme thousands of bottle barcodes from hundreds of different manufacturers from all over the world into a system correctly.

By the way, you have failed to respond to my one big question....where is the money going to come from to pay for the implementation, control, operation and management of the system?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Politisphere)
    By the way, you have failed to respond to my one big question....where is the money going to come from to pay for the implementation, control, operation and management of the system?
    We have, I believe, a budget surplus in TSRland, and in any case the money spent on this is money that isn't spend on recycling plastic bottles.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O133)
    We have, I believe, a budget surplus in TSRland, and in any case the money spent on this is money that isn't spend on recycling plastic bottles.
    With a rail link, education of prisoners, first-aid training in school programmes, residential and historical property improvements and management, soldiers family pensions, meat inspection, metrication, NHS reform, mental health funding, green transport and homes, operation railways amongst other things all being paid for by this surplus, we must have one hell of a surplus (I never knew £30bn went so far).

Plastic bottles are disposed of by private companies being handled waste contracts at council level. Those contracts will still be handed out for paper etc.. so no saving there.

EDIT: I've asked around. We don't have a surplus as costing is so vague. So, care to explain where the money is coming from?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O133)
    Hardly. If you ask them to send you the barcodes to add your a Gov't database you'll be dealing with a separate barcode for every single minor variation in bottles. Add to that the fact that the bottle manufacturers aren't even the same people who will put the final label and product barcode on the bottle, it's mess.

You're much better off telling bottle manufacturers to print a code onto the bottle as part of the manufacturing process, and also tell them what code to use.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    This is definitely a much better bill than the first version now that the state bottle is gone but I still have a few issues.

The major one is "The charge applies first when the product is sold by the manufacturer, but must be maintained in all following transactions" So let's say that Coca Cola sells a bottle to Adorno Wholesale which then sells it to the MorgsieMart retailer which then sells it to Jarred the consumer. If a 25p charge is added on each transaction then that's going to be transferred onto me: it always does. I'll be paying at least 75p :eek: and I'd only be entitled to 25p back! That completely breaks the system. If you want to do this you'll need to ensure that the charge is only done at the last stage of the process, when the product is being sold for consumption.

Even without that issue, I'm concerned about the impact on the consumer anyway. Suppose they buy four bottles of juice, and a six pack of beers. If we assume you fix the first problem somehow, that's still
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.