Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My family call me fat Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    You ought to speak up for yourself and tell them to back off. Consuming 500 calories a day is far from healthy and could lead to a severe eating disorder/ mental-health issues. You are NOT fat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I think I will Google it. Comparing myself to other women is a huge problem for me.
    Thank you so much for your help. You've been so much help, thank you
    You're welcome, feel free to message me any time about it.

ReputationRep:
    I have been struggling with weight and self-esteem problems for TWO YEARS. Calling me fat after my two years of slaving away, trying to get my weight down is tasteless and hurtful.
    learn to deal with it then, stop crying over yourself and learn to realise that nobody's perfect - if you let people do this to you then you aren't deserving of sympathy because it's practically self-induced if you're this much of a baby about it - I used to be fat, and I lost weight not because people in my family were pressuring me to (although I did get called fat by my siblings), I did it because I wanted to do it for myself and my image/ego

ReputationRep:
    I am the same size as you and weight...honestly you need to start feeling good about yourself....have a good look in the mirror. I felt exactly the same as you with the dieting and excersize but i looked in the mirror and i realised i'm not fat, i'm curvy and so i decided to look at my self in a new light.

Your family needs to stop saying things to you because they will push you somewhere so deep that you will never recover...have you tried to talk to them and asked whether they are joking or actually being serious...If they are not joking or they abuse you more...(name-calling is a form of abuse) then talk to someone professional for guidance on what to do

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    Girl listen right now. Stop trying to please your batsh** crazy family. Stop losing weight for them. You're size 10, 5'9 - you're describing a model! What's wrong with your family?
    Your sister is either jealous of you in some way, or her brain is underdeveloped and she's a mean person naturally, sorry. Your brother is just teasing you, my siblings always call me fat even though I know I'm slim.
    Just call them fat back. Even your dad. You should totally do that, tell them they're fat too as a joke, like fooling around, see if they find it funny. And don't let your sister borrow clothes if she's going to be rude! What kind of person does that.
    Stop eating 1000 calories a day! Do you want to get wrinkles? Weak teeth and bones? Dull hair, greyish skin and age sooner? Didn't think so. Strong is the new skinny - exercise! It will make you feel better and you'll be looking great as well as have healthy insides (much more important that exterior looks). Do it for you, not them. Eat healthy (this also includes recommended daily calories) to get beautiful skin, shiny hair and a good heart.

Please girl stop listening to them! This awful eating pattern I'm reading about is hurting my soul! You focus on yourself! Good luck hon.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a female, 5'9, UK size 10 and weigh about 62kg.

I've been feeling **** about my weight for almost 2 years now. It started when my dad saw me wearing shorts and told me (whilst pointing to my legs)- 'see? You are fat'.
    I've been trying to lose weight for almost 2 years now. My friends tell me I'm skinny and I don't need to lose any, but I just can't stop myself.
    Lately, I've taken to calorie counting and exercising. I now eat under 1000 calories a day; 1500 on a bad day and 500 on a good day. I exercise a lot. Finally, I am starting to notice a change in my weight. I'm quite slim now.
    However, my family just doesn't stop. My sister (who is the same height as me) borrows my clothes regularly, and always makes a song and a dance about how they're 'far too big for her' when they clearly fit her. Whenever I borrow hers, she says 'oh, they won't fit you' when they do fit perfectly.
    Just today, my brother said that it was me that broke the bed because 'I'm too fat'. My mum makes jibes about my weight but then refuses to let me diet.

To counteract this, I won't eat at all tomorrow. I'm very good at controlling myself when it comes to food.
    However, I feel like I'm just spiralling into a constant routine of dieting and feeling utterly **** about myself.

How can I get my family to shut up?
    That's strange :/ Your weight for your height is completely fine, far from overweight! In fact, I'm shorter than you and I almost weigh the same but no one has ever truly told me that I'm fat. The fact that your friends comment positively about your size is just another proof as to why you really do not need to loose weight.
    What you might need to do instead is find a way to not be affected one bit by what your family say, its really strange that they would all say that though... is there more to this? for example maybe you used to be a little chubby as a baby/toddler so they've joked about it all along? maybe next time they make a comment you should try laughing it off or reply with something clever or simply say 'thanks!' and move on, that might throw them off a bit. If not then you can only talk to them truthfully so they get just how much its affecting you.
    God bless :^_^:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 20, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.