Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why do th US always support Israel? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by felamaslen)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demogra...of_Israel#Jews

Ashkenazis are 47.5% of the Jewish population, the rest are from North Africa, the middle east and other areas. 20% of the population is Arab. Regardless, the US support has nothing to do with ethnicity.

False, the UN was the US, UK, France, Russia and China. Are you telling me that those four other countries could not have opposed the creation of Israel?
    for god's sake dude Ashkenazi Jews (47.5% of israel) are white (e.g. like sigmund freud), Mizrahi Jews are slightly tanned but still white (as many other white people are), and Sephardic Jews (together with mizahi jews forming the 50%) (e.g. people like spinoza) were white skinned too!

and yes it was composed of more than just america but america was basically the country in charge

ReputationRep:
    the only country in the region that will help them when the takeover happens.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zippity.doodah)
    for god's sake dude Ashkenazi Jews (47.5% of israel) are white (e.g. like sigmund freud), Mizrahi Jews are slightly tanned but still white (as many other white people are), and Sephardic Jews (together with mizahi jews forming the 50%) (e.g. people like spinoza) were white skinned too!

and yes it was composed of more than just america but america was basically the country in charge
    I'm beginning to suspect you're just one of those anti-American conspiracy theorists...

Anyway, the whole argument over whether or not a North African is "white" is ridiculous. If Sephardic and Mizrahi Jews are white, then so are Palestinians, Iraqis, Yemenis and Egyptians. So either everyone there is white, or nobody is (in my opinion, the Ashkenazis are white but the others are not - not that I give a damn about people's ethnicity). Therefore America's support of Israel has nothing to do with the whiteness of anybody's skin, QED.

ReputationRep:
    1) Israel is not white, it's Arab-Mid-east-African-European. Less than half white.
    2) America did not create Israel, the UN and British Empire and Zionist terrorists did. (Well, the British opposed it at first, but I don't want to go too far into it.)
    3) That is a conspiracy theory with no basis in reality.

America supports Israel because it is a liberal democracy, and as such, a reliable ally. This relationship originated from the Cold war.
    It's a conspiracy theory that Jewish neoconservatives have pretty much determined US foreign policy since they crystallised into thinktanks like PNAC? A conspiracy it may be, but obviously one plausible enough to provide substance for a Time article which ran,
    “A stronger Israel is very much embedded in the rationale for war with Iraq. It is a part of the argument that dare not speak its name, a fantasy quietly cherished by the neo-conservative faction in the Bush Administration and by many leaders of the American Jewish community."

I agree with you in that the "relationship originated from the Cold War". The below quote, particularly the emboldened part clarifies the "relationship" for those who don't know as much as we do.

"Jewish American organizations have taken the lead role in sponsoring and assisting Jewish arrivals from the former Soviet Union. Data from these organizations indicate that former Soviet Jewish émigrés are older on average than most other immigrant populations. One study found that more than one-third of Jewish immigrants from the former Soviet Union living in the New York area were at least fifty-five years old. Significantly, nearly two thirds of all Jewish immigrants from the former Soviet Union have close relatives in Israel, indicating the divided destinations of Jewish family migration during the post-Soviet period."

ReputationRep:
    I'm beginning to suspect you're just one of those anti-American conspiracy theorists...

Anyway, the whole argument over whether or not a North African is "white" is ridiculous. If Sephardic and Mizrahi Jews are white, then so are Palestinians, Iraqis, Yemenis and Egyptians. So either everyone there is white, or nobody is (in my opinion, the Ashkenazis are white but the others are not - not that I give a damn about people's ethnicity). Therefore America's support of Israel has nothing to do with the whiteness of anybody's skin, QED.
    I'm sorry but if you think someone like sigmund freud wasn't white then you're insane

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry but if you think someone like sigmund freud wasn't white then you're insane
    Didn't I just mention that I think Ashkenazis are, in fact, white? Please read...

ReputationRep:
    Didn't I just mention that I think Ashkenazis are, in fact, white? Please read...
    so then you're saying that someone like spinoza wasn't white?

ReputationRep:
    Spinoza was Dutch, he didn't come from North Africa (even though he was Sephardic)...

Anyway can we stop talking about this stupid subject? I don't want people getting the idea that I entertain the notion that this is important. Basically the point I wanted to make about ethnicity is that either Israel is "white" and the Palestinians are white, or Israel is only partly-"white" and the Palestinians are not white. In either case, the US support for Israel has nothing to do with ethnicity.

ReputationRep:
    I'm guessing he's saying Spinoza was Sephardic, neglecting the fact that Sephardim of 17th Century Western Europe aren't the Sephardim of present-day Israel (who are generally grouped with Mizrahim).

ReputationRep:
    There are lots of rich wealthy jewish people in america who fund politicians election campaigns if they agree to fully support jewish interests including isreal. Secondly, Any criticism of isreali actions is shutdown with the "anti-semetic" combo.
    thirdly, no offence but the media is dominated by jewish individuals and they support their people.

But there is nothing to say rich arabs can't do the same, but they are too busy outlawing homosexuality in their countries and then trying to sneak into the west to enjoy it and forcing their women to wear curtains while they fly to expensive brothels in the west

So in short, the jewish community is doing what most of us would do if we had the chance

ReputationRep:
    1) Israel is not white, it's Arab-Mid-east-African-European. Less than half white.
    2) America did not create Israel, the UN and British Empire and Zionist terrorists did. (Well, the British opposed it at first, but I don't want to go too far into it.)
    3) That is a conspiracy theory with no basis in reality.

America supports Israel because it is a liberal democracy, and as such, a reliable ally. This relationship originated from the Cold war.
    In what way is Israel African?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cornelius)
    In what way is Israel African?
    In the way that 25.85% of its Jewish population consists of immigrants from Africa?

ReputationRep:
    In the way that 25.85% of its Jewish population consists of immigrants from Africa?
    Well if you're talking about Jewish immigrants from Africa then the number is more like 15%*.

But that's not what you were saying because you contrasted it with "white". You were talking about ethnicity. Being an immigrant from an African country however doesn't make you ethnically African (whatever that might mean - "Berber" or "Black" or whichever ethnicities are regarded as African). Jews from Africa aren't necessarily any less "white" or "non-white" than Jews from Europe. And you can see that in the case of Ashkenazi and Sephardi Jews. Despite what people say, both groups are extremely close genetically** and it's not the case that one group is "white" and the other "non-white".

We are however using vague and (imo) ridiculous notions of ethnicity. White is an ill defined term so I suppose if by white you mean Jewish immigrant from Europe then fair enough.

*http://www.cbs.gov.il/reader/shnaton..._25&CYear=2012
    **http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/10/sc...jews.html?_r=0

ReputationRep:
    Its foreign policy is controlled by Zionists.

Two jewish professors wrote a now famous book, called 'the Israel Lobby' which exposes the power of the various Zionist lobbies in the United States:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Isr...Foreign_Policy

ReputationRep:
    Muslims have 56 nations who bloc vote at the UN. There are 22 Arab states within that.

If you couple the 56-nation bloc vote with their oil-dependent allies like many African nations as well as left wing anti-US states like South America, you get an automatic majority against the state of Israel.

This is how they have managed to ram through all those resolutions (despite the fact most are non-binding).

There are also many European states who are worried about the Muslims in their nation carrying out attacks etc. We see French Muslims already smashing up France again because of the Gaza conflict.

Chaim Herzog was Israel's ambassador to the UN. His book was very interesting. He said that at the UN, the votes would basically be 'bought' against Israel and that Ambassadors would come to him and apologise saying "we had to vote against you, we need the oil" etc.

So the US is the only power that can balance this out by vetoing these constant resolutions.

The UN Human rights council spends most of its time on Israel. The Arab states continually lobby the council with anti-Israel statements. Whilst 250,000 indigenous Darfurians were being massacred by Arabs, the UN was spending something like 80% of its time discussing Israel.

Utterly shameful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cornelius)
    Well if you're talking about Jewish immigrants from Africa then the number is more like 15%*.

But that's not what you were saying because you contrasted it with "white". You were talking about ethnicity. Being an immigrant from an African country however doesn't make you ethnically African (whatever that might mean - "Berber" or "Black" or whichever ethnicities are regarded as African). Jews from Africa aren't necessarily any less "white" or "non-white" than Jews from Europe. And you can see that in the case of Ashkenazi and Sephardi Jews. Despite what people say, both groups are extremely close genetically** and it's not the case that one group is "white" and the other "non-white".

We are however using vague and (imo) ridiculous notions of ethnicity. White is an ill defined term so I suppose if by white you mean Jewish immigrant from Europe then fair enough.

*http://www.cbs.gov.il/reader/shnaton..._25&CYear=2012
    **http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/10/sc...jews.html?_r=0
    If an Iraqi Jew or a Moroccan Jew or an Ethiopian Jew is white then a Palestinian is also white, in which case the entire "white" thing has no basis in reality with respect to the conflict and the US' position on it, and that was the fundamental point I was making.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chindits)
    Why does the EU and UN support 'palestinians'?
    well what's currently been going on?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guy Secretan)
    I just wondered
    1. Many (though not all) Americans identify themselves as Christians. Unlike the Crusaders who killed Jewish people as well as Muslims, and unlike the 'Christians' who persecuted Jewish people in Europe, many American Christians understand that Jesus is Jewish, and because of Jesus Christ (Yeshua), they support Israel.

2. Many Americans are Jewish, or have Jewish friends. The ties to Israel are in part due to family and friendship ties.

3. The Jewish holocaust traumatized the USA. American soldiers saw first-hand the results of the hatred of the Nazis against the Jews. Due to what the USA saw in the Nazi concentration camps, efforts tripled to help the Jewish people have their own state, in the land that had been Israel before Rome destroyed Israel. (2070 will be the anniversary of the Roman destruction of Israel.)

Anyways, the USA and Israel are allies, like the UK and the USA are allies. However, unlike the UK, Israel has a special spiritual significance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guy Secretan)
    Also it must be because they buy a lot of american military equipment and are one of their strongest allies in a region which is mostly anti US.
    Buy? Lol

Never has such a wealthy, genocidal nation in history received so much "aid" to continue murdering people and expand their borders.

Never in history has there been a terrorist nation of this magnitude. State terrorism at it's best and in broad daylight. Meanwhile , we're chasing "Al Qaeda." If it wasn't so tragic I'd laugh

ReputationRep:
    When Obama says he supports 'Israel's right to defend itself' he is obviously just towing the part line when they are just bombing and slaughtering an already opressed people .

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.